Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla told me to cancel bank transaction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm one of those rare idiots that pre-ordered FSD for $5000 last year after taking delivery of my car. Now that the pre-order price is $2000 and with no refunds in sight from Tesla to "make me whole", I wanted to see if I could just cancel the pre-order. Here's what Tesla told me to do.

Thank You for contacting Tesla Service Support! I apologize for any inconvenience this delayed response has caused.
Unfortunately we do not refund Driver Assistance Features orders, the only way to cancel the purchase is to call your bank and cancel the transaction.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, you can also reach out Tesla Support at 877-798-3752​

So are they actually telling me to call up my credit card company to dispute the charge?

That is the standard response they send people that order that feature and then want to cancel like the next day. I don’t think they understood or paid attention to the fact that you were talking about something you bought a long time ago.

That is the standard response they send people that order that feature and then want to cancel like the next day. I don’t think they understood or paid attention to the fact that you were talking about something you bought a long time ago.

I'm sure there's a limited window on disputing charges. The fact is though that you were okay with ordering it then at that price and prices on things go up and down all the time. If it goes back up should they come after people that paid less and make them pay more? Anyway that's my rationale.

Reactions: Tz00
I'm sure there's a limited window on disputing charges. The fact is though that you were okay with ordering it then at that price and prices on things go up and down all the time. If it goes back up should they come after people that paid less and make them pay more? Anyway that's my rationale.

Fair enough and I agree, but since he hasn't actually received the thing he paid for as a pre-order, it wouldn't be unreasonable for Tesla to take that into consideration either.

Reactions: Vitold
Some credit cards have price protection and will refund the difference if the price goes down. It would be interesting to see if anyone purchased AP/EAP/FSD after the fact and used a credit card and tried to claim price drop protection from the card issuer.