Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Start Producing 10-30 and 6-50 Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is because of the 14-30. Did you get two letter then? Even though there has been no case of a 10-30 melting, it sounds as if the 10-30 replacement will be a lower priority.
I missed that you had the 10-30. I only got one email, but that probably explains it. The email said 14-30's will go out in a "couple of weeks", but the other 2 will take 3 months (see post #9, above). We'll probably get 10-30 emails then.

Why don't you follow their advice ?

Surely the slight inconvenience is worth your safety.

Well I doubt they are going to send Supratachophobia 30+ 14-30 adapters, and in any case he shouldn't have to spend money and time packing up and shipping adapters because of Teslas mistake and stupid policy. And then for my 10-30 adapter I no longer have the contact information for the person I got it from.

Why should my safety be dependent on the kindness of some third-party?

I think with this one Tesla will learn something about recalls and end up changing their policy.

Here is the email I got back from Tesla:

That certainly isn't how you handle a safety recall. I've never heard of a recall being handled that way.

That is not acceptable. If I bought my adapter from Craigslist or something, and that person is no longer contactable, then I should still be able to get the adapter replaced by Tesla. I recommend anyone in this situation file a complaint with the NHTSA about the recall process. It IS a safety recall, after all.

That is not acceptable. If I bought my adapter from Craigslist or something, and that person is no longer contactable, then I should still be able to get the adapter replaced by Tesla. I recommend anyone in this situation file a complaint with the NHTSA about the recall process. It IS a safety recall, after all.

@Az_Rael I agree, and was thinking about that, but I figured I would give Tesla a little time to revise their policy. (That and the NHTSA hasn't listed the recall yet.) That would be like Toyota saying: "I'm sorry you didn't buy your car from us, so to get your deadly airbags replaced you will have to get the original purchaser to bring the car in for the recall work." Um, NO!

If in a week or so if Tesla hasn't changed their policy I will file a complaint with the NHTSA to encourage them to re-think the policy.

Well I doubt they are going to send Supratachophobia 30+ 14-30 adapters
The Tesla recall says they will do exactly that.

I don't see having to go through the 3rd party vendor you bought the doodad from as being outrageous. And if I was actually concerned about safety, rather than just throwing the word around as a political leverage point, I would just get the swap done expeditiously through Supratachophobia.

Last edited:
I don't see having to go through the 3rd party vendor you bought the doodad from as being outrageous.

But I didn't deal with a vendor I just dealt with a random helpful person. What if that person refuses to give you the adapter that Tesla ships them because they are just going to sell it on eBay? What if they are unreachable? What if they died? Again: That would be like Toyota saying: "I'm sorry you didn't buy your car from us, so to get your deadly airbags replaced you will have to get the original purchaser to bring the car in for the recall work." Um, NO!

And we don't know if Tesla is going to sell the new revision of adapters after the recall. (I assume they would order extra and then put them up for sale, but who knows.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
If they expect to get the old adapters back, sending the new ones to the original purchaser who may no longer possess the old adapter seems like a really poor decision. I bought a 14-30 at my service center who got it transferred from another service center for me. I did not get the recall email so I assume I am not currently on their list for a replacement. I've only used mine once though so I'm sure I'm not high on the replacement list.

I really don't understand why it isn't as simple as "bring in bad one, we give you good one"?

It is more proactive, and convenient, for people if Tesla ships them directly without needing them to request it. People may end up with replacements before they even knew there was a recall. However, over the counter exchange, or some other process, needs to be an option for people that didn't buy the adapters directly.

If they expect to get the old adapters back, sending the new ones to the original purchaser who may no longer possess the old adapter seems like a really poor decision.

Bingo! They will likely need more adapters than they sold if they continue to go down this route. (But probably not enough to be significant.)

@Az_Rael I agree, and was thinking about that, but I figured I would give Tesla a little time to revise their policy. (That and the NHTSA hasn't listed the recall yet.) That would be like Toyota saying: "I'm sorry you didn't buy your car from us, so to get your deadly airbags replaced you will have to get the original purchaser to bring the car in for the recall work." Um, NO!

If in a week or so if Tesla hasn't changed their policy I will file a complaint with the NHTSA to encourage them to re-think the policy.

What did they say when you told them you no longer have the contact info for the person you bought it from? That might be a good red flag for them that they need to have a policy for 2nd hand owners.

Why don't you follow their advice ?

Surely the slight inconvenience is worth your safety.

Because if it truly is a safety recall, this isn't how you primarily handle it. You contact the manufacturer if they haven't contacted you already. Then they verify you are affected, and then a replacement is shipped out and you return the supposed defective unit to them at their cost. The trick is to make it as least inconvenient as possible. The way it is now creates a lot of people falling through the cracks, including 2nd hand owners, owners that aren't owners anymore, customers that found genuine adapters through alternate means, etc.

As with many things Tesla, I think their heart truly is in the right place, they are just having trouble communicating properly. I trust it will sort itself out. If not, @SageBrush can help me pack up all the adapters I'm going to get.

Last edited:
But I didn't deal with a vendor I dealt with just a random person. What if that person refuses to give you the adapter that Tesla ships them because they are just going to sell it on eBay? What if they are unreachable? What if they died? Again: That would be like Toyota saying: "I'm sorry you didn't buy your car from us, so to get your deadly airbags replaced you will have to get the original purchaser to bring the car in for the recall work." Um, NO!

And we don't know if Tesla is going to sell the new revision of adapters after the recall. (I assume they would order extra and then put them up for sale, but who knows.)

Thank you, I would not call myself a vendor in this case. Just someone who wanted to help.

Really ? You prefer to lie than just call your vendor ?!

I'm not lying. I didn't work with a vendor. (But I guess that depends on which definition you use.)

While I have the contact information for supratachophob, who I got my 14-30 adapter from, I do not have the contact information for the person I bought the 10-30 adapter from.

I can tell you haven't been involved in any safety recalls. In a safety recall it doesn't matter how/where you got the product the manufacturer has to repair/replace it. (Yes that is right, if you stole a recalled product they still have to repair or replace it.)

I would assume someone accidentally communicated it the first way, so as to weed out people who may claim to have a faulty adapter when they don't actually have one and they are trying to get a free one.