Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade in and upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a new S100D this afternoon. Traded in my S85D and was very happy with the trade in value and the discount offered on the S100D (it was a display car with 50 miles on it but some minor seat wear). The car was delivered to my home today and they took my S85D. The mobile app still shows my S85D and does not show my S100D. Any idea how long it takes Tesla to make the update? Also on my Tesla account the new car does not show as delivered yet. Maybe I just have to wait till the delivery driver turns in his paperwork?

Trade in was 55K, roughly 60% of purchase price. S100D original price was 114K. Car was discounted 15K for being a display car but I can say the car arrive and looked like no one had ever been in it. Other factors that convinced me to make the move - I get the another 7,500 tax credit and they are now expiring, I just moved and needed a new charging setup and can self refer for an award HPWC. Also avoid some routine expenses - specifically my car needed new tires and annual service. Lastly the S100D was being offered 1.74% financing for up to 84 months.

Reactions: Ormond and TapHabit
When you order a car built at the factory, Tesla has a lot of time to get your account set up, so things work pretty smoothly after delivery.

if you purchased a display car, it may take a few days for them to add the new car to your account. The biggest issue we had when our X 100D arrived in June was getting the XM radio working. We tried activating XM on the way home from our delivery appointment, and because Tesla hadn't notified XM the vehicle had been sold, we had to make a phone call to XM to activate the radio - and the call had to be escalated to someone who could override the vehicle's listing on the "dealer" vehicle list.

The trade-in stayed on our account for a few days - and then disappeared.

Patience... All should be well after a few days.

• Helpful
Reactions: RedSoxFan18
Just took delivery of a new S100D this afternoon. Traded in my S85D and was very happy with the trade in value and the discount offered on the S100D (it was a display car with 50 miles on it but some minor seat wear). The car was delivered to my home today and they took my S85D. The mobile app still shows my S85D and does not show my S100D. Any idea how long it takes Tesla to make the update? Also on my Tesla account the new car does not show as delivered yet. Maybe I just have to wait till the delivery driver turns in his paperwork?
I just traded my 85D in for a P100D as well, picked up last Tuesday and it took about 5 days for the old car to disappear from the app

• Helpful
Reactions: RedSoxFan18
I am in a similar situation. I have a S85D (3 years old, 30,000 miles) that I am about to trade-in or sell since I just ordered an X100D.

I haven't gotten the quote yet from Tesla on my trade. I placed the order and requested a trade-in quote 2 days ago.

I guess the trade-in would be easier, assuming the price is ok.