Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to use AT&T for 4G LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about a data "plan" but it is a fact that Google maps requires a data connection, while the nav display in the cluster does not. I see that whenever I drive out of 3g range.

It's always been my understanding that 17" nav (Google maps) requires a data plan and instrument cluster nav (Tech package?) doesn't. I don't recall to what degree it was officially stated, intuited on TMC, or common sense (or what combination thereof).

Looks like AT&T will be used by GM/Chevrolet as well for connectivity and wi-fi hotspots.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Jan/0105-4g-lte.html

<snip>
Chevrolet drivers will be enjoying high-speed data - made possible by a new OnStar 4G LTE connection in the vehicle, running on AT&T’s network, the nation’s fastest and most reliable 4G LTE network.
Chevrolet today announced at the Consumer Electronics Show that the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette, Impala, Malibu, and Volt would be the first General Motors’ vehicles to come optionally equipped with OnStar 4G LTE. They will be followed by the Equinox, Silverado, Silverado HD, Spark and Spark EV.
<snip>

Vehicles Equipped with Built-in Wi-Fi Hotspot
The 4G LTE rollout will bring a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot to most Chevrolet vehicles, which allows passengers to connect their personal devices, such as smartphones, laptops and tablets, to high-speed wireless internet. Each vehicle can accommodate multiple devices at one time.

“We know that our customers rely on being connected on a daily, if not hourly basis, and they expect to be provided with the information and content they desire with no interruptions,” said Mary Chan, president, GM’s Global Connected Consumer. “A 4G LTE hotspot that’s built into a car’s architecture will provide a more consistent and powerful Wi-Fi connection than a smartphone.”
With OnStar’s 4G LTE connection, the vehicle acts as a mobile hub, giving customers easier access to apps and services that require a high-speed cellular or data connection. The vehicle will employ a wireless connection that does not rely on a brought-in mobile device.
In collaboration with AT&T, the data connection in the car will be fast – and flexible. Current AT&T customers will be able to add their vehicle to a shareable bucket of data through AT&T Mobile Share plans. All drivers can also pay for data as a standalone option. Additional pricing and data packages for OnStar 4G LTE will be announced later in 2014.
<snip>

@scottf200
Sounds like what Tesla advertised in 2011 and early 2012 for Model S. Too bad that it looks like Chevrolet will deliver on this promise first. :(

maybe they won't! We don't know what will happen with 6.0. Something tells me Elon won't be outdone by Chevrolet using the very same data plan they just signed with back in October. I know that the data can't be cheap every month for all the cars but then again. All these cars aren't cheap either!

Its just been reported in the news that Tesla and ATT have entered into an agreement for connecting current and future cars. The report does not provide any info on pricing, but notes that it will create a connected car innovation center in Atlanta and create an automotive solution and development platform called ATT Drive.

Looks like AT&T will be used by GM/Chevrolet as well for connectivity and wi-fi hotspots.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Jan/0105-4g-lte.html

@scottf200
Sounds like what Tesla advertised in 2011 and early 2012 for Model S. Too bad that it looks like Chevrolet will deliver on this promise first. :(

the Tesla Motors Model S specs site says the is 'Wifi-Ready', not 'Wifi-Hotspot'. There's a difference. WiFi ready means if you have a wireless network, your device (Model S), can use that device to connect wirelessly to your network, which means it could access the internet. Wifi-Ready != Wifi-hotspot or Wifi-Router. I was never under the impression the Model S would act as a hotspot, and never read or heard any statement from Tesla that said they would act as a hotspot...though that would be cool. Doesn't really matter to me anyway, because I already have a 4G LTE hotspot to connect all my devices, including my car, to add 4G LTE connectivity.

the Tesla Motors Model S specs site says the is 'Wifi-Ready', not 'Wifi-Hotspot'.
We've been over this before. I doesn't say it now (because Tesla keeps updating the site) but it did when I reserved my car.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't really matter to me anyway, because I already have a 4G LTE hotspot to connect all my devices, including my car, to add 4G LTE connectivity.
Sorry to pick on you but I'm weary of this trend.

"You have no reason to complain about XYZ..."
(even though you really do, I just haven't done the research)
"... but I don't really care because it doesn't affect me."

This kind of behavior on TMC has been repeated often and it's kind of pissing me off. Just FYI. I suspect I'm not alone.

It happened with 40 kWh vehicles. It happened with Sig angst. It's happening now with 120 kW supercharging.

We've been over this before. I doesn't say it now (because Tesla keeps updating the site) but it did when I reserved my car.

- - - Updated - - -

This kind of behavior on TMC has been repeated often and it's kind of pissing me off. Just FYI. I suspect I'm not alone.

It happened with 40 kWh vehicles. It happened with Sig angst. It's happening now with 120 kW supercharging.

How bout that hard drive we could use for music? Doesn't matter to me because I use a 1TB USB drive lol

Sorry, I didn't mean to aggregate you. I had no idea they previously said "hotspot". If it really said that, well I guess it wouldn't matter to me anyway because my LTE hotspot is still faster hahaha

Really though, what can we do? They'll respond to some things and completely dump on us for others. The 120kWh charging takes the cake though. I'd be pretty pissed if I was one of the ones who bought after the announcement and got an A battery, or if my VIN was higher than the first ones we saw from Dec'12 with a B battery pack yet still recv'd an 'A', ESPECIALLY that one in April with VIN 9XXX and still got an 'A' pack. That's just totally messed up. I got lucky though.

+1; I must agree. As I said in another venue-- not in spite of, but BECAUSE I want Tesla to succeed, I think it is important to offer constructive criticism where appropriate.

It might be helpful if all TMC members would consider this exercise before posting: Am I being respectful of my peers here? Am I seeking to advance only my own interest at the expense of others? Is my post likely to improve things for the TMC community and/or Tesla's core competencies?

It might be helpful if all TMC members would consider this exercise before posting: ... Is my post likely to improve things for the TMC community and/or Tesla's core competencies?

Really? We're all suppose to be Tesla cheerleaders? Your statement reads similar to the propaganda policies of North Korea (sorry, been watching Rodman's meltdown). I like contrarians. Christopher Hitchens was one of my favourite people to watch because he was probably the best contrarian of our time. Contrarians make all places better, in my opinion.

I learned from yobigd20's comments. I have a Rogers Aircard (Sierra 754S) with a 10gb grandfathered data plan. I unlocked it by buying the code online and when I went to Vegas recently I paid $30 for T-Mobiles prepaid 5gb per month LTE and it worked great. My family all had data everywhere, there are free phone apps for calling - like MagicJack -and my kids iMessaged. So I read his comments with interest about the tethering to the vehicle. I also laughed at his lighthearted rebuttal to what I thought were rude comments directed at him. We're all big boys with hopefully thick skin. I see no need to tell everyone to only post things that are in line with "Tesla's core competencies" and to be very careful of people feelings. That sounds boring to me. But perhaps I joined the wrong forum and don't belong here.

Okay, fire away.... lol

Last edited:
Really? We're all suppose to be Tesla cheerleaders? Your statement reads similar to the propaganda policies of North Korea (sorry, been watching Rodman's meltdown). I like contrarians. Christopher Hitchens was one of my favourite people to watch because he was probably the best contrarian of our time. Contrarians make all places better, in my opinion.

I learned from Brianman's comments. I have a Rogers Aircard (Sierra 754S) with a 10gb grandfathered data plan. I unlocked it by buying the code online and I when I went to Vegas recently I paid $30 for T-Mobiles prepaid 5gb per month LTE and it worked great. My family all had data everywhere, there are free phone apps for calling - like MagicJack -and my kids iMessaged. So I read his comments with interest about the tethering to the vehicle. I also laughed at his lighthearted rebuttal to what I thought were rude comments directed at him. We're all big boys with hopefully thick skin. I see no need to tell everyone to only post things that are in line with "Tesla's core competencies" and to be very careful of people feelings. That sounds boring to me. But perhaps I joined the wrong forum and don't belong here.

Okay, fire away.... lol

I think you misunderstood the intent of the post. Vger clearly was agreeing with brianman & the need for constructive criticism. That's the opposite of the cheerleading you accuse him of.

Reread it. Then let's all move on please.

I think you misunderstood the intent of the post. Vger clearly was agreeing with brianman & the need for constructive criticism. That's the opposite of the cheerleading you accuse him of.

Reread it. Then let's all move on please.

I had the name wrong. It was yobigd20's comment on the last page about tethering his LTE aircard to his car that I found interesting. I corrected my post above -- it doesn't change my comment --- but I'll take your advice and moved on.

I am considering purchase of a Model S with dual motors. It does not have LTE. That is a deal breaker. Audi does have LTE in the A6 and A3.

I have had my Tesla for more than a year and a half and the only reason for LTE is that the web browser is slow, otherwise everything else that needs data is perfectly fine. Definitely not a deal breaker in my opinion. Especially when you consider all the other tech advancements in the S over other premium cars (just the OTA software updates alone puts others to shame)

It is also pretty easy to add a LTE Wifi hotspot if you really need LTE. The cost of that is barely a rounding error compared to the cost of the car. I have one and I use it in my car occasionally. With my plan I am able to add additional devices for $10/month and pool all of the data usage.