Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
People like myself who live in rural areas with winter need a vehicle that can make through miles of unplowed roads in winter. It's also the only decent type of vehicle to go get diesel for the tractor or gas for the chain saw (unless you pull a trailer).
-This-
I have a loooong sloped driveway through the woods that acts as a snow collector. My SO used to think the truck was unnecessary.
Until one time when I was out of town and the power went out for days, well below freezing outside, foot of snow. She drove through
it and got out. I think it's funny how Jeep gets terrible reviews, specially the Wrangler, yet they sell the sh-t out of them. Because they
can do ^this^.

People are tweeting Elon... i want retract steps! I want this, I want that.... no you want Capability, Durability, and a reasonable price.

I have been a devout Ford guy for 30 years and just had my Model X delivered last week... Will be trading my CMAX Energi for the Model 3 this summer when I receive my configuration invote. I think Elon will destroy the #1 best selling vehicle F-150 in less than 5 years. When can I reserve my Tesla truck? Sorry Ford.... at least I'm still buying American - a Tesla.

Tesla could possibly be even more American.

So basically you could buy a new truck today and drive the wheels off it before a Tesla is available.

Ford (and others) will be extremely concerned if this comes to fruition. Tesla M3 already is the best selling in its segment. Same could easily happen with the pickup. But if the other auto industry execs are as complacent as your comment, they are in a world of hurt in less than ten years.

it doesn't need to be over the top at all, he has tweeted about 500 mile range, 300,000lb towing (really?) air compressor etc...that's great, but it needs to be as capable in form and range of a F150-350 style... definitely needs to large battery for range... pulling a 5th wheel and stopping every 100 miles will not work period...

it doesn't need to be over the top at all, he has tweeted about 500 mile range, 300,000lb towing (really?) air compressor etc...that's great, but it needs to be as capable in form and range of a F150-350 style... definitely needs to large battery for range... pulling a 5th wheel and stopping every 100 miles will not work period...
Gimmicks like that are ridiculous. Unless you are a full time contractor, you don't need to haul around all that extra weight every day. The trucks arms race of the last
10 years has already crammed everything possible into them. I have massaging heated/cooled seats on mine... i rarely use the massage. There comes a point where
it is just more stuff than can break

Reactions: Sg911
I agree with the comments of others, take market share by making it simply "stupid" not to purchase the truck from Tesla. 300 mile range should be sufficient if towing 10K lbs. No need for 99% of typical pickup truck drivers to tow anywhere near 100K lbs.

I've said it before, but if this truck starts at anywhere near $80K, it's going to fail IMHO. Make it compete with the fully optioned F-150 at Tesla's base and they'll take a considerable amount of market share in the pickup truck segment.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
I get where you're coming from, but in rural America, the best way to get people out of their ICE pickup trucks is to show them how lame they are in comparison to a great EV truck. ...Make them look loud, clunky, slow and lame. Tesla needs to prove that pollution does not equal performance. In order for it to actually move the needle, it needs to look awesome, provide utility and be 'sexy' to this user group...

My friend, you have no idea what the mindset of a Texas truck driver is. They want bigger, higher, and most importantly louder engines. You will never convert the majority of the living Texas truck drivers just on the lack of engine noise alone.

My friend, you have no idea what the mindset of a Texas truck driver is. They want bigger, higher, and most importantly louder engines. You will never convert the majority of the living Texas truck drivers just on the lack of engine noise alone.
I think you've missed the context of my position. Too - living in very rural Idaho I have a solid idea what truck owners are into. Jacked up rigs, loud as possible and rolling coal is the thing. Rural Idaho and Texas aren't that dissimilar in that respect. And yeah, I get that it isn't Texas - I've been there too. You guys can have the crown. Hell, I have a jacked up E350 4x4 van. I can fit in with that crowd. Can't wait to replace it with a Tesla Truck.

The point is - in the future - when a Tesla Truck is shown dragging a diesel pickup backwards up a hill screaming and belching, it will start to take the coolness out of diesel trucks. Just like loud supercar engines are a joke now. The sound of desperation. Sure - there will still be idiots parading them around for a long time, but they won't be king of the hill. Pollution doesn't equal performance in the new world. If you want the biggest, baddest truck in the future, it will need to be electric.

Does anyone think that waiting to do the pickup until after the Model Y is the wrong priority? I feel that a crossover SUV isn't nearly as disruptive, in light of the existing S, X, and 3, as a pickup would be. I've never looked at any hard data on this, mind you, this is just a gut feel.
Yes, I wish the truck would be next. Although if the Y is a smaller and cheaper X then there will be lots of people that want that. For many the X is to big and expensive.

Does anyone think that waiting to do the pickup until after the Model Y is the wrong priority? I feel that a crossover SUV isn't nearly as disruptive, in light of the existing S, X, and 3, as a pickup would be. I've never looked at any hard data on this, mind you, this is just a gut feel.

I think a pickup is more challenging to get right, and requires lower battery costs so you can have a large battery pack that is cost effective. Model Y is a natural progression from Model 3, and then Tesla will be in a better position to tackle the pickup. Having the Semi on the market when they start selling the pickup should also help with street-cred for the pickup.

The point is - in the future - when a Tesla Truck is shown dragging a diesel pickup backwards up a hill screaming and belching, it will start to take the coolness out of diesel trucks. Just like loud supercar engines are a joke now. The sound of desperation. Sure - there will still be idiots parading them around for a long time, but they won't be king of the hill. Pollution doesn't equal performance in the new world. If you want the biggest, baddest truck in the future, it will need to be electric.

Pollution equals performance in the aspect of having unlimited range. Appearance will be a factor. Model S is a cool car, Model 3 is ok, Model X is godawful pontiac Aztec thing, Truck has to be a truck. Half the F150 Raptors I see are mall crawlers, but damn they look mean!

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I want it to be Tonka Truck Tough too like the Raptor. The X was s design abortion. My wife and I both gagged when we saw it in person. She wanted one until we saw it on the road. Was hoping more for an SUV like the GL or Range Rover an less of a aero’ed out Ford Winstar Minivan. We stuck with the S instead.

Reactions: Don TLR
I want it to be Tonka Truck Tough too like the Raptor. The X was s design abortion. My wife and I both gagged when we saw it in person. She wanted one until we saw it on the road. Was hoping more for an SUV like the GL or Range Rover an less of a aero’ed out Ford Winstar Minivan. We stuck with the S instead.
Cars always look better in photos. I remember back in the day when the PT cruiser was coming out. Photos looked cool. Finally a retro design instead of the same old ugly 80's 90's era cars! Then I saw one in person, probably at the car show and wondered: where's the full size version? What a piece of carp! The drivers seat is smaller than an airline seat.

I think you've missed the context of my position. Too - living in very rural Idaho I have a solid idea what truck owners are into. Jacked up rigs, loud as possible and rolling coal is the thing. Rural Idaho and Texas aren't that dissimilar in that respect. And yeah, I get that it isn't Texas - I've been there too. You guys can have the crown. Hell, I have a jacked up E350 4x4 van. I can fit in with that crowd. Can't wait to replace it with a Tesla Truck.

With a huge Tesla coil mounted in the bed! Imagine the volt roll you could do on unsuspecting monster trucks. Totally agree, truck should be next. “Built Elon tough!”

• Funny
Reactions: Lasairfion