Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Offer CCS charging adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know, the only option for charging at a CCS charger in the US was to buy the Setec charger, but I found mention of Tesla offering an adapter in the 2021+ Model S owner's manual (p. 177).

CCS.png

With supercharging going to open up to CCS cars in North America, it only makes sense that CCS gets opened up to Tesla. Personally I've held off getting a CHAdeMO adapter in favor of getting a CCS adapter. Hopefully we see that in the coming months!

Reactions: theothertom
That's doubtful as the manual is specific to North America.

View attachment 707062
That might be, but it doesn't mean that the content within isn't shared among other regions. The section you referenced, in fact, says to go to the website and select your region. The fact that you can't go to the Tesla website and buy a CCS adapter is proof enough (for me anyway) that it doesn't exist today.

Does that mean it won't in the future? No...I fully expect it to be available in the future. But I'm certainly not holding my breath.

They have announced that they will make a ccs1 adapter for South Korea. I have read that this has been delayed:

I found the article talking about the delay:

South Korea and North America use the same CCS1 standard.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it happened one day with Elon claiming to allow other makers access to the SC network to make it up to Tesla owners. I’d jump on one immediately. I have the Chademo adapter, which I’ve used once, and a CCS adapter would be much more practical and useful.

Reactions: theothertom
Well, there's no law against it, but apparently Tesla has bricked the use of the Setec adapter.
Just to verify - has everyone who bought the Setec adapter and tried it found that it does not work? I was interested in one of these because the Chademo chargers are few and unreliable (The Electrify America ones work about half the time, in my experience).... and I don't see an option to get Tesla to add this to my existing 2016 Model S... are all of us just out of luck on this?

Just to verify - has everyone who bought the Setec adapter and tried it found that it does not work? I was interested in one of these because the Chademo chargers are few and unreliable (The Electrify America ones work about half the time, in my experience).... and I don't see an option to get Tesla to add this to my existing 2016 Model S... are all of us just out of luck on this?
Well, I answered my own question; see here:
Setec usage blocked in current Tesla software release. This is very inconsiderate of Tesla if they don't have a solution of their own to offer... time will tell, I guess...

Reactions: RTPEV
Don't know about the S. Maybe there are some answers in this thread:

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
To summarize the (currently) 57-page thread to which @theothertom referred, the Setec adapter had serious problems when it was first released in the US, but Setec quickly produced a series of new firmware releases for it that fixed most of the problems. (The adapter has firmware that users can update via a Windows program.) With Tesla's 2021.24.x firmware, though, Tesla has essentially disabled the Setec adapter on the Tesla Model 3/Y, although it still works on the S (and presumably the X). It's been this way for a couple of weeks now, but Setec is providing owners with pre-release builds intended to overcome Tesla's breakage. AFAIK, none of these has yet worked, but the odds of one working eventually are high; it's a matter of Setec deducing (or guessing) what Tesla is using to disable the adapter and then coming up with a software countermeasure. (This assumes that a software countermeasure is possible, of course; it's conceivable that Tesla is detecting something about the adapter that can't be changed in software.) Some very recent reporting is that Tesla has claimed, to at least one customer, that the breakage was intentional because of safety concerns, but that was a claim by a customer service representative to an individual customer, not an official statement by Tesla, so I personally take that claim with a small grain of salt. In any event, if it was intentional breakage, then this could just be the beginning of a cycle of breakage by Tesla followed by workarounds by Setec, until one or the other side gives up. Note also that, although the S/X has not (so far) been affected by this breakage, AFAIK, there's no guarantee that it won't be affected in the future. Also, an earlier Tesla firmware update did reduce the maximum charge speed from the Setec adapter on the S/X from 200A (70kW or 80kW, depending on pack voltage) to 125A (50kW or lower). Model 3/Y have always had the 125A/50kW limit with the Setec adapter.

At this point in time, I couldn't recommend that anybody buy the Setec CCS1 adapter. The best-case scenario is that Setec will come up with a workaround and Tesla won't be able to counter it (or they won't want to); but the worst-case scenario is that Setec won't be able to fix even the current issue, and that Tesla will eventually lock out the Setec adapter even on the S/X. In the latter case, the only way you'd be able to use the Setec adapter would be with older firmware on your Tesla, and of course keeping your Tesla on older firmware will become increasingly disadvantageous as time goes on. If you need the ability to charge a Tesla at non-Tesla DC fast chargers now, then your best bet is Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. That said, Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is usually out of stock and therefore difficult to obtain, and CHAdeMO is becoming less common, as a proportion of non-Tesla DC fast chargers, as time goes on. Thus, the hope in the medium-term is that Tesla will eventually release their own CCS1-to-Tesla adapter in North America, but whether they'll do so, what it will cost if they do, and what its features might be, all remain speculative.

Sorry to not have good answers, or even anything very definitive, but that's where we are right now -- in limbo.

To summarize the (currently) 57-page thread to which @theothertom referred, the Setec adapter had serious problems when it was first released in the US, but Setec quickly produced a series of new firmware releases for it that fixed most of the problems. (The adapter has firmware that users can update via a Windows program.) With Tesla's 2021.24.x firmware, though, Tesla has essentially disabled the Setec adapter on the Tesla Model 3/Y, although it still works on the S (and presumably the X). It's been this way for a couple of weeks now, but Setec is providing owners with pre-release builds intended to overcome Tesla's breakage. AFAIK, none of these has yet worked, but the odds of one working eventually are high; it's a matter of Setec deducing (or guessing) what Tesla is using to disable the adapter and then coming up with a software countermeasure. (This assumes that a software countermeasure is possible, of course; it's conceivable that Tesla is detecting something about the adapter that can't be changed in software.) Some very recent reporting is that Tesla has claimed, to at least one customer, that the breakage was intentional because of safety concerns, but that was a claim by a customer service representative to an individual customer, not an official statement by Tesla, so I personally take that claim with a small grain of salt. In any event, if it was intentional breakage, then this could just be the beginning of a cycle of breakage by Tesla followed by workarounds by Setec, until one or the other side gives up. Note also that, although the S/X has not (so far) been affected by this breakage, AFAIK, there's no guarantee that it won't be affected in the future. Also, an earlier Tesla firmware update did reduce the maximum charge speed from the Setec adapter on the S/X from 200A (70kW or 80kW, depending on pack voltage) to 125A (50kW or lower). Model 3/Y have always had the 125A/50kW limit with the Setec adapter.

At this point in time, I couldn't recommend that anybody buy the Setec CCS1 adapter. The best-case scenario is that Setec will come up with a workaround and Tesla won't be able to counter it (or they won't want to); but the worst-case scenario is that Setec won't be able to fix even the current issue, and that Tesla will eventually lock out the Setec adapter even on the S/X. In the latter case, the only way you'd be able to use the Setec adapter would be with older firmware on your Tesla, and of course keeping your Tesla on older firmware will become increasingly disadvantageous as time goes on. If you need the ability to charge a Tesla at non-Tesla DC fast chargers now, then your best bet is Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. That said, Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is usually out of stock and therefore difficult to obtain, and CHAdeMO is becoming less common, as a proportion of non-Tesla DC fast chargers, as time goes on. Thus, the hope in the medium-term is that Tesla will eventually release their own CCS1-to-Tesla adapter in North America, but whether they'll do so, what it will cost if they do, and what its features might be, all remain speculative.

Sorry to not have good answers, or even anything very definitive, but that's where we are right now -- in limbo.
Thanks- good analysis on the current status on the CCS-1 adapter

Call me naive or a dreamer, but I’d rather Tesla build more SuperChargers then trying to find another DCFC that is working.
That’s fine except they’ll build those chargers in California or somewhere else thousands of miles away from me in Oklahoma.

There are 200kW CCS stations all around me I could be using TODAY at Supercharger-like speeds all over rural Oklahoma but because I only have a Chademo adapter, I’m limited to ~45kW.