Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to start charging for streaming music starting July 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man I hope everyone who threw down $1000 is included, if not this makes me strangely furious. I'd be totally ok with them saying everyone who doesn't have a reservation on 1 July will pay a premium, and "free" premium connectivity is not transferable with the car. I would be ok with that. But if I turned down a RWD car so that I can get an AWD or Performance (spend more money) and now I can't get internet radio included..... fail.

Reactions: jsrawa and adaptabl
Is it possible that this is a small little tease to try and get some fence sitters to make a reservation before the end of the quarter and drive up those numbers? I mean I know it's a nominal amount, but it's just the kind of thing that might make some people get off the fence.

Reactions: Galve2000
The article uses the word “ordered”. If they are correct then everyone in the queue should be okay if ordered is ponying up $1K
I highly doubt it if you’re talking about the thousand dollar deposit to reserve Model 3.
A reservation very different than an order.
My guess is you will have to have configured a vehicle and put down the additional $2500 required to place that order.

The party is over for new cars purchased after July 1, 2018... :cool:

Tesla is introducing new paid ‘premium connectivity’ package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet In an email to its sales team this weekend, Tesla gave an update on the status of the internet connectivity in its fleet. All current Tesla owners and those who order a Model S, Model X, or Model 3 before July 1st will never have to pay for internet connectivity in their cars.

For vehicles ordered after July 1st, Tesla will start offering two different packages: ‘Premium Connectivity package’ and ‘Standard Connectivity package.’ As the name entails, the ‘Standard Connectivity package’ will come at no additional charge. A Tesla vehicle with this package will still have internet connectivity, but it will only be used for applications that require low amounts of data.

Specifically, we are talking about maps and navigation. Owners will still benefit from Tesla’s recently updated navigation system, but they will not have access to the satellite maps or the live traffic visualization. The routing system will still make use of the live traffic data, but drivers won’t be able to see it on the center touchscreen like the green, orange, and red lines in this screenshot:

upload_2018-6-23_16-55-36-png.311977

Buyers will also have the option to go with the ‘Premium Connectivity package’. Tesla has not confirmed the price of the package yet, but they are aiming for something close to $100 per year. Under this package, maps and navigation will still have the option to show satellite maps and live traffic visualization. It will also include in-car streaming music and media, which has so far been included with apps like Slacker and Spotify. The internet browser will now be a part of the premium package along with over-the-air updates working both with WiFi and LTE connections.

Tesla also says that Model S and Model X vehicles ordered on or after July 1st will receive a year of free ‘Premium Connectivity package’. Model 3 vehicles with the premium interior, which is a $5,000 option and the only current Model 3 interior in production, will also get the same deal. (The last paragraph updated to clarify that Model S and Model X get the first year free regardless of having the premium interior package or not.) At the end of the year, they will get the option to purchase the package or revert to standard connectivity via the center touchscreen.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and Canuck
I think they will alienate a lot of people if this doesn’t include existing reservation holders. I, too, would be happy to place my order today if Tesla would let me.

Maybe this means they’ll be sending out lots of configuration emails next week. (Trying to stay positive)
On the bright side.
I always wondered what my LTE costs would be after 4 years.
If the cost really turns out to be only $100/yr, that’s a bargain. Way less than I would have anticipated.
Obviously free forever on our Model S & our Model 3 is better - never expected that.

Is it possible that this is a small little tease to try and get some fence sitters to make a reservation before the end of the quarter and drive up those numbers? I mean I know it's a nominal amount, but it's just the kind of thing that might make some people get off the fence.
Unlikely, because I'm a fence sitter and "my" car is going to someone else. I'm on the fence for SR AWD.

For existing owners it says you can continue with "what you have now". What if they add Apple Car Play support. Would that be in the Premium? Or Android Car (not sure the name)? Or some other feature not available now.
I believe they are referring Internet Connectivity/Bandwith & Music Streaming. (Slacker Radio in US)
I believe Apple CarPlay relies on your iOS device’s internet connectivity & a Bluetooth connection between the car & the iOS device.
Although it would be interesting if was possible to use an LTE connected device as a WiFi hotspot to enable premium features like traffic showing up on maps...

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are local in the car. I have it in my pickup with an aftermarket radio that doesn’t have cellular service. There would be no reason to tie these options to a cellular data plan. Having said that, I personally doubt Tesla will ever add either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to any of their vehicles.

FWIW (and I realize that for those of you not yet able to order, it's probably not worth much), $100/year is very competitive. Volvo's plan through AT&T is $240/year and requires dealing with AT&T... (Though it does include in-vehicle hotspot). Audi's is $500 for 18 months.

Both of those vendors also require subscriptions for the sort of stuff we get in the Tesla app gratis.

FWIW (and I realize that for those of you not yet able to order, it's probably not worth much), $100/year is very competitive. Volvo's plan through AT&T is $240/year and requires dealing with AT&T... (Though it does include in-vehicle hotspot). Audi's is $500 for 18 months.

Both of those vendors also require subscriptions for the sort of stuff we get in the Tesla app gratis.

But if an Audi or Volvo owner does not get a connectivity plan... They still have FM, AM, Nav, Carplay and Android auto... Right? So with those cars no real need for a connectivity plan.