Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to recall almost all MS and MX sold in China over suspension issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
Tesla is recalling almost all Model S/Model X sent to China over suspension issue - Electrek

"Part of the imported Model S and Model X vehicles with a production date between September 17, 2013 and August 16, 2017 will be recalled, a total of 29,193 vehicles.

The problem is being described as a weakness in the Model S and Model X suspension that can lead to a cracked linkage after an impact."

Service centres might be getting busy if this spreads to US/UK

...Service centres might be getting busy if this spreads to US/UK

Chinese customers have been getting first class treatment.

Previously, those in China who did not buy FSD and received HW2.5 was complaining and Tesla has quickly accommodating them with the promise of HW3.0. That does not happen outside of China (you have to pay FSD outside of China in order to get HW3.0).

Suspension problem have been complained outside of China into deaf ears but Tesla has proactively accommodating Chinese customers.

I doubt that Tesla will treat those outside of China with the same first class treatment.

The number is increased:

Tesla recalls nearly 50,000 Model S and X cars in China over faulty suspension

It's hard to know how many S and X were sold after 10/15/2018.

Is it really? They state no facts/information to support their number. It looks just like more horrible reporting:

Tesla Motors (Beijing) Co.,Ltd. plans to recall a total of 29,193 imported Model Ss and Model Xs produced between Sept. 17, 2013 and Aug. 16, 2017 due to technical issues that impose safety risks, according to China's State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR).
The SAMR also said 19,249 imported Model Ss produced during the period starting Sept. 17, 2013 and ending October 15, 2018 will be recalled this time.

So it seems like their source reported a combined S&X number, and then reported the number for just the S. And CNBC combined those numbers to come up with a number that isn't accurate. (Since they cover the same Ss twice.)

Tesla spells it out very clearly in their letter to NHTSA:

Front Suspension Aft Link:
Make / Model: Tesla Model S
Production Dates: 9/17/2013 through 5/16/2017
Total Number of Affected Vehicles: 3,335

Make / Model: Tesla Model X
Production Dates: 2/12/2016 through 5/22/2017
Total Number of Affected Vehicles: 9,436

Rear Suspension Upper Link:
Make / Model: Tesla Model S
Production Dates: 9/17/2013 through 3/31/2016
Total Number of Affected Vehicles: 5,411

18,182 vehicles recalled. (And even that is inflating numbers since some vehicles are subject to both the front and rear link recalls..)

It is almost like SAMR calculated their numbers based on a starting and ending VIN, rather than the number actually imported into CHINA and subject to the recall. (As well as double counting some vehicles.)

...no facts/information...

The range of coverage reported to NHTSA is from 9/17/2013 to 5/22/2017.

However, the range of coverage from SAMR is longer from 9/17/2013 to 10/15/2018.

Longer dates of coverage mean more cars.

NHTSA is the US agency but Tesla is recalling not because of NHTSA but because of Chinese SAMR.

As far as China concerns, as long as Tesla does what SAMR says with the demanded range of dates and number of cars, it doesn't care what is reported to NHTSA even if the dates and numbers are mismatched.

My disagree is because of your thread title that isn't accurate. As I don't think it is "almost all" since it doesn't include the last 3+ years of deliveries to China.

The thread title is simply a direct quote of the heading on the Electrek article. Maybe I should have put that in quotes too.

I think the bigger issue is not so much the quality of the reporting but rather what is being reported. That Tesla sees fit to acknowledge and rectify a defect in one territory but not the rest.

Clearly my concerns are magnified as a 2015 MS owner and having read a lot of threads about suspension link failures. Something else for me to watch out for...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
My disagree is because of your thread title that isn't accurate. As I don't think it is "almost all" since it doesn't include the last 3+ years of deliveries to China.

UK & Ireland Moderator comment
Thankyou for explaining your disagree but can we please keep disagrees to a minimum on this sub forum. This is a UK and Ireland sub forum which I think most people think is quite a friendly place to post freely without reprisal. Unnecessary pedantic disagrees are unwarranted and taint the friendly nature of this sub forum.

-Ian

Apparently the poor road conditions in China are a contributing factor to the problem with the front suspension.
Thank goodness we have excellent pothole-free roads.....

I assume you're either kidding or don't live in Los Angeles. Our roads make the most luxurious auto feel like a dump truck. My only question, which I don't see answered here, is: I have a 2016 Model S, made and purchased in the US. Do I need to be worried about a front suspension collapse without warning?

I assume you're either kidding or don't live in Los Angeles. Our roads make the most luxurious auto feel like a dump truck. My only question, which I don't see answered here, is: I have a 2016 Model S, made and purchased in the US. Do I need to be worried about a front suspension collapse without warning?

Pretty obvious that someone on a UK forum most probably doesn't live in Los Angeles.

Having said that, I'm certain the comment was irony. Roads in the UK can be pretty rough, although in my experience they rarely get as rough as some roads in the USA.

Reactions: jhoughton1