Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live near the 4th largest power plant in the country (2nd largest fossil fuel) and it burns 36,000 tons of coal per day. and people worry about the NOx from some cars? once all of the more mainstream EVs come to the mass market all they'll do is point at that power plant and say I'm part of the problem.

I meant more so from the factory. You can get 60+ gallon tanks for the pickups but problem is they take up literally every cc of space and working around them can get annoying. They also sit at or below the frame rail which doesn't stil well with some people.
Here they tend to be designed to make sure they don’t hang low. In the D4 they sit where the spare is, so that means you also need to put a rear wheel carrier on (or 2 if you are going into the desert). Make this an extremely expensive mod which I could never justify

I live near the 4th largest power plant in the country (2nd largest fossil fuel) and it burns 36,000 tons of coal per day. and people worry about the NOx from some cars? once all of the more mainstream EVs come to the mass market all they'll do is point at that power plant and say I'm part of the problem.
You can't find most these places on free public satellite maps any more, because they're being edited out (replaced with older images), probably for strategic reasons (either that, or some more odd situations, like they're being dismantled, they weren't there in the first place and were spoofed into place but corrected, or I misremebered, but I find those last three unlikely), but you can still see free satellite images of a few of the well known site public coordinates that are public forever. I copy a few here. Physically go to those areas, explore, and I'm sure you'll come up with at least a few additional ones not on satellite maps.
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 3.26.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 3.26.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-12 at 3.39.05 AM.png
If you install these or windmills in Texas and tear down and turn off your coal plant(s), you won't be using coal any more. Just be sure to charge when the sun is shining (which is during the day, duh). I have no idea why the push to install EV chargers is done more at home instead of at work; the sun shines during the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
More important than the aesthetics is the crash resilience. A cab forward truck wouldn't have the crush zone to reduced the deceleration rate in a head-on crash. Though I'm sure they could do better than this:
VWs always have and always will suck for a lot of measures, primary being safety. That's why the same country produces a vehicle that an owner can be much safer in, for those that care about their own lives.

You can't find most these places on free public satellite maps any more, because they're being edited out (replaced with older images), probably for strategic reasons (either that, or some more odd situations, like they're being dismantled, they weren't there in the first place and were spoofed into place but corrected, or I misremebered, but I find those last three unlikely), but you can still see free satellite images of a few of the well known site public coordinates that are public forever. I copy a few here. Physically go to those areas, explore, and I'm sure you'll come up with at least a few additional ones not on satellite maps.
View attachment 279856 View attachment 279857View attachment 279859
If you install these or windmills in Texas and tear down and turn off your coal plant(s), you won't be using coal any more. Just be sure to charge when the sun is shining (which is during the day, duh). I have no idea why the push to install EV chargers is done more at home instead of at work; the sun shines during the day.

What are you even talking about? Here's a list of the largest coal plants in the nation and their coordinates.

Robert W Scherer Power Plant Georgia (U.S. state) 33°03′08″N 83°48′25″W
Gibson Generating Station Indiana 38°22′19″N 87°46′02″W
Monroe Power Plant Michigan 41°53′21″N 83°20′44″W
Bowen Power Station Georgia (U.S. state) 34°07′23″N 84°55′13″W
John E. Amos Power Plant West Virginia 38°28′29″N 81°49′16″W
J. H. Miller Power Station Alabama 33°37′57″N 87°03′30″W
W. A. Parish Power Station Texas 29°28′38″N 95°38′03″W
Cumberland Fossil Plant Tennessee 36°23′29″N 87°39′17″W
Gavin Power Plant Ohio 38°56′09″N 82°07′00″W
Rockport Power Plant Indiana 37°55′32″N 87°02′02″W
Paradise Fossil Plant Kentucky 37°15′0″N 86°58′12″W
Roxboro Power Station North Carolina 36°29′06″N 79°04′19″W
Bruce Mansfield Power Plant Pennsylvania 40°38′06″N 80°24′55″W
W. H. Sammis Power Plant Ohio 40°31′48″N 80°37′50″W
J.M. Stuart Station Ohio 38°42′09″N 83°49′17″W
Navajo Generating Station Arizona 36°54′12″N 111°23′25″W
Sherburne County Generating Station Minnesota 45°22′43″N 93°53′48″W
Martin Lake Power Station Texas 32°15′36″N 94°34′08″W
Belews Creek Power Station North Carolina 36°16′53″N 80°03′37″W
Jeffrey Energy Center Kansas 39°17′10″N 96°07′01″W
E. C. Gaston Power Station Alabama 33°14′37″N 86°27′37″W
Homer City Generating Station Pennsylvania 40°30′39″N 79°11′37″W

Here's a list of the biggest solar farms in the US and their coordinates.

Solar Star (I and II) 34°49′50″N 118°23′53″W
Topaz Solar Farm 35°23′N 120°4′W
Copper Mountain Solar Facility 35°47′N 114°59′W
Desert Sunlight Solar Farm 33°49′33″N 115°24′08″W
Mesquite Solar project 33°20′N 112°55′W
Springbok Solar Farm 35.25°N 117.96°W
Stateline Solar 35.58°N 115.41°W
Agua Caliente Solar Project 32°57.2′N 113°29.4′W
Antelope Valley Solar Ranch 34°46′N 118°25′W
Mount Signal Solar 32°40′24″N 115°38′23″W
Silver State South Solar Project 35°38′N 115°21′W
California Valley Solar Ranch 35°20′N 119°55′W
Moapa Southern Paiute 36°31′N 114°45′W

Not sure how you think these are being hidden, you can look up all of them on satellite images. Just because images aren't updated daily doesn't mean people are trying to hide things.

And who is going to pay for the chargers to be installed at work places? The employee? you want them to pay for something they can only use at work, what happens when they leave that job? Is the employer supposed to pay for them? why would they?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.” Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/26/tesla-to-produce-pickup-after-model-y-rollout/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I'm sorry but if Tesla wants to make a big splash in the pickup truck market, it will have to look quite rugged. In other words, it will have to look like a truck rather than a car.

My F-150 4x4 is used to haul brush, gravel, dirt and maybe a piece of equipment. Rarely use four wheel drive and it is more of a farm use truck. I would love to have something similar looking that is all electric so it will be interesting to see what Tesla comes up with. Do not need complicated just a full size bed and all wheel drive would work.

The truck is gonna have to do everything that the F150/Chevy/Ram does now. Everyone's 'need' list is different. I hauled perhaps 30 yards of mulch and several
yards of dirt last year. Just yesterday I drove through a foot of snow and then 2ft of snow to get onto the road. Every time I think about going smaller I think about
days like yesterday and think I'd be a fool to give up that capability.

Just be sure to charge when the sun is shining (which is during the day, duh).
I have no idea why the push to install EV chargers is done more at home instead of at work;
the sun shines during the day.
Good point.

However, it is somehow difficult to control power plants, some most of them continue burning coal at night
even if there is not so much demand for electricity.

I'm hoping for something simple with the truck design. No need to compete with the F150 only to charge an additional $30K for it. No falcon wing doors or any other outlandish feature. What I would give for a bed that can extend/lower and retract for loading purposes.

I'm hoping for something simple with the truck design. No need to compete with the F150 only to charge an additional $30K for it. No falcon wing doors or any other outlandish feature. What I would give for a bed that can extend/lower and retract for loading purposes.
Simple as long as it has an 8 foot bed and can haul gravel, at least a 1/2 ton Model.

I'm hoping for something simple with the truck design.
No need to compete with the F150 only to charge an additional $30K for it.
No falcon wing doors or any other outlandish feature.
What I would give for a bed that can extend/lower and retract for loading purposes.
Simple as long as it has an 8 foot bed and can haul gravel, at least a 1/2 ton Model.
Tesla is a luxury car.

Can you imagine Porsche or BMW selling pickup truck?

My guess is the Tesla truck will compete with the Toyota Tacoma (albeit more expensive) and not a Ford F150 / F250

Mostly used as an around-the-town or commuter-construction truck - battery power simply cannot handle towing a boat at this point in time, as it will drain the battery too quickly. That 3 hour drive to the lake will turn into at least 2 charge stops, to which you'll have to unhook your trailer and charge for about 1 hour each time.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando