Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to start charging for streaming music starting July 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hassle. My iPod already has everything on it. Lots that isn’t even available on the streaming services. DJ mixes etc.
You can play those files from your phone via Bluetooth... You could also dump the iPod's music files on to a USB flash drive and plug that into the car (though, you'd have no real playlist support). Granted, the USB flash drive approach assumes the files are DRM free and/or otherwise compatible.

Media playback and phone integration have been weak points of the S and X since launch and it seems the 3 is carrying on that Tesla tradition...

You can play those files from your phone via Bluetooth... You could also dump the iPod's music files on to a USB flash drive and plug that into the car (though, you'd have no real playlist support). Granted, the USB flash drive approach assumes the files are DRM free and/or otherwise compatible.

Like he said "hassle". I only got my podcasts to play property in v.6 on USB. Since then, they've just been a hassle to play through the car since the car will play them to itself overnight -- or start from the beginning -- and Bluetooth with your own device doesn't work great either, at least for me. Plus, what if your device doesn't have Bluetooth, like a lifetime sub sirius radio? Then you have to use a dongle that you need to charge. With a 3.5mm input jack, there's nothing else involved, no conflicts or drops and no worries. Simple. I just wish Tesla also saw it that way but I guess it's the past. Apple doesn't even the jack anymore -- and that irritates me too.

Reactions: TheLocNar
I think they will alienate a lot of people if this doesn’t include existing reservation holders. I, too, would be happy to place my order today if Tesla would let me.

Maybe this means they’ll be sending out lots of configuration emails next week. (Trying to stay positive)

Looks like it'll cover the first year for anyone ordering PUP (AKA reservation holders that take deliver probably for the remainder of the year).

The package breakdown looks a lot like a SiriusXM account package, only cheaper.

The "free" version include the live traffic data for calculating route, that'd cover me. If for some reason I felt compelled to check colour coded traffic delay I've got my phone (because it's also my key), and I've run music via my phone for years now.

On the other hand my wife has long gotten the Sirus XM traffic package. At the end of the first year we'll have to do an assessment of which of us are driving it more and likely make the call of re-upping Premium at that time.

Didn't Elon say that they needed a billing system for the dashcam feature or was that a hotspot feature? When the dashcam comes out with update 8.3 I wonder if will be part of the paid service or an additional up sell?

Media playback and phone integration have been weak points of the S and X since launch and it seems the 3 is carrying on that Tesla tradition...

But the music isn’t on my phone. It’s all on my iPod. You’d think a company like tesla could make iPods work in their cars. It’s just so stupid.

But the music isn’t on my phone. It’s all on my iPod. You’d think a company like tesla could make iPods work in their cars. It’s just so stupid.
The iPod will work via Bluetooth. Just don’t know if you can have multiple Bluetooth devices paired simultaneously - phone for hands free calls & iPod for media. So it may not work while your phone is paired. I’ll have to give it a try.

From owner’s manual:
Bluetooth® Compatibility
You can use your Bluetooth-capable phone hands-free in Model S provided your phone is within operating range. Although Bluetooth typically supports wireless communication over distances of up to approximately 30 feet (9 meters), performance can vary based on the phone you are using.
Before using your phone with Model S, you must pair it. Pairing sets up Model S to work with your Bluetooth-capable phone (see Pairing a Bluetooth Phone on page 113).
You can pair up to ten Bluetooth phones. Model S always automatically connects to the last phone that was used (provided it is within range). If you want to connect to a different phone, see Connecting to a Paired Phone on page 114.
Note: On many phones, Bluetooth turns off if the phone’s battery is low.
Note: In addition to phones, you can also pair Bluetooth-enabled devices with Model S. For example, you can pair an iPod Touch or an iPad or Android tablet to stream music.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck
To further clarify: (also from owner’s manual)

USB Connected Flash Drives
Connect a flash drive to one of the USB connections (see USB Connections on page 111). Touch Media Player > USB, and then touch the name of the folder that contains the song you want to play. After you display the contents of any folder on the USB connected flash drive, you can touch the right arrow in the Now Playing view to display your songs in a list. Touch any song in the list to play it. Or use the previous and next arrows in the Now Playing view to scroll through your songs.
Note: To play media from a USB connection, Model S recognizes flash drives only. You can play media from other types of devices (such as an iPod) by connecting to the device using Bluetooth (described below).
Note: Media Player supports USB flash drives with NTFS or FAT32 formatting. (exFAT is not currently supported.)

The iPod will work via Bluetooth. Just don’t know if you can have multiple Bluetooth devices paired simultaneously - phone for hands free calls & iPod for media. So it may not work while your phone is paired. I’ll have to give it a try.

From owner’s manual:
Bluetooth® Compatibility
You can use your Bluetooth-capable phone hands-free in Model S provided your phone is within operating range. Although Bluetooth typically supports wireless communication over distances of up to approximately 30 feet (9 meters), performance can vary based on the phone you are using.
Before using your phone with Model S, you must pair it. Pairing sets up Model S to work with your Bluetooth-capable phone (see Pairing a Bluetooth Phone on page 113).
You can pair up to ten Bluetooth phones. Model S always automatically connects to the last phone that was used (provided it is within range). If you want to connect to a different phone, see Connecting to a Paired Phone on page 114.
Note: In addition to phones, you can also pair Bluetooth-enabled devices with Model S. For example, you can pair an iPod Touch or an iPad or Android tablet to stream music.
Just tried.
Definitely can only connect one Bluetooth device at a time.

I've spent hours trying to get Bluetooth working, or to stay working, with various devices and dongles -- while cursing Elon for a simple 3.5mm input jack.

It makes no sense to me that such a revolutionary tech company like Tesla can't make a simple music player that works. I've bought $29 devices from China that remember my place podcasts after I go to others and come back -- and do a lot of other things better.

But the fact that it's free for the life of both of my vehicles, or more likely only while I own those vehicles, makes it all better -- almost.

From owner’s manual:
Bluetooth® Compatibility

I have a 120 GB iPod Classic that I’ve had plugged into my 2010 Infiniti for 8 years. :)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've spent hours trying to get Bluetooth working, or to stay working, with various devices and dongles -- while cursing Elon for a simple 3.5mm input jack.

It makes no sense to me that such a revolutionary tech company like Tesla can't make a simple music player that works. I've bought $29 devices from China that remember my place podcasts after I go to others and come back -- and do a lot of other things better.

But the fact that it's free for the life of both of my vehicles, or more likely only while I own those vehicles, makes it all better -- almost.

That’s exactly what I’m getting at.

This policy change with only 1 week warning til cutoff seems fishy... in a good way in that

A. End of 2nd quarter, full federal rebate timing
B. If "Order by June 31st" means configured and 2500 paid

We could be seeing a mass invite for configuration this week, last week of June.

This policy change with only 1 week warning til cutoff seems fishy... in a good way in that

We could be seeing a mass invite for configuration this week, last week of June.
A sense of urgency is a powerful incentive.
We were waiting to configure for AWD, but when Washington State Legislators failed to extend the Sales Tax Exemption for the first $32,000 before the end of the legislative session on March 8th, we ordered on March 9. Took delivery on April 17. Tax exemption ended May 31. No regrets.

A. As far as the Federal Rebate, nothing will change at the end of the 2nd quarter. We are guaranteed full $7,500 rebate through end of Q3, and in all likelihood, full credit though the end of year.

B. It's going to be a long time before we hit June 31st :). However, I doubt many people who are waiting for a different configuration will be convinced to order the First Production (RWD LR) just to save $100 per year.

• Funny
Reactions: jsmay311
A. as in why annoy thousands and thousands of people with this quick policy change unless you won't be annoying the majority by giving them config invites prior to July.

B. I Can't believe Tesla got rid of the 31st day of June.

• Funny
Reactions: Fiver