Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla to Reduce Interior Options for Model S and Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to remove some of the interior options for Model S and Model X vehicles to streamline production, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

Musk urged prospective buyers to commit before Nov. 1 to get the interior they want before options become more limited.

Tesla made a similar move last year by packaging interior finishes to reduce the combination of options and streamline production.

Tesla currently offers five color combinations for the Model S and Model X interior, but it’s not clear what will be available after Nov. 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm betting at least one seating option goes away in the X, and the cream interior for both. They've already done away with cream on the P models. Sad as I bought the S partly because the 3 didn't have cream/tan. Probably do away with the cream headliner option on black interiors too. Plus maybe do away with wood and just make carbon fiber standard - more environmentally friendly?

Wouldn't be surprised to see the textile option go away - so they can focus only on the premium material for S/X seats.

They could also restrict which options have the carbon fiber - or eliminate the black wood option and replace it with carbon fiber.

why do you think it is sad? Do you not like the creme on your Model S? Or are you saying you wish they would keep it ? I wanted to better understand your comment.

Sad that they would remove it for future buyers. I love my cream interior. Premium car should have more options than entry level car. Elon even said something to that effect last year when describing the limited options on the Model 3 - he stated it made sense to offer less options than the flagship models.

Wow. They’ve already dropped Full Autopilot from the configurator, and now this. Hopefully it won’t be as drastic as removing one of the seating configurations. I have my heart set on a six-seat MX. Can’t order until Jan 2019.

6 seat is elon's favorite, and it's likely the most popular, it should stay.
7 is the most complex and had some complaints while 5 is rare.

Wow. They’ve already dropped Full Autopilot from the configurator, and now this. Hopefully it won’t be as drastic as removing one of the seating configurations. I have my heart set on a six-seat MX. Can’t order until Jan 2019.
You can order and postpone delivery..... to Dec. 31st. So to get full tax credit ;)

Have you considered trying to sell your lease?
Briefly considered that, but decided against it. I'm just going to ride it out. There are a lot of factors at play here. For example, I'm in the middle of remodeling my house and wouldn't have anyplace to put the MX right now anyway (no place with charging capability). Planning ahead, I'm having a HPWC installed in my garage as part of the remodel. House will be finished in March -- the same time the lease on my 7 Series is kaput. I'm using that timing as a convergence point. Thanks for the concern though :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Tesla seems to "just" be optimizing production. If people don't order enough to be profitable for Tesla to make, they should drop it.
5 seat option probably?? makes little sense with the Model Y being available.
In China - with chauffeur drivers - perhaps a high end/cost 4 sear option makes economic sense?? or custom shops may offer?

I remember, I think, Audi in only black, silver (and perhaps white?) many years ago.
And as a kid, it seemed Mercedes only in black or silver for a long time - but they were rare cars anyway - dealers being conservative?
Perhaps more custom colors using wraps? perhaps costs will come down on wraps too?

6 seat is elon's favorite, and it's likely the most popular, it should stay.
7 is the most complex and had some complaints while 5 is rare.

I don't think they could eliminate the 7 seat as they cuts off many families looking for the 7 seat SUV as a must have for car pooling. The 5 seat certainly seems like the likely candidate for elimination given that the rear 7 seats fold down anyway.

why do you think it is sad? Do you not like the creme on your Model S? Or are you saying you wish they would keep it ? I wanted to better understand your comment.
Grey was coveted by many - yet it went away. It may very well be some things go away due to inability to manage vender quality as well as in house. Thinking for example, fit & finish, windshield ghosting, decreased FWD sensors, ½shaft shudder, MCU yellow borders etc. That said, we'd originally wanted /ordered features that went away before we could get 'em. Retractable spoiler & vented seats come to mind. Weren't those features' demise due to quality?

And it when't worse then I had hoped, the panoramic roof you could open and have roof rack on is gone, child seats is gone and textile seat is gone. To compensate for better standard seat they also rise the price a bit. Carbon fiber is now also only for P100D. Be happy that they still have 75D and some color to choose from...