TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla to Tesla Messaging - A good use case?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Hkbruin, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Hkbruin

Hkbruin Member

I was commuting to work on Friday morning heading south from the OC to Carlsbad. I saw a MSM Model 3 catch up to me and pass me. I noticed that the front accent light was out on one of his headlights - I really wanted to tell him "Hey! Your accent light is out!" It would have been cool if I could send him a message, although the action of sending him a message would undoubtedly increase the chances of danger/an accident, I wonder if such a thing is on the roadmap, perhaps maybe even a hidden feature?

Additionally, I think if we were able to receive emergency notifications such as for Earthquakes or other incidents affecting traffic, it would be immensely helpful to get those alerts. Does anyone else have ideas about how a Tesla to Tesla communication would be useful? Obviously if the cars to talk to each and determine their distances from each other etc, that would be pretty helpful with AP and FSD.

• Like x 1
  2. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

The problem is how would you send him that message? Have his car show up on your map? What would the range on that be? What you are suggesting basically means other people's GPS locations would show up on your map....that would raise a lot of privacy flags for people, though i agree the feature could be a lot of fun all things considered. You don't know how many times I've wished I could send another car a quick message.... not all of them nice.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

I would like the Tesla App (and/or Plug Share) to allow owner to owner messaging (maybe type in their VIN) so that you could ask them how long they will be charging for, or if they are done and could move.

• Like x 1
  4. TT97

TT97 Active Member

This reminds me of when Virgin America had seat-to-seat messaging. My wife would always complain about creepy guys trying to meet up using the system. I could see this degrading quickly if Tesla did the same thing (not that any creepy guy wold be driving a Tesla).

5. Tezlah

Tezlah Member

I can see it now:

You received a message from a signature red Model S near your current location: “Thanks for contesting our superchargering stations, @zz hole.”

(Reclines seat to hide, continues to supercharge) :(

6. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I would love this feature. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement though. Plus even if it was possible, you would have to let people choose whether to opt in or out. And you know some people would be idiots and send things that other people don't want to see.