Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla Tourism" bill faces opposition in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think she's probably swayed by the lack of a sales, service, and delivery center at the Ontario Auto Center or something like that. The closest service center is probably Buena Park and the closest sales center is Brea... Both outside of her area.

Lastly, having grown up in her district, I would say that there was really nothing "tourist" worthy around it.

I will lobby family members who vote in her district to give her their 2 cents.

I'd consider emailing her, if those who wrote that their non-resident addresses got rejected would provide a more positive update.

I will point out, however, that her district includes Fontana, a place I know from personal experience hosts the nation's 3rd or so largest Ford dealership: it is from there that my F-350 came...albeit, ¡Ta Da! ... as an internet sale. California received no sales tax from that transaction, either....

My CPO was shipped from Freemont to Dallas and I paid $1500 shipping charges to get it shipped.

I suggested that I fly to CA and pick up my S and drive back here and use those shipping dollars instead towards a vacation trip to see the factory. My CPO advisor warned me that I will be paying taxes twice, once in CA and again in TX.

So ended up shipping

In following some of the articles on this and the one from San Jose Mercury News also mentions Senator Mike Morrell (R) of Rancho Cucamonga, and the Supercharger is located in his district.

I think we need to also send our correspondence to him.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. I am in Sen Morrell's district and just wrote to him on this matter. Among other things, I pointed out that communities like mine (in the San Bernardino Mountains) would certainly like to see more tourist spending.

Worse yet - the politicians had a drop dead trivial opportunity to create some tourism and sales tax dollars, from out of state visitors eating in restaurants, staying in hotels, seeing the sights, and visiting tourist attractions that they wouldn't otherwise have had access to. And they framed that as a tax break for the rich, which it would be more accurately framed as an opportunity to soak out-of-state rich people for some of their money and keep it in the California economy.

California politicians had an easy income stream from out of state to tap into, and they've walked away from it. (Heck - I'm one of those out of state income sources that California has helpfully said No Thanks to).

If they were my politicians, on any side of the aisle, I'd be asking them what kind of idiocy are they engaged in there!?! Easy money, the people that have the money want to spend it - why wouldn't the politicians take it!?!

My CPO was shipped from Freemont to Dallas and I paid $1500 shipping charges to get it shipped.

I suggested that I fly to CA and pick up my S and drive back here and use those shipping dollars instead towards a vacation trip to see the factory. My CPO advisor warned me that I will be paying taxes twice, once in CA and again in TX.

So ended up shipping
The "Shipping Charge" is the same wherever you pick up the car. I picked mine up at the factory and it had the same $1500 shipping charge.
This is apparently a federal law (bought and paid for by car dealers) to prevent competition between dealers.

I honestly don't understand the dealership opposition to this. One would think they would support it because they benefit from it as much as, if not more than Tesla does - it allows them to attract out-of-state buyers that would otherwise not consider it because of the tax implications. If someone has to pay CA sales tax to purchase from a CA dealer, they're likely to just go to a local dealer instead, avoiding the whole CA tax situation, costing the CA dealer a potential sale.

I rarely claim this, as there's almost always two sides to every discussion, but I honestly believe that anyone that opposes this proposed change to CA law simply does not understand it. The only possible result would be more money in the local CA economy.

I honestly don't understand the dealership opposition to this. One would think they would support it because they benefit from it as much as, if not more than Tesla does - it allows them to attract out-of-state buyers that would otherwise not consider it because of the tax implications. If someone has to pay CA sales tax to purchase from a CA dealer, they're likely to just go to a local dealer instead, avoiding the whole CA tax situation, costing the CA dealer a potential sale.

I rarely claim this, as there's almost always two sides to every discussion, but I honestly believe that anyone that opposes this proposed change to CA law simply does not understand it. The only possible result would be more money in the local CA economy.
The Federal law protects dealers from competition from other dealers. Free enterprise doesn't like competition. They're more comfortable with monopolies.
As far as the CA law goes, it's just stupid not to pass it since it would help CA dealers get business from out of state as well as Tesla.

So ended up shipping

I know this is an old post, but wanted to clarify. My understanding is that you woukd pay tax in CA, and since the rate is higher than TX, no additional taxes would be due in TX.

If the TX rate was higher, then you would only pay the incremental amount.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker