Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to unlock the +5mph stop sign / stop light limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
For those, actually the one guy, that didn’t know that Tesla had lock out the +5mph speed limit it is now being reported that the +5mph limit will be unlocked for Stop Sign and Traffic Light Control (No-Confirmation Green Lights) very soon in an upcoming software update.

https://twitter.com/teslascope/status/1279510902216118272?s=21

Now maybe it’ll be useful!!!

For those, actually the one guy, that didn’t know that Tesla had lock out the +5mph speed limit it is now being reported that the +5mph limit will be unlocked for Stop Sign and Traffic Light Control (No-Confirmation Green Lights) very soon in an upcoming software update.

It’s only limited to the speed limit in autopilot when both Auto-steer & TACC are engaged. If you just have TACC engaged only normal limits are there.

• Informative
Reactions: Ol'Blue and GSP

I'm confused. If stop sign/traffic light recognition is on, my car has a cap on what the car thinks is the speed limit, don't even get the +5 mph anymore. Do other people get +5 mph with traffic light recognition.

Are they changing to go back to +5 mph or will they remove the limits all together (up to 90 mph)?

Reactions: Kmartyn
Amen. I’d like to see a feature added to make the stops and starts more gradual/smooth. AP seems to brake and accelerate much harder than I normally do which hurts efficiency.

I agree. Over time my adaptive cruise control has gotten more abrupt in adjusting speed. It also has gotten “afraid” of moderate hills and sweeping turns dropping the speed approximately 5mph. My old BMW i3 had a display that awarded stars for efficient driving. One category was “anticipation” (if I remember correctly). It was easier to do 1 pedal driving in the i3 than on my MX or MS because the i3’s regen braking was much stronger. The Tesla cruise control would not earn any “stars” on the i3 display. LOL

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
this is why I basically don’t use autopilot anymore.

there are too many roads around where I am that if you go the speed limit, you’re the least safe driver.
Agreed. Not safe at speed limit. (or below approaching green lights)
That is why I currently have the stop light feature turned off unless I’m testing it. I welcome higher speed settings.

Reactions: boonedocks
I'm confused. If stop sign/traffic light recognition is on, my car has a cap on what the car thinks is the speed limit, don't even get the +5 mph anymore. Do other people get +5 mph with traffic light recognition.

Are they changing to go back to +5 mph or will they remove the limits all together (up to 90 mph)?

Basically atm the car can be in one of three different conditions: (a) Any AP function on a freeway (AP, TACC, NoA), on which case you set the speed as usual; (b) using TACC with stop lights on a divided road, in which case the car responds to stop signs etc but you CAN set the speed above the posted limit; (c) using TACC with stop lights on a regular (non-divided) road, in which case the car is limited to the posted speed.

The (b) thing seems to have been added since the original release of TACC with stop lights. Most people (myself included) thing (c) is a bad choice since it is more dangerous when other cars around you are always driving over the limit by 5/10 mph. Hopefully this is what is going to change soon.

• Informative
Basically atm the car can be in one of three different conditions: (a) Any AP function on a freeway (AP, TACC, NoA), on which case you set the speed as usual; (b) using TACC with stop lights on a divided road, in which case the car responds to stop signs etc but you CAN set the speed above the posted limit; (c) using TACC with stop lights on a regular (non-divided) road, in which case the car is limited to the posted speed.

The (b) thing seems to have been added since the original release of TACC with stop lights. Most people (myself included) thing (c) is a bad choice since it is more dangerous when other cars around you are always driving over the limit by 5/10 mph. Hopefully this is what is going to change soon.

Ok, this matches to what I have, which brings me back to my original question, what does the tweet mean? Since currently, they cap it at what the car thinks is the speed limit and not +5 mph, does the tweet mean they will allow +5 mph with stop light recognition or are they removing the cap all together?

AP at +5 mph is pointless, at the speed limit it's dangerous (especially as in L.A., speed limits are changed regularly so many roads have the wrong speed limit displayed on the screen). I tried stop light recognition for one day and then turned it off as it is absolutely useless and made driving more stressful than not using any TACC/AP at all.

• Funny
I drive mostly in “b” in your explanation for exactly the reasons you label.

I’m still helping push the the software learning, but in real life speeds.

just wish the way marker lights in the tunnels where I live didn’t make the car think they are traffic lights! but this is how it learns.

• Informative