Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Start Producing 10-30 and 6-50 Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One problem though is that some old wiring uses the 6-50 outlet, but only wired for 30 amps and with a 30 amp fuse. be careful and keep the amps down to ~24 if you are charging overnight and not in a hurry unless you are sure it is safe.
Perhaps you are mis-speaking. Do you mean on a 40 amp breaker? That exception exists because there is no 40 amp outlet type, but it has never been up to code to have a 50 amp outlet type on a 30 amp breaker.

Perhaps you are mis-speaking. Do you mean on a 40 amp breaker? That exception exists because there is no 40 amp outlet type, but it has never been up to code to have a 50 amp outlet type on a 30 amp breaker.
I found out the hard way last Christmas that my brother's 6-50 outlet was using a 40 amp fuse. It charged just fine for a couple hours and then blew the fuse. I had to wait until after the holiday to head to Home Depot and get a replacement fuse. After that, I set my charge rate down to 32 amps and didn't have any more problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I asked an electrician to replace a 6-50 at a location in the middle of rural nowhere with a 14-50 and he said he couldn't do it because there were only three wires and they weren't rated for 50 amps anyway and the fuse box (yes fuse not breaker) had that 6-50 on a 30 amp fuse. He said lots of old welder plugs using 6-50 were only good for 30 amp (so really 24 or whatever). So he just left it as it was.

I asked an electrician to replace a 6-50 at a location in the middle of rural nowhere with a 14-50 and he said he couldn't do it because there were only three wires and they weren't rated for 50 amps anyway and the fuse box (yes fuse not breaker) had that 6-50 on a 30 amp fuse. He said lots of old welder plugs using 6-50 were only good for 30 amp (so really 24 or whatever). So he just left it as it was.
The first part makes sense. You really can't (legally) change a 6-50 to a 14-50. The 6 series outlets are 208 or 240V and ground. They only supply that 200ish voltage level. A 14 series outlet has hot, hot, neutral, and ground, so it can provide 120V or 240V. There is no neutral in a 6-50, so yeah, you aren't allowed to just put a 14-50 outlet on it and leave that neutral slot disconnected.

For the second part, I think I get what he's saying, but those still should have never been legal installs. You aren't allowed to put a 6-50 outlet on a 30 amp breaker, because there is a 6-30 outlet, which is the proper outlet for that level of circuit. I suppose some welders are lower power than other ones, so maybe some brands or models will only pull twenty-something amps, but they come with a cord with a 6-50 plug so they can use existing welder outlets--maybe. But for what he technically said, yeah, I can sure imagine that there are plenty of joe sixpack home handyman wannabes that think they can go ahead and put in a 6-50 outlet on a 30 amp circuit because their welder says that's all it'll draw. I saw a guy here in my town that had a 50 amp outlet type on a 20 amp circuit that he had installed! He said he put it in for an air compressor that he used to have but wasn't using anymore. I was gritting my teeth at seeing that, because that's illegal too.