Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus, I hope he isn't drinking when he comes up with this game changing feature. Please no Falcon Wing Doors, no freaky backseats that won't fold down, traditional truck with class leading cargo, towing and cabin space - I want it to eat Raptors for breakfast, tow 7500 lbs, have range to get home at the end of hard day of playing. Also have power backup for my home.

Jesus, I hope he isn't drinking when he comes up with this game changing feature. Please no Falcon Wing Doors, no freaky backseats that won't fold down, traditional truck with class leading cargo, towing and cabin space - I want it to eat Raptors for breakfast, tow 7500 lbs, have range to get home at the end of hard day of playing. Also have power backup for my home.

AMEN! The last thing I want on my pickup is something as weird and problematic as the doors that answered a question few were asking. The idea of a pickup that can regen as I'm crawling down trails is the winner for me. So much potential is wasted on braking on current trucks. PLUS, add in something akin to a worksite generator right in the truck and I'm sold.

The only “game changing” feature I can come up with is a trick suspension that effectively slams the truck for highway cruise efficiency (and eases loading & unloading) but is also competent off-road when raised and can clear the rear motor from the ground. Basically it would be a suspension that has 6 or 8” or more of adjustment travel, not the 2” you get from the Model X air suspension.

Without something like this, the truck bed would need to be very high if it has a motor in back and the ground clearance is typical of a truck. Normally a truck just has the differential below the bed. Putting a drive unit back there creates a packaging challenge to maintain a low bed.

I dont know about that challenge, the current electric motor is about the size of a paint can and could easily fit under a truck bed in the place of a differential, you would just need to armor it or add a skid plate. Note those are 21 inch tires, imagine this same setup with 35 inch tires and a long travel suspension. Also double stack the batteries on top of the current cells and you have plenty of room. Remember you usually have single or twin 50 gallon tanks eating space under the body of a truck.

I suspect the surprise is a cab forward design increasing cargo and passenger room. Imagine a roomy six passenger cab and full 8 foot bed in a shorter wheelbase.

upload_2017-12-26_23-6-1.png

1989 Volkswagen T3 Doka Jagdwagen Syncro (what they call a truck in South Africa)

Attachments

• VW Truck.jpg
    VW Truck.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Problem with the cab forward design is the aesthetics. Violates the current norms for Pick-ups (F150, Ram, etc...). Won’t work except possibly for fleet trucks. Your average pick up buyer would not buy that design. Needs a “frunk”.

I suspect that there will be extra height for ground clearance and off-roading, and with that, there will be extra armor. As a consequence, they may even be able to get some minor amphibious capability with an AWD Tesla Pick up... that would be neat.

I suspect the surprise is a cab forward design increasing cargo and passenger room. Imagine a roomy six passenger cab and full 8 foot bed in a shorter wheelbase.
I imagine it'll be hard enough to market an electric truck to petrol head truck guys. Making the front half look like a minivan won't help.

But yeah, a crew cab with an 8 foot bed with the overall length of my crew cab/6.5 foot bed? That's interesting...

I have to add that I do think it will be different form than a typical ICE truck. The hood will be small (relatively) I expect, similar to the nose on the semi. Shrink down the black semi-sized pick up truck to F150 size. Basically, this image with a slightly longer hood and a 4-door crew cab, seating 5:

tw-tesla-pickup-truck-model-renders.jpg

I think this could also have an 8' bed but the the length of today's 6.5' bed crew cabs. Maybe the "game changer" is as simple as having an 8' bed and 4 doors?

Reactions: Brando
I have been a devout Ford guy for 30 years and just had my Model X delivered last week... Will be trading my CMAX Energi for the Model 3 this summer when I receive my configuration invote. I think Elon will destroy the #1 best selling vehicle F-150 in less than 5 years. When can I reserve my Tesla truck? Sorry Ford.... at least I'm still buying American - a Tesla.

Please no Falcon Wing Doors, no freaky backseats that won't fold down, traditional truck with class leading cargo, towing and cabin space - I want it to eat Raptors for breakfast, tow 7500 lbs, have range to get home at the end of hard day of playing. Also have power backup for my home
7500 lbs? What kind of kids toy are you dreaming up? It better be able to tow at least double that or it'll be laughed at.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe