Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla told me their Quaity control specs is protected information.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I found one solution, I downloaded the auto shop Body repair manual and am logging the spec from there. No the solution I was wanting. But this is a good starting point.at least I have something I can show the manager when I try to pick up my next one. Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s greatly appreciated.
Oh damn, the grammar police from Brea are going to be gunning for you... 😂

I rejected a M3 performance that had primer showing on the outside of the vehicle, and horrible gaps. For example the black trim below the driver door window was almost completely above the rear doors black trim.
The manager told me the vehicle was within specs of the plant and the service department. I inquired to what the minimum specs were and I was told it was protected information.

Does anyone have a link or document for what Tesla deems acceptable quality for delivery? I understand things like code are protected, but to tell me a poorly assembled car is within specs and we can’t not disclose what is acceptable to them seems to point there is none. The manager at the Camarillo store in California told me that as long as it has wheels and moves then it meets there requirements.

Anything that leads me to the standards Tesla uses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ps. Photos are not of the one I rejected, but some of ones delivered and accepted for an example. But my doors was almost as bad.
The document may not be for the public (they rarely are), but they surely can tell you how many mm range the spec is.

I find it hard to believe however the trunk would stick up that much (first picture) and them claim to be in spec as that looks like it could rub. However, for the trim on the door not lining perfectly, I could see that being consider in spec as even a slight variation can be very obvious (may be the reason why they switched to black trim, which I guess makes things less noticeable when they don't line up).

For example, from a previous discussion, industry gap sizes for hood to fender average around 3-4mm, with a 2mm tolerance between the widest gap and narrowest gap. This means if the gap is not uniform it can be quite noticeable and still be "in spec".
Model 3 Frunk Fit tolerance

I'm just amused that a person complaining about quality control has a spelling error and a grammatical error in the subject line.
Not all of use can be perfect like you. But I’d does give us something to thrive for. Thank you for the criticism. It truly shows your character. God bless
Oh come on, it was funny.

And yes don’t accept a car you can’t live with. My Model 3 delivery was end of third quarter 2018. My car was near perfect to me. They were doing due bills back then and they adjusted a fender portion near a head light that was not flush and adjusted the gap at hood bumper front (looked too narrow and was concerned about opening the frunk). There was one guy on here who rejected a number of car deliveries back then. Can’t recall if he finally took one he found acceptable or if they said he couldn’t order another one for some period of time. Hope your next car makes you smile.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
The document may not be for the public (they rarely are), but they surely can tell you how many mm range the spec is.

I find it hard to believe however the trunk would stick up that much (first picture) and them claim to be in spec as that looks like it could rub. However, for the trim on the door not lining perfectly, I could see that being consider in spec as even a slight variation can be very obvious (may be the reason why they switched to black trim, which I guess makes things less noticeable when they don't line up).

For example, from a previous discussion, industry gap sizes for hood to fender average around 3-4mm, with a 2mm tolerance between the widest gap and narrowest gap. This means if the gap is not uniform it can be quite noticeable and still be "in spec".
Model 3 Frunk Fit tolerance

The OP for some reason included "other pictures from somewhere" and included a blurb about them not being theirs but "examples and mine are just as bad".

That makes those pictures irrelevant to the discussion at hand as they have nothing to do with this OPs car. The rest of the OPs post is fine, but that part is VERY VERY misleading, as multiple people in this thread have made the same mistake of thinking the that is the OPs car.

I am very close to locking this thread because of those pictures, but will think a bit more on it before I make a decision on that, but I find those pictures to be very misleading, when the OP could have easily posted pictures of the vehicle they rejected or not posted any pictures at all because those ARE NOT relevant.

EDIT: I will lock this thread then decide in the morning if I will re open it (yes, those misleading pictures are out of bounds in my book, while the rest of the post is fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.