Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Total Loss - Looking at Options, everything murky, looking for guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts on Battery Value/Life for 2023 vs 2021/22.

Performance Model 3 2021 and onwards have the “82.1kWh” battery. Instead of 78kWh.

Be aware that AWD Model 3 for 2021 only switched over to the “82.1kWh” in April 2021 or so. No ambiguity for 2022/2023 models - all the same 82.1kWh.

There are threads here about how to determine which type.

It’s realistically only about a 2.5% difference but that is not nothing for exactly the same weight.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the change in the MCU to the AMD Ryzen platform in 2021. I do think there's a sweet spot of 2021/2022 models with USS and the updated MCU, but from my searching, the used market prices for 2021/2022 models hasnt dropped enough to justify buying one over a 2023 M3 if you qualify for the tax credit

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the change in the MCU to the AMD Ryzen platform in 2021. I do think there's a sweet spot of 2021/2022 models with USS and the updated MCU, but from my searching, the used market prices for 2021/2022 models hasnt dropped enough to justify buying one over a 2023 M3 if you qualify for the tax credit
Issue is in the Tech. They strip it so in the used inventory you can get it, but a New M3LR with the minimum tech of Enhanced Auto Pilot, which is all the tech we would need, you have to add 6k So you are at $58990. That same vehicle is 49K with the Enhanced Auto Pilot for a 2021 with under 20K. Why would they not include the tech to make the decision more easy for the purchaser.

Not willing to pay more money for a USS missing and no Radar, would hate to have this turn into one of those model purchases that never really works out.

I for one have to advice everyone now that the car we owned, or will own, is not the car they may or may not buy. They may or may not be able to do the things with their car that they assumed because they saw it in my car.

If you think that is confusing, I made it that way, because going to be a lot of upset customers when they take delivery of basically an expensive car with basic features.

How much did the insurance company give you for the total loss? The used prices on Teslas fell a lot. I guess that's both good and bad
in your case. Did the recent Tesla price reductions affect how much the insurance company offered?

We had a similar situation to yours and our 2022 Model Y got totaled in a crash in Mid-January. While the insurance company was supposed to go back 90 days, the comparables came back for cars in the last week or two. Also we lost our 3% financing and now had to pay 5.29% which will add thousands of dollars over the course of the next few years.

But to your questions - I wouldn't sweat the lack of radar. We drove our 2022 for nearly a year's worth of miles and it's really not a problem as the early forum posts make it out to be. We never noticed it. And by the time you get delivery in a month or so, they're likely to have put the new HD radar in it anyway. You might also get new front and rear styling refresh in a month.

- I would go test drive a new M3LR and see how you feel about the noise. Our 2022 was definitely quieter than our friend's model from a couple years back. And our 2023 is even better sealed than the 2022, though I don't think they made any changes Individual build quality still varies.

- The suspension is noticeably better in the 2023. Much less bumpy

- There were also interior changes like the charger and interior styling that are nice.

- The new chip in the infotainment/maps unit is much faster than the cars with the original version. Very noticeable.

- New heat pump, heated wiper area in 2021+ Model 3. Google to see its effect on range/etc.

You may have also consider that resale/insurance value for Enhanced Autopilot and FSD is nowhere near the $6k/$15k.
Consider what happens if you sell the car or if you get totaled again. You might consider the subscription. FSD Beta when it works is amazing. Though you might get a good deal on a used car with FSD.

Also consider the resale value of a 4 year newer car (fresh battery, lower miles) after the new credits.

We'll see about the ultrasonics. It's going to be the easiest thing to train in software as they have tons of data mapping the old ultrasonics to the camera views (except for the front where there's a blind spot.). They're probably just waiting on it to use the new FSD software stack. I did miss it a bit parking the garage but we have a hanging tennis ball from the ceiling to sense where to park.

That's it. Quieter cabin, better suspension, faster computer, heat pump, interior changes, new 12V battery, fresh battery. I hope that was helpful. If i were you, take a test drive, and put in a reservation for $250 NOW to guard against any price increases and see what pops out after investor day on March 1. Also, if you're in california, the Teslas now qualify for an additional $2k state rebate.