Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla To Offer Home Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to offer a “Home Charging Installation Program,” a $1,000 option available at purchase that eliminates the need for customers to source their own external electrician. The goal is to simplify the process of purchasing an electric vehicle.

The service is currently only available to customers in North America.

According to information on Tesla’s configurator website, the installation can be a 240-volt outlet to use Tesla’s mobile connector or a full hardwired Tesla Wall Connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gunn
LoL, for the low price of $1K huh..? May not be a bad deal if it comes with the mobile bundle connector or the actual HPWC.

You're paying for the convenience and "piece of mind" that you don't have to externally source an electrician.

Last edited:
Actually this is a great price in the Bay Area if you are doing permits which I would think they would do. The question is a flat $1000 likely covers the most simplistic installations. Anything other than running wire would likely be more.

This is great news! I've been hoping they do something like this. This was a sore point for the wealthy people buying Roadster, Model S & Model X before, so cleaning this up a bit will be very welcome for the more mass market Model 3. Before, it was a few thousand dollar annoyance for people used to dealing with contractors and few thousand dollar annoyances; now, with cheaper mass market cars and the people buying them, they have no idea how to hire contractors often, and many of them would consider "a few thousand dollars plus or minus" to be an amazingly huge amount of money. This is the last possible moment Tesla can pick to fix up this side of their business to avoid widespread hurt, and it's about time, but I'm glad they're actually doing it.

So, that is $1,000 in addition to the cost of the charger? No thanks, I can get a licensed electrician who has done a few already to do it for $200.

Every building is different. There's often complications. The usual cost is probably closer to $600, and so all of those cases where it turns out to be more like $1,200, Tesla just pockets the difference from the $500 installs and covers the $1,300 installs and so on. It's kind of a one size fits all install price. Or, trying to save about $400, you can spend about $300 worth of your time hunting around looking for electricians, and maybe get someone that might know what they're doing maybe, and take another $200 day off and maybe get fired to be there when they're there so you can try to explain to them how this electric horse works with an electric tail. Your luck is all the electricians in the area hate Tesla. This option available straight from the company is a fantastic idea.

They can roll it into any other services they're also installing, like solar and PowerWall. One contact point. They mentioned this years ago in shareholder conference calls. They're actually doing it, is the message I'm getting from this, in little bits and pieces. Let's go Tesla! Get the whole thing rolled up into one contact point and make this work.

So, that is $1,000 in addition to the cost of the charger? No thanks, I can get a licensed electrician who has done a few already to do it for $200.
Wiring a NEMA 14-50 right next to distribution pane, sure. Running it 50' out, AWG6 wiring alone will run you over $200, and that doesn't include any weatherproof pipes, receptacle, and of course labor. HPWC, 100A wiring even more expensive (and tougher to work with), in most places it requires a 100A safety switch ($150-$300). Add to that having to drill through walls, run conduits, etc, etc. Costs really vary depending on what you have to do. Just because you spent $200 on a simple job, doesn't mean all the installs are that simple (I have 2 NEMA-14-50 and 1 HPWC wired in my garage, parts alone not counting any labor, inspection, or the actual HPWC unit varied from ~$40 to ~$500).

Since this is an optional service, you can always choose whether you want to pay them $1000 or find your own electrician. In your case, you chose to pay $200 to an electrician. Someone who doesn't want the hassle will pay $1,000 to Tesla for convenience. And yet another person will self install for $40. The beauty of choice! :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ulmo and tony b