Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to produce all-wheel drive Model S sedan next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, I think this is more a product of current ICE AWD systems in which all four wheels are connected in some way. As the front and rear are not connected in any way on Model X (and presumably Model S AWD if it even happens) and can be driven completely independent of each other, I think this will be a non issue. I think electric AWD systems completely throw out a lot of the old rules about AWD in terms of driveline efficiency losses, tire wear, and many others...

FYI, some hybrids (like Toyota Highlander) have electric RWD separate from the FWD driveline.
hinrg.jpg

If you have driven the S on ice/snow/mud you realise how little power it takes to keep the car going as opposed to bogging down. Decreasing the TC effect just a bit (a SLIPPERY position) would be helpful. The AWD needed here is more like the 'front wheel assist' that is popular in the tractor realm. Just enough torque to keep the front wheels turning slightly faster than ground speed. This could conceivably be delivered by rim-drive units although these would increase unsprung weight. Or very small inboard motors that disconnect completely (freewheel) above 20 mph. A retro-fit kit would be awesome.

@brianman: Is that the Bebe?? [Help us out here]. :confused:
--

I'm willing to bet based on this: Careers | Tesla Motors
that there is no AWD Model S mule rolling around yet.

Cut and paste from job posting:
· Required to build ‘mule’ model S 4WD vehicles by modifying model S 2WD vehicles.
· Cut and shut current structure to incorporate a front powertrain
- Fabrication and welding experience with some structural capability (good engineering judgment) is also ideal.

Last edited:
I'm willing to be based on this: Careers | Tesla Motors
that there is no AWD Model S mule rolling around yet.

Cut and paste from job posting:
· Required to build ‘mule’ model S 4WD vehicles by modifying model S 2WD vehicles.
· Cut and shut current structure to incorporate a front powertrain
- Fabrication and welding experience with some structural capability (good engineering judgment) is also ideal.

Great find. I'm surprised they aren't even trying to hide it. Guess that confirms things.

Great find. I'm surprised they aren't even trying to hide it. Guess that confirms things.

No reason to hide it. Tesla has said that Model X will be based on the S platform and the X will have AWD option. Sooner later they need to play with an S platform based AWD. It then makes sense to look at a Model S AWD option but that doesn't mean it will come before the X or even at all; won't they have to re-do safety and crash testing for an AWD Model S?

No reason to hide it. Tesla has said that Model X will be based on the S platform and the X will have AWD option. Sooner later they need to play with an S platform based AWD. It then makes sense to look at a Model S AWD option but that doesn't mean it will come before the X or even at all; won't they have to re-do safety and crash testing for an AWD Model S?

I know it's not top secret but thought they would have hired someone to work on it then told them to keep quite about it until the Model X launch.

Why not? Automakers create cars all the time that look like one thing but test a different engine/powertrain. The Model S and X share the same platform so would be simple for them to do early tests on it now. The purpose of the testing wouldn't be for an AWD Model S but rather to test the system for the Model X until the alphas and betas come online.

Exactly David. When we rode in the X at the debut they made it clear that it was not AWD but it was easy to tell in conversations that they already had AWDs in testing. This was in Feb 2012.

I think it would be a good thing for Tesla to announce a Model S AWD based on the Model X drivetrain and start to accept reservations as soon as possible for it.

I think that would be a mistake. Initially they should avoid diverting 4WD away from Model X until they have it right. (Once they have it right they'll have performance 4WD which means that they can do everything.)

To this concern I would like to add that IMO many persons, also among TMC Members from what I read, could be interestested to an AWD Model S. So why not to produce the Model X and the AWD Model S together in order to allow a better choice to somebody interested to the Tesla AWD System?

Agree. But I thought that the AWD drivetrain for Model X is ready and that Tesla is only developing the Model X as a whole.

They may think it's ready, but as it's new, software-controlled electric 4WD I'd hope they'd want to make sure it's right in one product before adding it to another. There's plenty of demand for the 2WD Model S, and there's also a very pressing need to get the driver assistance tech completed as well as continue work on reducing vampire draw. In my view a 4WD Model S would be an unnecessary distraction to the business.