Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Tops Consumer Reports Owner Satisfaction Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has topped the Consumer Reports owner satisfaction report for the third year in a row.

The report scores vehicles using an average of all models, in Tesla’s case, the Model S and Model X.

The Top 10 ranking brands in the report:

Screen-Shot-2017-12-21-at-9.09.17-AM.png
“We collected data on more than half a million vehicles with our Annual Owner Satisfaction Survey,” according to Consumer Reports’ methodology. “The Owner Satisfaction Score, based on whether an owner says he or she would buy the same car again, measures whether a car lives up to expectations. Respondents also rate their cars in six categories: driving experience, comfort, value, styling, audio, and climate systems. Combined with CR’s ratings, our Owner Satisfaction Survey gives car buyers valuable guidance when they’re shopping for a vehicle.”

Tesla was the only all-electric automaker in the report.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: ModelX
I think this site has many whingers who nitpick if alignment is off by 1 mm or if they can hear someone breathing in their car....its funny that the vast majority of these whingers are located in the USA and many of them unsuprisingly seem to have issues with cars from other manufacturers. These sort of people are IMO impossible to please, their holding up tape measures to panel and zooming in 100 times to whicge about panel alignment which a normal person would not notice, I would REALLy hate to work with these american whingers. Mind you there haven't been many complaints by europeans and it is the same cars as sold in USA so it makes me wonder why there are so many whingers in america nitpicking at non issues and making it out to be a fundamental flaw with the car..

I would say Consumer Reports is reporting accurately.

They have the separate report for service reliability, which paints a very realistic picture even comparing to TMC etc. Model X was at the bottom of that survey, for obvious and warranted quality reasons, and Model S fared average.

That said, as this survey points out, owners are satisfied compared to the competing selection - or lack thereof. The large-battery BEV offering from Tesla is compelling, unique and superb - and that puts many other considerations rightfully aside.

Many may know me as critical of some actions of Tesla, and I've had my share of Model X quality issues (less so with Model S, again on the mark regarding surveys)... yet I really like my Model X and am happy with buying it.

There just isn't compelling, premium large-battery BEVs on the market at this time and we have Tesla to thank for them being available at all. That will always remain a merit of Tesla - ushering in this new era. Kudos to Tesla for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I agree! The battery size and the technology puts the Tesla Model S head and shoulders above other offerings in the price range. Not only are you saving the planet, but there's NO MAINTENANCE! I've had BMW's and Mercedes for the last 20 years and the cost of maintenance will bring tears to your eyes. The Tesla Model S has only 2 fluids...brake fluid and windshield washer fluid. The regenerative braking and the electric motor reducing speed when the accelerator is released, even the brakes will last 100k miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando