TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla to remove ventilated seat option

Discussion in 'Model S' started by drewsny, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. drewsny

drewsny Member

• Informative x 1
  2. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Well, that was quick. I don't see it in the configurator. Interior pic has no holes.

3. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Wow my 90D delivered December 27 will be fairly unusual with the ventilated seats. I think I will really like it, so far it has been cold and rainy.

• Like x 1
  4. Haxster

Haxster Member

Got them on mine. Wish I didn't. Essentially forced to pay $500 more for them to get leather and PUP.

Don't like the look as compared to regular leather. Dust catchers Likely to wear/tear faster than standard seats. Not likely to ever use the fan.

And besides, the sand from my bare back from a day at the beach would likely clog half of the perforations.

5. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I would assume my X order which hasn't gone into production yet would still get the ventilated seats? I hope so anyways...

6. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Pretty sure Tesla would call you if you weren't going to get the ventilated seats.

Good luck!

7. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

My phone is on... hope I don't get the call :)

8. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

If you do, and you really want them, fight for them.

They obviously have x number left, in stock, to install in cars yet to be built. They'll probably call everyone slated to receive them, hoping to get plenty of people who are indifferent about getting them. But I expect the people who really want them, and make their feelings known, will be able to get them.

9. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

I specifically bought an Inventory car because I did not want the ventilated seats and it seems there was no option to NOT get them at the time I was looking to buy (late December).

The Model X in the showroom had them and a) I did not feel they were as supporting as the NextGen seats and b) the bottom cushion leather was all stretched and wavy. I assume this was caused by the leather not being as rigid due to all the small perforations, which caused it to stretch.

• Informative x 1
  10. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

I tried the airflow in the show room, and honestly I could not feel a thing so I went with non-ventilated seats. I understand they sucked air instead of blowing out.... might have been good for removing farts :)

• Funny x 1
  11. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

The sucking air was a genius design because it reduces vapor pressure, increasing evaporation and helping reduce/eliminate clammy/sweaty skin. Tesla simply should have explained that fact - because anyone who doesn't remember that lecture out of physics 101 back in college won't understand why the air sucking is a good thing.

• Like x 3
  12. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Physics is great, and all. But, I wanted it for the fart sucking. :p

• Funny x 2
  13. DIL

DIL Supporting Member

wow huge disappointment. i hope this is just a temporary thing while they're changing suppliers or something. i have perforated ventilated seats on my Lexus, and was really looking forward to getting them on the Tesla. It's a really nice feature in the summer on a long drive.

14. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

As a genius, I learned physics in kindergarten and the sucking seats still suck.
    Hoping I don't get them. :)

• Like x 1
  15. Ucfjoe

Ucfjoe Member

Haven't tried them in Tesla but generally a ventilated seat fan. A noticable benefit in hot humid climates. The sucking concept is cool but I would expect it to get clogged over a somewhat short amount of time unless it has some sort of filter.

16. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Did the price of the PUP go down with this change? I don't recall what it was before.

17. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I'm sure I could get my kids to pay for that feature!

• Funny x 2
  18. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

On the Model S 90D the non-ventilated "next generation" seats were a $2500 option and the PUP was $3000 (US). When Tesla added the option of ventilated seats for 90Ds the Premium Seats were still $2500 but the PUP price rose to $3500.

19. Haxster

Haxster Member

Looks like the price has not changed from the most recent pricing... But you do get about 12 grams of extra leather from where the holes were.

It's even worse for buyers of the 60 and 75 series. As I recall, the PUP went from $3K to the current $3.5K. (previously, the extra $500 was only on the 90 and 100 series; presumably to pay for the sucky holes).

20. j2cc

j2cc Member

yes and before (December) you could get the multi-pattern black seats with PuP..combination they removed when introducing ventilated seats even on 60&75...Seats are not ventilated anymore..so doesn't make sense to package PuP with leather seats anymore...but they still do..and price didn't drop down !