TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Bloomberg News

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by DJ Frustration, Jan 10, 2014.

1. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Interesting development.
    Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Bloomberg

"Tesla Motors Inc., which is under investigation by U.S. regulators over fires in its Model S sedan after battery punctures, will upgrade wall charger adapters following reports of overheating in garages.

The charger connectors, which connect Tesla-issued cables with wall outlets, will be mailed out in the next two weeks, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said in an interview today."

Anyone have a link to the interview from Elon?

2. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

3. AprilDelivery??

Which wall adapter is that? The 120v adapter? Or the 40 amp adapter?

4. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I wonder why we haven't heard anything about this from Tesla directly. From reading the article, it seems like a good idea - add a thermal fuse in the plug so if it gets too hot, it shuts off. This should deal with any bad wiring in the outlet like what probably happened in the garage fire.

5. drees

drees Active Member

Typical overblown headline corrected by the first sentence of the article. :rolleyes:

That said, it's good that Tesla is doing this. Now if only they'd beef up the adapter pins and/or the way the adapter attaches to the plug at the same time...

I would have to assume it's going into all the adapters. That'd be the best way to detect overheating at both sides of the adapter.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

I had a problem with my 14-50 connect not locking in place last weekend. I brought it to the service center and they replaced both the UMC (the locking pin was not quite grabbing the adaptor) and the 14-50, even though the old 14-50 locked in place fine. They said they just got in batch of new, improved 14-50s last week.

You can tell if they are the new version, if it has a green dot on the side that plugs into the wall.

7. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

So this is the third version? If I understand correctly, the first and second versions have had problems overheating. So would the one with the green dot be a second or third version?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

So, will it just be the NEMA 14-50 Adapter? What about those of us who purchased/received with the car the NEMA 6-50? What about the various 30 amp adapters?

9. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

What is misleading?

It's wrong to smear sources to cover up safety hazards.

10. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Unknown currently, but likely only for the 50A adapters right now, I bet they eventually have thermal fuses in ALL of the adapters.

11. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. Though, I'm not even sure if it's the UMC or the HPWC that's being changed.

12. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I would have to agree. Other than a mistaken plural (I only know of one garage fire), it's pretty descriptive.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

14. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

There was only one that I know about that there was a formal fire investigation by a fire department. However there have been others that have been reported to Tesla and on this forum. There is only one that I know of that was open flames, but the others could also be classified as fires because they were hot enough to melt and rapidly oxidized (aka burn/fire). Also a Tesla owner alleged that they were burned disconnecting the overheating charge connections.

15. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Btw, if I try to unplug my HPWC during charge or right after charge, it is impossible to do without burning my hand. I mean the type of burn that leaves redness for several hours. I now have an oven mitt next to the car.

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

My daily use adapter is the 6-50, not the 14-50.

- - - Updated - - -

The HPWC should not get that hot. You have an issue and need to notify customer care.

17. liuping

liuping Active Member

The green dot is the new one the service center received last week, so I assume it's the very latest.

18. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Gotcha, thanks. Then I have no problems with the headline.