Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Raise FSD Price by $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chief Executive Elon Musk says consumers need to pay up for the “full self-driving” option on their cars, saying it could have a value of $100,000.

Tesla will increase the price of the option by $1,000 starting July 1, Musk tweeted Monday. FSD launched as a $5,000 add-on until the automaker raised to the current price of $7,000.

“The FSD price will continue to rise as the software gets closer to full self-driving capability with regulatory approval,” Musk said tweeted. “[At] that point, the value of FSD is probably somewhere in excess of $100,000.”

While consumers can buy the feature now, “full self-driving” is not fully baked. The car still needs some driver assistance. But, Tesla continues to promise the full experience soon.

Musk believes as the cars continually gain autonomous capability, their value will rise. Tesla plans to use the autonomous features to launch a robo-taxi network in the future, which Musk says will turn the cars into money-makers for owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna

No. But I think we can assume that Tesla is expecting to release another significant "FSD" feature around July 1. A few guesses of what the feature could be that could justify the price increase:
- "no confirmation" traffic light response.
- Making turns at intersections
- Enabling NOA on some non-highway roads
- Speed limit recognition
- Reverse Summon

No. But I think we can assume that Tesla is expecting to release another significant "FSD" feature around July 1. A few guesses of what the feature could be that could justify the price increase:
- Reverse Summon

Sadly....it still wouldn’t be useable 95% of the time without at least the +5mph speed setting. I used it for about 1/2 a day and promptly turned it off.

Sadly....it still wouldn’t be useable 95% of the time without at least the +5mph speed setting. I used it for about 1/2 a day and promptly turned it off.

Yeah, hopefully the speed limit will get bumped up when Tesla is confident traffic light response is more reliable. I've actually disengaged AP on city streets because it was just too slow. I can only imagine what people in cars behind me must be thinking:

Kid: Look dad, that's a Tesla in front of us! I've heard they are really fast!
Dad: Cool! But why is it driving so slow then?

- Reverse Summon

If I had to pick one, Reverse summon would be my bet. The car can see lines and pavement arrows(hardware 3.0) that should make parking in a parking lot fairly easy. Or the car will pick a spot between 2 cars like autopark does. Traffic light response still has a way to go, my car picks up stop signs for streets intersecting at an angle and slams on the brakes then figures that stop sign wasn't for us, and speeds back up.

Reactions: diplomat33
If I had to pick one, Reverse summon would be my bet. The car can see lines and pavement arrows(hardware 3.0) that should make parking in a parking lot fairly easy. Or the car will pick a spot between 2 cars like autopark does. Traffic light response still has a way to go, my car picks up stop signs for streets intersecting at an angle and slams on the brakes then figures that stop sign wasn't for us, and speeds back up.

Elon did mention in April that Reverse Summon would come later this year so Reverse Summon is definitely a possibility, especially when Tesla finishes the rewrite that should make seeing curbs easier across multiple cameras. Of course, I expect the first version of Reverse Summon will be "beta". That is how Tesla rolls out new features.

I really don't get the expectation that owners will just let strangers ride unsupervised in their premium vehicles. Maybe the base model 3. But those with S/X that cost six figures? And then spent more $$ to get it wrapped? Really doubt it. Tesla owners love their cars too much to see it as some kind of money making endeavor, other than those that bought one specifically for that purpose. A quick way to estimate this is how many Tesla's are listed on Turo. I live near a Tesla sales office, and there are plenty on the streets here. But only 12 listed on Turo (10 3's, 1 X, 1S). There are more Tesla's than that in the parking lot where I work.

Reactions: Bry2001
In my opinion this has nothing to do with more features coming soon. It has to do with sales right now while they are hurting $$ bad. Tell people the price is going up so they buy now while Tesla needs cash.

FSD is overpriced IMHO for what it is, certainly right now. Watch them "increase" the price by $1,000 but when FSD is actually ready (if ever), they will switch it to a subscription model anyway for new cars... Recurring revenue is all the rage these days.

It's a win-win for Tesla. They grab $7,000-8,000 now from "early adopters" but then when FSD is out and mainstream it's just $89/month or whatever. Easier to swallow.

Remember, Tesla's top priority is immediate / short term sales numbers. Always has been, always will be.

In my humble opinion FSD is not not over priced. Full Self Driving and Battery Technology is what really drives both Tesla's stock value and sales volume. If someone never wants FSD or the Range and Battery longevity then they can by a Chevy Bolt.

If someone wants a Fleet of Self-Driving vehicles in the near future then they will pretty much need to go to Tesla. That will put Elon in the drivers seat in regards to pricing.

A Free-Market economy is driven by Price and Demand. If someone does not want to buy a Tesla, then let them build their own electric car, nothing is stopping them. Dyson tried and spent $500 million dollars before realizing that they made a mistake.

My car (2017 that I bought Dec 2019) came with EAP. Right now upgrade to FSD is $4k. $5k July 1.
Im not paying $5k (nor $4k) for promises and half functional improvements. Not worth the spend. For those of us with EAP (and all that it currently offers) It literally would be a better spend to put $5k towards TSLA stock

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleCreepy