TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Toolbox app for iOS and Apple Watch - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Dylan Diamond, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Dylan Diamond

Dylan Diamond Developer of Tesla Toolbox

I am pleased to announce the launch of Tesla Toolbox, a brand new app for Tesla!

Tesla Toolbox is a fully functional iOS based application that controls and monitors your Tesla Motors Model S and Model X vehicle.

Why Tesla Toolbox?

Tesla Toolbox is easy and intuitive to use. We have worked extensively with customers to ensure an enjoyable and informative user experience. The Tesla Toolbox far surpasses the ease of use and functionality of competing apps.

As of our launch, we are the only third-party app to feature a fully functioning Summon feature from both iPhone and Apple Watch. We are the only third party app to have a live stream of the Tesla car while driving. We are the fastest third party app to load and control your Tesla car. We also feature a unique new and improved Trips feature which allows you to create memories, view your power use and speed and analyze performance with ease.

Features:
    • Real time GPS tracking of your car while driving with live speedometer and power bar
    • Start car with Touch ID
    • Summon car with Touch ID (forward, reverse, stop)
    • Force touch quick actions for basic functions
    • Trigger Homelink to open your garage
    • Lock and unlock your car
    • Honk horn & Flash headlights
    • Open and close your Panoramic sunroof
    • Full climate control of both driver and passenger temperatures
    • View battery charge statistics
    • Change battery max charge
    • Start trips to view car stats
    • View full report in an intuitive to use graphing system
    Apple Watch Functionality:
    • Start and control the car directly from the Apple watch
    • View your Tesla in an easy to understand UI
    • Lock, unlock your car
    • Honk horn & Flash headlights
    • Control the car climate
    • Change max battery charge
    • Summon your car (reverse, forward, stop)
    • Start and Stop charging
    • Trigger home link to open garage
    • Panoramic Sunroof control (exact percentage)

Security Information:

This app only communicates with the Tesla Motors servers when handling user information and commands. No user information is stored by this app/company, other than locally on the device so that you don't have to sign in repeatedly. You are invited to monitor the app's outgoing network requests to verify your information is sent securely over SSL encryption to Tesla's servers, and that nothing is transmitted elsewhere.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Looks like a great app and I downloaded it. However, I have 2 Teslas (Model S and Model X) and there is no way to select between them. It does display the correct name of the Model X on the top, but I can't control it. Also, the app will not display any status information at the bottom of the screen, nor display the car's position.

3. JPP

JPP Active Member

Out of curiosity (...not meant to be critical, as I have not downloaded your app), what are the differences between your app and Alan's Remote S??

4. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

#4 PacManMX, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Wow! This is great! Really like the UI! Very intuitive and cool graphics to represent SOC and current charge limit! Thank you! Awesome that homelink works!

When logging a trip does it use the GPS of the phone or the car (I.e. can I log a trip when the phone isn't in the car)?

What are up/down arrows with front/mirrors on main action screen? They don't do anything on my MX. Edit: figured it out. For sunroof. Suggestion: if you detect an X, omit those buttons.

Suggest keeping summon "abort" on screen until summon stops by itself or until user dismisses dialogue.

5. Dylan Diamond

Perfectly reasonable question.

To start, Tesla Toolbox features a much more streamlined user interface which isn't compact and clunky, and there are no "hidden" gestures that the former app possesses. There also are quick actions for 3D Touch enabled devices, so that you can unlock/lock the car, flash the lights, and honk the horn right from your home screen. Other highlights are more intuitive indicators for charge levels and climate settings.

Functionality wise, Tesla Toolbox is the only third party app with working homelink and summon capabilities. Our Apple Watch app is built from the ground up optimized for Watch OS 2-3+, and isn't outdated as other apps are. Tesla Toolbox also has an entire trips section, where you can record car data and view detailed stats and graphs on speed and power usage. This helps you monitor performance and track a history of where you have traveled, as your route is clearly drawn out on a map.

Feel free to reach out with feature suggestions that you would like to see in future releases of the app.

6. Dylan Diamond

Thanks for the great feedback!

Trips are generated using the car's onboard GPS so you definitely don't have to be in the vehicle while it is moving.

The arrows are indicators for controlling the sunroof, so in the case of the Model X, that functionality obviously won't work since there isn't such thing. I can hide them in a future release as to avoid confusion.

Good idea to keep "Abort" visible throughout the summon process as it is a good safety feature.

7. wave1

wave1 Member

Dylan
    I'd like invoke the driver profile from app. Trying to get into a car that's setup for my 5'2" wife is tough for me at 6'2"

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Third party developers can only add functionality that is exposed via Tesla'a API. Unfortunately, Tesla does not expose controls for profile selection, which means none of these apps, including Tesla's own app, can offer this feature at this time.

• Informative x 1
  9. Petje

Petje New Member

Hi Dylan,

What about the metric system? Any plans on implementing that?

• Like x 1
  10. spentan

spentan Active Member

Just downloaded, but I can't figure out how to switch between cars.

I have 3 cars in one account, and 4 in another. Definitely gonna be useless to me until I can switch between cars. If there is any way to add another account (and have the username/password saved somehow within the keychain then that'd be awesome as well.

Another Pro to Remote S (though I own both) is that its free! Or is it Freemium?

11. Bladerunner

Bladerunner Member

Thanks, Dylan for your efforts!

Do you have any evidence/proof that no user information is shared with any third party?

What is your business model if you're providing the app for free?

I came across your app while looking for an app that can easily track my 90% over time and over kilometers driven. A nice display of this data combined with export capability would be a killer feature for me.

While we're at it: metric system is a must, can't do with miles and Fahrenheit, thanks!

/Bladerunner

12. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Nice job Dylan,

May I suggest adding a 3D Touch option to enable climate control? This would be very handy.

13. SoxFan2004

SoxFan2004 Member

This looks really great but what assurances can we have that our login info is secure?

Why is the app free? How do you plan on making money to compensate for the development time?

• Like x 1
  14. Dylan Diamond

As mentioned above, your login information is only sent to Tesla's remote servers via secure SSL channels. If you don't believe me, I invite you to use a proxy to track the HTTPS requests to have further confidence your information is not transmitted elsewhere. It is also stored locally on disk in a secure keychain to allow you to login automatically each time.

The app is free just for now to spread the word and so that people can see that it fully works, and then eventually it will cost a one time payment in the app store, however if you buy it now while it is free you will not have to pay.

15. Dylan Diamond

I can only have 4 3D Touch actions from the home screen, so which one would you like to remove to add climate? Maybe I could simply allow the user to pick 4 actions that they want to have there.

16. Dylan Diamond

This feature, along with supporting the metic system, is definitely coming in a near future update.

App is free for now, but will cost a fixed price at a later date once the word is spread more (it was only released last week...). If you have it now, you won't have to pay again.

• Like x 1
  17. Dylan Diamond

I think I explained your first two questions in previous posts just now.

The app can track your speed vs. time, along with power usage in kW over time with color intuitive graphs, so is that what you were referring to?

You can also see a map with a drawing of your route at exact positions.

• Like x 1
  18. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

#18 PacManMX, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Didn't even realize it had 3D Touch---Nice. Allowing to pick would be awesome!

On a side note, small bug: with Summon I get a "summon has aborted" error notification from the tesla app even when summon works successfully using your app.

19. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Is the Apple Watch portion of the app a standalone app or does it proxy requests through the iPhone app? I would pay for a standalone Apple Watch app and support for multiple vehicles.

20. Dylan Diamond

Apple Watch app is a standalone app, however since Apple Watches do not have their own network radio, it still needs to be in range of the iPhone or connected to the same wifi network in order to make requests.

Support for multiple vehicles is coming very soon.

• Like x 1