Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Owners. Please Don't Pimp Your Ride.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly....it's fully legal for me as I am LEO and have a permit from the RMV. Otherwise it would be totally illegal. I get the occasional good-natured grief from other officers about the cost but far more requests for rides.... If only I had insane mode on mine!

Have you added any radios to the car? There's another thread discussing ham radio installation, antenna mounting options, etc.

How much 12v current is available?

Have you added any radios to the car? There's another thread discussing ham radio installation, antenna mounting options, etc.

How much 12v current is available?

I have not done any radio install, just lights and siren. With today's portables being so good I just carry my portable and keep it in the storage tray at my feet. I also did not want to drill any holes in the body for the antenna. I had some concerns about power and the many reports of dead 12V battery. Couldn't get much of an answer from Tesla about what was "safe" so decided to stick with just the LEDs which draw very little. I talked to the local SC and was told that as long as the vehicle is "on" (with enough weight in the driver's seat) the 12V will keep itself charged off the main battery. Basically they said if I don't just park it with the lights going for an extended period of time I should be fine. One local police chief told me that Tesla had donated a couple of vehicles to a local CA dept fully decked out for patrol but he didn't know which one. He said he tried to get it approved for his town but the selectmen wouldn't go for the extra cost.

Tesla itself offers cast 21" wheels on its car. The included rubber-band tires don't afford sufficient protection to absorb pot holes, so customers regularly experience bends in these soft, oversize wheels. Blaming customers for political fallout because they change wheels and tires is borderline hilarious. More people go DOWN to 20" wheels than up beyond 21" wheels. Tesla's failure to offer a performance wheel option from the factory that has a life expectancy of a few years is the real risk of brand besmirchment here, not anything customers are doing. If Tesla offered forged 20-inch OEM wheels in an approved offset and fitment, I'd buy a set in a heartbeat for my ordered (and just now serial-numbered) P85D. Instead, I'll likely go aftermarket and probably get the wrong load rating, offsets that put undue stress on the bearings, and tires that rub the fender liners.

pimp-man.jpg

I pimped my Ride:

Tesla itself offers cast 21" wheels on its car. The included rubber-band tires don't afford sufficient protection to absorb pot holes, so customers regularly experience bends in these soft, oversize wheels. Blaming customers for political fallout because they change wheels and tires is borderline hilarious. More people go DOWN to 20" wheels than up beyond 21" wheels. Tesla's failure to offer a performance wheel option from the factory that has a life expectancy of a few years is the real risk of brand besmirchment here, not anything customers are doing. If Tesla offered forged 20-inch OEM wheels in an approved offset and fitment, I'd buy a set in a heartbeat for my ordered (and just now serial-numbered) P85D. Instead, I'll likely go aftermarket and probably get the wrong load rating, offsets that put undue stress on the bearings, and tires that rub the fender liners.

And the burden of proof to show these are causing failures somewhere else would be their responsibility; not yours as the customer.

That said, Im not sure by using the word "regular" what you mean in terms of failure of the 21" wheels...that sounds like an overstatement to me. I haven't seen a lot of fall out beyond personal preference in terms of people opting for 19" or 21" wheels.

It's a quote from their 10K regulatory filing. That filing will also contain language like "if we are unable to fill critical positions on our staff this may affect our ability to execute according to plan"...

So please understand it in its context. The article certainly doesn't make that all that clear.

dirkhh's point is being overlooked in this thread. The 10K filing contains dozens of similarly crazy sounding issues. There's nothing unusual about it at all. It really is just to prevent shareholder lawsuits.

dirkhh's point is being overlooked in this thread. The 10K filing contains dozens of similarly crazy sounding issues. There's nothing unusual about it at all. It really is just to prevent shareholder lawsuits.

I get the whole E-car amazing spaceship ahead of its time concept of Tesla. That said, other manufacturers have the same "risk" yet I don't think that other manufacturers place this in their 10K to avoid risk. It sounds more like a disconnection from reality and the market in general; IMHO its serving to make them look dangerous compared to other cars. I think that it actually doesn't serve the shareholders well to suggest that their cars are so specialized that if someone puts aftermarket wheels or a custom spoiler on them they risk spoiling the car. It makes them sound poorly designed. Its one thing for Tesla to feel like some of the dignity is leaking from the car as it drives down the road with pink vinyl wrap or spinner caps; its quite another to say that its dangerous to do so (I am saying this because failing parts is indeed dangerous).

The standard in the market (at least in North America) is personalization. So much so that there are laws to protect the consumer from such nonsense and this statement made by Tesla. A part that is TUV and/or DOT approved and spec'd to work with the car will be next to impossible to argue that it has caused a fault in the MS running gear. Comments made earlier in the thread where Tesla wouldn't help with sensors because the customer was using T-sportline wheels - that's just unacceptable.

It's a quote from their 10K regulatory filing. That filing will also contain language like "if we are unable to fill critical positions on our staff this may affect our ability to execute according to plan"...

So please understand it in its context. The article certainly doesn't make that all that clear.
Yeah, 10Ks are full of paranoid warnings like this. It means nothing. (Tesla, however, is failing to warn about some of the risk factors they *should* be warning about -- like "we may be violating the copyright licenses of a large number of people and may be exposed to lawsuits for copyright infringment" -- which is very sloppy and exposes them to shareholder lawsuits later. I think Tesla's legal department is completely incompetent.)