Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Raise FSD Price by $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chief Executive Elon Musk says consumers need to pay up for the “full self-driving” option on their cars, saying it could have a value of $100,000.

Tesla will increase the price of the option by $1,000 starting July 1, Musk tweeted Monday. FSD launched as a $5,000 add-on until the automaker raised to the current price of $7,000.

“The FSD price will continue to rise as the software gets closer to full self-driving capability with regulatory approval,” Musk said tweeted. “[At] that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.”

While consumers can buy the feature now, “full self-driving” is not fully baked. The car still needs some driver assistance. But, Tesla continues to promise the full experience soon.

Musk believes as the cars continually gain autonomous capability, their value will rise. Tesla plans to use the autonomous features to launch a robo-taxi network in the future, which Musk says will turn the cars into money-makers for owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
What makes you think $7K or $8K is full price for FSD? Musk just said it's worth $100K. Yeah that's loony but he's made the statement several times now that the current pricing is discounted since you a pre-paying. We really don't know what full price will be for FSD from Tesla or anyone else, since it's not here yet. But it's not hard to imagine a fully autonomous option being $20k. It turns your car into something completely different. Look at the performance package - people are paying $20K for that, and all it does is make the car accelerate faster in a straight line.

He can say what he thinks it's worth but the market will decide. I can tell you that if it was worth $100K today then he would charge that, If it worked flawlessly in every way today would it generate you and every owner enough money to cover that many times over? It would have to to be worth that and in relation to all the other owners that also ave access. Musk is an engineer and not the best sales or marketing person.

Yea price might go down eventually with more competition. GM is supposed to be coming out with an updated supercruise to compete with autopilot and theirs is actually hands free. Also a number of electric vehicles. We should see the electric Hummer soon. Hopefully they show some tech that's on par. The removable roof they just showed is pretty cool at least

I was on the fence forever if I was going to get it or not. I’m so glad my wife talked me into it. I’m buying technology as much as I’m buying a car. The money is spent and now I enjoy knowing I’m getting all the software updates. I’m not expecting the car to go pickup the kids at school anytime soon but I love being along on this ride.
Good evening. We just purchased a Model 3 without the option. Have you used any existing features? What do you like about it? Hate about it? Thank you.

What makes you think $7K or $8K is full price for FSD? Musk just said it's worth $100K. Yeah that's loony but he's made the statement several times now that the current pricing is discounted since you a pre-paying. We really don't know what full price will be for FSD from Tesla or anyone else, since it's not here yet. But it's not hard to imagine a fully autonomous option being $20k. It turns your car into something completely different. Look at the performance package - people are paying $20K for that, and all it does is make the car accelerate faster in a straight line.
Say what? For one, Performance package is $8,000 on a 3/Y.

Because groupthink and Musk as the superhero plus people not grounded in reality equals sheep running off the cliff. Consider of all the people here that ran to buy the FSD upgrade last time as it "was going to go up" then it went down, then up and now up again, all while it has been "feature complete". People will justify spending money on mostly useless upgrades and Musk will keep announcing a new hardware version. In the meantime count the disagrees for those that ran their CC to pay for small incremental buggy upgrades. I wonder when people are going to wake up to the reality of the Tesla "Spin the revenue wheel game". AP should cost less in Beta not more. When there are substantial upgrades then it may make sense to buy. In the meantime if no one fell for this the price would be DROPPING. Just like white paint that was "more costly" but now is standard. LOL. Once you paint your garage to look like a Tesla store you will beleive anything:)

And I see we have our first buyer..
Musk needs the help of a psychiatrist and Tesla's board needs to either fire him or stage a much needed intervention. After owning Model S for 7 years—witnessing first hand how badly Tesla has fallen in terms of sales & service and how poor their build quality is even today—I buy the stock over the car. Since buying my P85, supercharging rate has been reduced by at least 50% making roadtrips impossible. My acceleration has also been reduced. All intentionally through software updates. Tesla's response: Sue us. We 85 kWh owners are doing exactly that. My next EV will not be a Tesla.

Tesla/Musk promise a lot, but they also deliver a lot.
You mean like when Musk announced Autopilot, started taking peoples' money, but didn't deliver anything for over 12 months prompting complaints to multiple attorneys general across the country and threats of lawsuits?

Yes FSD is not here yet.
Then why charge anything for it? Tesla uses your driving data to complete its development of FSD, yet you pay them? This makes no sense.

But, for someone who started on AP1 and gone through the roller-coaster of AP2, ups and downs, parity with AP1 then NoA, and now city driving...
Only because you bought into Musk's scam. He's playing a confidence (con) came with the public.

Tesla is the only one providing to the general public a tangible product with a defined vision.
No they aren't. First, it is not a "tangible" product when it is beta-ware riddled with bugs that has already killed several people. GM offers a solid AP-type product. Audi offers it. Mercedes offers it. Every manufacturer offers it. I don't remember anyone dying because of their products, only Tesla's. Because Tesla's implementation is sloppy and borderline criminally negligent.

Why is a "defined vision" important in any sense? You won't be able to participate in that vision two years from now because Tesla will change the game on you in terms of hardware/software. They will leave you out in the cold like they do everyone, eventually.

Something that anyone that "bought into it" can tag along and experience for themselves on a daily basis.
Not the vision, just the crapware. The vision won't be realized for many years. Until then, are you going to keep giving Tesla free money? Sounds insane to me.

That is not something you can do with any other company working on Autonomous Cars today.
Do you need autonomy? Probably not. The vast majority don't need it or want it. I certainly don't. I have no interest in trusting a machine to steer and drive for me. If I wanted to put my life in a child's hands, there are many other ways of doing it that won't result in a collision at 80 MPH.

To be clear, I don't give a crap about autonomy. I don't need or want to be a passenger behind the wheel. And if I ever do, I want a feature that has been safety tested and that has proper controls for driver attention. Tesla's implementation fails on all fronts.

Even when buying my first Tesla with AP1, the order page said Autopilot will improve with over-the-air updates. And sure enough, it did improve with over-the-air updates.
When a company release software that doesn't work, one can only go up from there. Other manufacturers don't release half-baked products. They release products that are feature complete, that have undergone a much more rigorous testing regime than Tesla would ever be capable of creating.

Eventually, even ardent Tesla worshippers will come to the conclusion that Musk cannot be trusted and that he doesn't have his customers best interests at heart.

Before the end of summer the FSD package will be changed into something else, maybe included in the price on the long range, and half price for the standard range. Just speculating. But Tesla can not charge 8 000 euros for FSD in Europe with the competition they already got, and that will even get tougher in Q3,Q¤ and next year.
Sales in Norway is already slow, low demand.
I am willing to bet they have changed that package before end of august. Could be a campaign; all new LR cars with FSD included.

Looking forward to seeing more of these competitive BEVs on offer. I was underwhelmed with the Jaguar IPace. The Kia Kona was OK but unavailable. The Leaf was nice but overpriced. Unsure what other ones are out there.

Looking forward to seeing more of these competitive BEVs on offer. I was underwhelmed with the Jaguar IPace. The Kia Kona was OK but unavailable. The Leaf was nice but overpriced. Unsure what other ones are out there.
Lol at Nice and Nissan products in the same sentence.
As we say in the business nowadays: One does not pick a Nissan. Nissan picks them.

Lol at Nice and Nissan products in the same sentence.
As we say in the business nowadays: One does not pick a Nissan. Nissan picks them.
It wasn't always that way. At one point Nissan was the sporty fun to drive Japanese brand that had good reliability. The first affordable ev for the masses. How so much has changed in 15 years. It's sad really. Nissan's Pro pilot is a fairly advance system. I'd rank it at 1) Tesla 2) Cadillac 3) Nissan.

As far as other systems, Cadillac highway system is very advanced hands off system, but it requires that a more advanced car has mapped that highway recently. I applaud Cadillac on their system. I don't see why Tesla can't do the same. All of these Teslas are driving and effectively mapping the highways as they go. Why can't that be shared to Tesla's the neural net enabling hands free highway driving? It can even be more stringent than Cadillac "must be mapped once every 30 days".

Reactions: ElectricIAC

I wish the $90k Model X would have the safety features present in the I-Pace, Kona, Niro, eTron, or Leaf.

The lack of cross traffic alerts is baffling. And the blind spot tech is in fact blind.

You should have tried the Steering Assistant on the I-Pace for freeway use. It's actually better than AutoPilot in some ways, but worse in others. It is certainly a comparable product. And it has an Alert Driver feature like other non-Teslas.

Why can't that be shared to Tesla's the neural net enabling hands free highway driving?

While pre-mapping would certainly help to make AP more reliable and accurate, it would not enable hands-free driving by itself. The reason Supercruise is hands-free is because it has a camera facing the driver to make the sure the driver is paying attention. Since the system knows when the driver is paying attention, it is able to allow the driver to take their hands off the steering wheel. Tesla would need a driver monitoring camera in order to do hands-free driving because the torque system by definition only works when the driver is holding the wheel so it cannot enable hands-free driving.

While pre-mapping would certainly help to make AP more reliable and accurate, it would not enable hands-free driving by itself. The reason Supercruise is hands-free is because it has a camera facing the driver to make the sure the driver is paying attention. Since the system knows when the driver is paying attention, it is able to allow the driver to take their hands off the steering wheel. Tesla would need a driver monitoring camera in order to do hands-free driving because the torque system by definition only works when the driver is holding the wheel so it cannot enable hands-free driving.

The model 3's and Y's do have inward facing camera that could be used to see if you head is facing the correct direction and eyes are open. Tesla had intended it to be used for monitoring for robotaxi in the future, but the former use case is not technically impossible with the inward facing camera.

The model 3's and Y's do have inward facing camera that could be used to see if you head is facing the correct direction and eyes are open. Tesla had intended it to be used for monitoring for robotaxi in the future, but the former use case is not technically impossible with the inward facing camera.

Yes, I believe the Model 3/Y internal camera could be used to enable hands-free driving but sadly so far, Elon has said "no" to that.

I was on the fence forever if I was going to get it or not. I’m so glad my wife talked me into it. I’m buying technology as much as I’m buying a car. The money is spent and now I enjoy knowing I’m getting all the software updates. I’m not expecting the car to go pickup the kids at school anytime soon but I love being along on this ride.

I think this is is the best reason to buy it, as long as youre patient and have appropriate expectations. If you are A utilitarian, I think the price increases are a smoke screen .... wait until the features are worth their price to you. Just because you have hope about future features doesn’t mean they are worth the current price, and by the time you see value, there may be a better deal available elsewhere. Paying $7,000 for features that aren’t worth it to you because you are worried about paying $8,000, or more later, is you falling for the trick. There will be resistance to future price increases and there will be plenty of time to decide. But the risk the value of the features never actually reach their price is high enough for some people that jumping in now is riskier than $1,000.

While if you are a car tech junkie or a tech junkie in general I see the value, right now, the only thing really useful is automatic lane change.

I'm not upset and Tesla can charge what they want and you can pay what you like, I'm not sure why I would be upset about how you spend your money. Please spend all you can on these upgrades it helps my share price. I never made fun of you I'm making fun of the ridiculousness of Teslas vague promises, pricing dart board, and the fact that they charge full price for beta features. Tesla owners do tend to over justify and defend the pricing of Tesla options. I'm on my 3rd Tesla and stopped buying into the nonsense a long time ago.

If I didn’t love the car so much not sure why I’d be here. After all, I just sacrificed $20k of additional depreciation In 3 years as tesla dropped the price of my vehicle by $20k and added $10k worth of features I didn’t have as standard.

So I had to trade up! But no options, white black Interior, base wheels, no fsd. Love it

Last edited: