Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Raise FSD Price by $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chief Executive Elon Musk says consumers need to pay up for the “full self-driving” option on their cars, saying it could have a value of $100,000.

Tesla will increase the price of the option by $1,000 starting July 1, Musk tweeted Monday. FSD launched as a $5,000 add-on until the automaker raised to the current price of $7,000.

“The FSD price will continue to rise as the software gets closer to full self-driving capability with regulatory approval,” Musk said tweeted. “[At] that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.”

While consumers can buy the feature now, “full self-driving” is not fully baked. The car still needs some driver assistance. But, Tesla continues to promise the full experience soon.

Musk believes as the cars continually gain autonomous capability, their value will rise. Tesla plans to use the autonomous features to launch a robo-taxi network in the future, which Musk says will turn the cars into money-makers for owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I can understand raising the price on new cars. But I don't see why Tesla thinks it makes sense to raise the price of FSD on older cars.

If someone didn't think it was worth $6,000 when they bought the car, and didn't think it was worth $7,000 last year. Why do they think that that person going to be tempted this year for $8,000?

Everyday that goes by the utility goes down because the car is closer to the grave and there are fewer days left to use it. And at the same time Tesla is raising the price?

It feels like they are actively trying to discourage people from adding it to older vehicles.

Even if ELON says "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - FSD complete", how many of you are planning to be the test lemming for Tesla?

TESLA TAKE THE WHEEL!

Deaths will be classified as a bug? "While we had some unfortunately minor errors in the software, those have now been fixed and corrected. It is tragic that FSD did not catch the 5 year old girl crossing the street, but it is a great learning experience for Tesla on how to handle this. The owner was sentenced to 25 years in jail, but we will be lobbying with the state to reduce their sentence if possible as they were not in control of their cars."

No. But I think we can assume that Tesla is expecting to release another significant "FSD" feature around July 1. A few guesses of what the feature could be that could justify the price increase:
- "no confirmation" traffic light response.
- Making turns at intersections
- Enabling NOA on some non-highway roads
- Speed limit recognition
- Reverse Summon

I hope we get that much that would be great. In your opinion what is still remaining to be finished beyond those improvements and associated bug fix updates? Before Elon will say "Feature Complete"?

We can return it right? I am thinking about buying it just to test for a day or two.

If they thought people would find it to be worth $7000, they would have sold the cars with it active for 30-90 days then turn it off. This is the model most digital upgrades sold by. They are convinced once you experience the enhanced functionality, you won't want to be without it.

Apparently Tesla is very worried that people won't believe FSD is worth $7000. When a salesman demo'd it to me (he would not let me drive), it missed the offramp in 'drive by navigation' mode. And there was only one offramp, and it was right near their shop.

If they thought people would find it to be worth $7000, they would have sold the cars with it active for 30-90 days then turn it off. This is the model most digital upgrades sold by. They are convinced once you experience the enhanced functionality, you won't want to be without it.

Apparently Tesla is very worried that people won't believe FSD is worth $7000. When a salesman demo'd it to me (he would not let me drive), it missed the offramp in 'drive by navigation' mode. And there was only one offramp, and it was right near their shop.
This will be very interesting indeed. I think $8K is steep even if it gets a lot better... Does this mean that a 2019 FSD model that paid $5k will noticeably appreciate if sales continue at $8K?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I keep trying NOA on my 5 month old Model X. What a total disappointment. Phantom braking on the freeway, reluctance to change lanes when it is clear for 1/4 mile behind me, freaking out when the sun is flickering through trees in the afternoon, swerving to the right whenever the white line disappears on the right, totally missing routed exits from the highway. I mean, c'mon. I wouldn't even count this as Alpha code.

i have heard that the Tesla network integrates hive learning but I sincerely doubt it. It acts like each drive is its first down any particular highway.

And can someone tell me why a Tesla cannot pull into a SuperCharger parking lot and back into a spot? If all things it should do autonomously. Sheesh.

Also, voice command is totally broken. All it will do is try to find a destination for me. Yesterday, my wife told me it was because the car was mad at me for being mean to it, so I yelled at it "You piece of $#!%" and it spelled out UPS before it actually showed what I had said. Fortunately, there was no destination called You piece of $#!%, so we remained heading for our original destination.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car and I am glad I got it, but I find the FSD function worth about $0 right about now.

Elon's is a specious argument. Viewing cars in a purely economic sense ignores the deeper relationship that 95% of car owners have with their rides. The type of car we choose to own reflects on our own personality, and through familiarity gained by years of ownership of one car we know its strong points, weak points, and areas that need attention. We take care of our cars, and in return they take care of us.

I cannot imagine that anyone who views cars this way would allow their car to be used by any random Tom, Dick, or Harry regardless of how much income it can generate.

Maybe the $100K number makes economic sense for a robotaxi, but then charge that to people who buy their car for solely commercial use. As an individual owning a car for my own use, I can only consider the amount of enjoyment I get from having the feature and it would be less than 1/10 that number.

Getting to where Elon's head is at right now will require multiple generations of car owners along with a gradual transition to shared vehicles. He's definitely ahead of the times on this one, and I don't believe he will succeed in changing people's attitudes as quickly as he (and some of his fans) thinks.

Reactions: Magellan55
I hope we get that much that would be great. In your opinion what is still remaining to be finished beyond those improvements and associated bug fix updates? Before Elon will say "Feature Complete"?

I am not saying we will get all those features by July 1. It was a list of possible features (pick one) for July 1. Although I do think Tesla is trying to release as many of those features by end of the year as possible.

Elon described "feature complete" as being able to drive a common commute (home to work) with mostly no disengagements. So interpret that however you want. Once Tesla releases "autosteer on city streets" which is the last remaining FSD feature on the website, they could probably declare "feature complete". They can say that they released all the promised FSD features listed on the website. Plus, with "autosteer on city streets", the car will be able to turn at intersections so in theory, it could complete a basic commute from home to work with mostly no disengagements, as Elon described. So it is entirely possible that Elon will declare "feature complete" when this bare minimum is done.

But to answer your question, basic "feature complete" is one thing, actual driverless robotaxis are quite another. I think Tesla still has a lot of FSD left to do. Here are just a few examples of cases that the NHTSA and Waymo recommend FSD be able to do. I think Tesla needs to do everything on this list. You can see which ones Tesla has already done and which features they still need to do:

Recommended by NHTSA
1. Detect and Respond to Speed Limit Changes and Speed Advisories
2 Perform High-Speed Merge (e.g., Freeway)
3 Perform Low-Speed Merge
4 Move Out of the Travel Lane and Park (e.g., to the Shoulder for Minimal Risk)
5 Detect and Respond to Encroaching Oncoming Vehicles
6 Detect Passing and No Passing Zones and Perform Passing Maneuvers
7 Perform Car Following (Including Stop and Go)
8 Detect and Respond to Stopped Vehicles
9 Detect and Respond to Lane Changes
10 Detect and Respond to Static Obstacles in the Path of the Vehicle
11 Detect Traffic Signals and Stop/Yield Signs
12 Respond to Traffic Signals and Stop/Yield Signs
13 Navigate Intersections and Perform Turns
14 Navigate Roundabouts
15 Navigate a Parking Lot and Locate Spaces
16 Detect and Respond to Access Restrictions (One-Way, No Turn, Ramps, etc.)
17 Detect and Respond to Work Zones and People Directing Traffic in Unplanned or Planned Events
18 Make Appropriate Right-of-Way Decisions
19 Follow Local and State Driving Laws
20 Follow Police/First Responder Controlling Traffic (Overriding or Acting as Traffic Control Device)
21 Follow Construction Zone Workers Controlling Traffic Patterns (Slow/Stop Sign Holders)
22 Respond to Citizens Directing Traffic After a Crash
23 Detect and Respond to Temporary Traffic Control Devices
24 Detect and Respond to Emergency Vehicles
25 Yield for Law Enforcement, EMT, Fire, and Other Emergency Vehicles at Intersections, Junctions, and Other Traffic Controlled Situations
26 Yield to Pedestrians and Bicyclists at Intersections and Crosswalks
27 Provide Safe Distance From Vehicles, Pedestrians, Bicyclists on Side of the Road
28 Detect/Respond to Detours and/or Other Temporary Changes in Traffic Patterns

Examples of Additional Behavioral Competencies Tested by Waymo
29 Moving to a Minimum Risk Condition When Exiting the Travel Lane is Not Possible
30 Perform Lane Changes
31 Detect and Respond to Lead Vehicle
32 Detect and Respond to a Merging Vehicle
33 Detect and Respond to Pedestrians in Road (Not Walking Through Intersection or Crosswalk)
34 Provide Safe Distance from Bicyclists Traveling on Road (With or Without Bike Lane)
35 Detect and Respond to Animals
36 Detect and Respond to Motorcyclists
37 Detect and Respond to School Buses 38 Navigate Around Unexpected Road Closures (e.g. Lane, Intersection, etc.)
39 Navigate Railroad Crossings
40 Make Appropriate Reversing Maneuvers
41 Detect and Respond to Vehicle Control Loss (e.g. reduced road friction)
42 Detect and Respond to Conditions Involving Vehicle, System, or Component-Level Failures or Faults (e.g. power failure, sensing failure, sensing obstruction, computing failure, fault handling or response)
43 Detect and Respond to Unanticipated Weather or Lighting Conditions Outside of Vehicle’s Capability (e.g. rainstorm)
44 Detect and Respond to Unanticipated Lighting Conditions (e.g. power outages)
45 Detect and Respond to Non-Collision Safety Situations (e.g. vehicle doors ajar)
46 Detect and Respond to Faded or Missing Roadway Markings or Signage
47 Detect and Respond to Vehicles Parking in the Roadway

Source: Safety Report – Waymo

I left out my biggest beef. Having to touch the wheel every 25 seconds.

I like the idea of FSD for routine and boring trips. "Driving" is not something you do on the freeway unless you want to make new friends at the county courthouse. I don't want to sleep at the wheel, but I would like to know that the car has my back.

My car (2017 that I bought Dec 2019) came with EAP. Right now upgrade to FSD is $4k. $5k July 1.
Im not paying $5k (nor $4k) for promises and half functional improvements. Not worth the spend. For those of us with EAP (and all that it currently offers) It literally would be a better spend to put $5k towards TSLA stock
Same situation here. I have NOA, auto lane change, autopark, smart summon w/o FSD. Making $ on the stock since effective $173/share.

I was sold with HW2 when the Scammer said the car will go from point A to point B by itself. Could even pick you up from anywhere.

This version of FSD is not even close to that scammer's promise. I'll wait for HW5 and FCS software release. This will mean a new car in 10 year? Maybe?

Reactions: InternetDude
While the value of FSD might indeed be $100,000 for commercial applications, it will never reach that value for personal private transportation.

Perhaps Elon could offer something like Taxi Medallion fees for those using their cars as revenue generators and also offer a far less expensive ($4,000) version for those using their cars for only personal use.

Many owners would like the convenience of FSD for taking their families on trips, commuting to work, or simply taking some of the druggery off their longer drives. These rapid increases in FSD prices is beginning to really upset those who bought into the technology from Tesla to make their daily lives more pleasurable.

We know that when we sell our cars that Tesla will wish to turn off any FSD we have purchased, so this becomes a sunk cost for current owners.

Wait until our Astronauts learn that Elon may turn off their FSD navigation systems 1/2 way up to the International Space Station, because it's value becomes greater as they approach their docking maneuvers :{

To para-phrase a warning that irritated Elon directed to the State of California...Future purchases of Tesla Vehicles will depend on how existing customers are treated.

Last edited:
Reactions: OPRCE
I will keep my 8 grand and drive the car myself.
In the future self driving will get to cost less, not more.
Look at seat belts and airbags. Air bags cost up to a grand when first out. And that was a grand when it was worth 3 times what it is now. And it was one frontal bag. Seat belts were less but an option.
Call me when it's 99.9999% safe.

Other companies will come out with their own versions of FSD (perhaps not as good as Tesla..but good enough for many).

They will sell their offerings and their pricing of FSD will give them a competitive advantage to gain market share.

Hard to put into words how upsetting it is to me to see Elon constantly cranking up their prices on FSD. It is a spectacular system the can save many lives, but charging $100,000 for it will make it available for only the very wealthy.

Tesla routinely posts how much safer that driving on Autopilot is than without.

Typical American families will be priced out of the safety it can provide.

Perhaps the standard Autopilot can be enhanced to provide some, but not all the automatous driving, at affordable pricing.

Reactions: InternetDude