Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current Tesla designs are not unibody, they are skateboard frame/chassis + body.

To somewhat underscore this point, Elon has talked about using the skateboard for other things (i.e. the people movers inside boring co. tunnels, etc...). This would not be possible if the X were a unibody.

Why do you heel it has to be that way for the truck?

The skateboard consists of suspension components, powertrain components, and the battery pack - but until they're married to the chassis, if they weren't on a specially designed carrier I don't think they would be able to stay together on their own, at least not without flopping about and being unable to support their own weight (as a good portion of the suspension components are only attached at one end until marriage).

If you are thinking from memory of those images of Model S skateboards that can roll on their own, have another look :

Tesla_Model_S_skateboard.jpg

Everything in the "skateboard" is bolted to a chopped down unibody.

You can clearly see above that that's not true. What in the above diagram are you calling the skateboard?

I should have not posted before reading the rest of the thread. I thought the implication was that the platforms didn't have structural beams, but I do agree the construction of the Tesla platforms isn't traditional "ladder frame" with separate body construction.

The diagram does indeed help clarify that here.

Thanks.

While it is exciting to see the Ranger coming back... I have to say I saw something today that is extremely
disappointing... 18gallon tank. WTF? That is 450 mile range on the highway and less than 400 combined.
Why not a 24 gallon tank for 500miles combined range?? Ugh. The Tesla truck had better have 500 miles
of range.

• Funny
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
While it is exciting to see the Ranger coming back... I have to say I saw something today that is extremely
disappointing... 18gallon tank. WTF? That is 450 mile range on the highway and less than 400 combined.
Why not a 24 gallon tank for 500miles combined range?? Ugh. The Tesla truck had better have 500 miles
of range.
The international Diesel version goes farther than that, but once again we get the US Spec POS.... if you calculated that 19 gallon tank at the fuel sipping ~29 MPG (8.2L per 100km) that the diesel gets, you could go 551 miles!

Ford's Ranger Storm Concept is a cheaper Raptor lookalike that's not for US
July 25, 2018
Why does the Ford Ranger Raptor only have a 2.0-litre engine?
Downsized new Bi-Turbo four-cylinder diesel ticks all the boxes for new Ranger off-road flagship, says Ford
Ford has fired back at media and customer criticism over its decision to fit a smaller 2.0-litre diesel engine in its new off-road flagship, the Ford Ranger Raptor.
Priced at $74,990 plus ORCs, the first Ford Ranger Raptor is available to order now ahead of first delivers in October (2018).
At its heart is a new twin-turbo 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel engine dubbed Panther producing 156.7kW and 500Nm.
That’s just 10kW/30Nm more than the 3.2-litre Duratorq five-cylinder ‘Puma’ turbo-diesel that’s common to the rest of the Ranger range, and the same peak torque as Holden’s class-leading Colorado.

ford-ranger-raptor-stills_engine_web-tr4c.jpg

Newly released performance figures include a top speed of 170km/h and 0-100km/h acceleration in 10.5sec. This is about half a second quicker than the Ranger 3.2 but about a second slower than the Colorado and two seconds down on the Volkswagen Amarok V6.

Importantly, however, thanks in part to the Raptor’s 10-speed auto and auto stop start, fuel consumption has been reduced to 8.2L/100km.

Speaking to Australian and New Zealand journalists at the first wave of the regional launch of the Raptor in Darwin yesterday, Ford Asia Pacific’s vice-president of product development Trevor Worthington said no other engine was considered for the desert-ready Raptor 4x4 dual-cab.

ranger-raptor-job1-03.jpg

Read a review of the new Ford Ranger Raptor
“We looked for the best overall power pack that our global customers are going to want,” he said.

“If you look at Ranger, the vast majority of them sold around the world are sold with diesel engines. You look across the 200-plus markets the Ranger is sold in and 99.3 per cent of them are diesels.

“So this was the best diesel power pack that we could find, with the best combination of all the attributes it needs – including the 10-speed gearbox. We knew that this was the one we wanted,” Worthington stated.

According to the latest sales figures, up to 75 per cent of Rangers sold in Australia are powered by 3.2-litre engines and only 20 per cent of Volkswagen Amarok customers opt for that maker’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder diesel option.

In a prickly, well-rehearsed rebuttal to questions about potential resistance to the smaller engine from Australians (who traditionally opt for the largest engines available), Worthington was unequivocal in his defence of the Raptor’s more efficient Bi-Turbo engine.

Last edited:
of range.

The Bronco is coming back too, but I doubt as a two door.

I'm in for the El Camino EV.

of range.
FWIW, Musk did say 500 miles of range on a charge for the truck. Sure, timelines might not be Musk's forte, but specs generally hit the mark.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Probably 1% of their truck sales are the F450.
To play Devil's Advocate, as the roadster was the initial offering to gain interest that has now filtered down to the mid range model 3 at 46k and eventually to the 35K car. Why not start with a high price truck just to gauge interest? Then maybe filter down to lower priced variants/versions. Especially since GM just said they wouldn't make an electric truck for decades.

Reactions: SpaceCash