TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla to resume reconditioning CPO's?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by cellphonechris, Jul 20, 2018.

1. cellphonechris

This is purely speculation, but I stumbled across lots of job requisitions on Tesla's site for collision and paint, all within the Service organization - Could we be seeing a return to refurbished CPO's?

upload_2018-7-20_13-59-21.png
    upload_2018-7-20_14-1-54.png

• Informative x 1
  2. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Member

nah i suspect that is for tesla certified bodyshops. They will do their own bodyshop work. I think i read something about it on electrek. I can't remember the details for sure and don't have the link to source handy

• Like x 4
  3. cellphonechris

Not sure that makes sense. If they're ramping the ability to do their own body work for paying customers, why wouldn't they recondition their own cars before putting them up for sale?

• Like x 1
  4. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

I hope so, then I wouldn't have to ask is that a dent in the crappy picture your highlighting or glare and just buy the P85D I wanted to upgrade to.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. hmmm

hmmm Member

• Informative x 1
  6. cellphonechris

7. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I really hope with the Tesla body shops, Tesla will stop the awful practice of trying to sell trashed and damaged cars.

They can now fix minor damage in house and at cost so customers can drive home a new to them car without shame.

• Like x 1
  8. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Tesla was spending so much cash refurbishing their cars that it wasn't cost effective to do any longer. Their plan all along was to do the work themselves to keep costs down. Once every one gets trained they will refurbish cars again or they will simply stop selling used cars all together.

9. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

Either option will be good so customers can buy a quality used car...

I don't see how if everyone else can refurbish and sell decent used cars while making a decent profit Tesla is unable to do the same. Perhaps this has to do with their CPO fleet being trashed and abused as service loaners? Either way the body shop development is great news and hopefully they will soon have in-house expertise to properly refurbish cars that they sell so a customer is not presented with a vehicle they'd be embarrassed to drive home.

• Like x 1
  10. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Well, even what they are doing now is still working. Used cars are selling.

11. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

#11 PhilDavid, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Yeah it is working but I'd say it is working to ruin Tesla's reputation and turn off customers new to the brand who may find it unfathomable cars in such poor shape are being sold if they've ever bought a CPO car from a dealer.

No other car dealer sells used cars in this price range in such horrible condition. We have rejected two cars already. I bet others have rejected cars as well and I'm sure some accept cars in poor condition.

At some point in the future they may run out of people gullible enough to buy used cars at these prices with damaged interiors and exteriors... They've taken the peace of mind you usually get when buying a car from a manufacturer/dealer by making it into an awful and unpredictable mess.

You are lucky that you bought your CPO before they started selling damaged cars. :D

12. Olds442

Olds442 Member

yes and no.

since the car is literally perfect i have to worry about that first f#@(^g ding. after that, i'll be good. but it will take me through the seven stages of death when it happens.

• Funny x 1
  13. hmmm

hmmm Member

At what stage did you reject the cars, ie upon seeing the pictures or at pick-up time?

Also, does anyone know what happens if one rejects a car which had to be delivered from another part of the country, ie do we get stuck with the $2,500 delivery fee? and what about the $1,200 prep fee or whatever the latter is called?

• Like x 1
  14. cellphonechris

Transport fee is non-refundable. Destination charge only applies to new cars.

• Informative x 1
  15. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Yeah and I rejected one car and Tesla automatically rejected another on my behalf LOL.

it just surprises me that people actually pay as much as they do for close to trashed CPO's.

• Like x 1
  16. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

Wish they would automatically reject selling trashed CPOs to EVERYONE :p

17. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Why
    when people pay for them

• Like x 1
  18. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

They already are as far as I can tell given how CPO pricing is higher than dealer pricing I see for comparable cars. I really wish CarMax would jump into Tesla sales so you can buy a quality used car with a warranty given how the quality aspect is lacking in CPO cars sold by Tesla.

IMHO when you buy a $60K, $70K used car, quality should not be an optional add-on. You totally lucked out when you bought your car as they did not sell trashed CPO cars back then.

• Like x 1
  19. HeinrichJ729

HeinrichJ729 Member

I find that surprising as well. I would be embarrassed to own a car in such poor condition as some of the CPO cars I have seen. I guess they will see the trashed CPO cars to people who are okay with buying cars that are trashed and when they run out of those people, they will hopefully fix their CPO program.

I really hope they get their body shops online ASAP so they can stop selling cars in such awful condition.

• Like x 1
  20. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I guess they can "practice" on their CPO fleet after they setup the body shops :)

Not sure of that would make current CPO cars better or worse :p

• Like x 1