Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-in Better than competition 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those planning to trade-in a current vehicle (older Tesla or other), what was your experience with Teslas offers in 2023? For me personally Tesla initially offered 34-38k for a 2021 M3LR. However several other sites were surprisingly BELOW Tesla??? Carbuyerusa was 2nd at ~35k, but Cargurus, DriveWay, Carmax, Vroom, etc all came in around 27-30k. Would enjoy learning about others experience.

Everyone is offering well below wholesale to protect themselves from continued decline in values. Like was said above they have been burned (some more than others) and so they will look to add plenty of buffer to any deals they make now. Some may not even take Tesla if they have been unable to move the ones they have.

Upvote 0
Anybody getting long wait times for their trade in offer on new orders? Once I had my order in I had to finalize my trade in request with photos. It’s been about 5 days and still says pending.
Yup. I put my order in on 1/21 and submitted all the photos etc. Finally got my final trade in offer back from Tesla last night, so around 7 days for me. Luckily the final offer came in only around $100 or so short of the max range they gave.

Upvote 0
The only other one i submitted to was Carvana and there’s was actually about $8k less. I tried Carmax but they said i had to go to a local place to get it checked out in person but i didn’t end up going yet.
You got about $100 less than their max? Holy cow congrats. I would be over the moon at this point if I got so lucky. I also had similar experience to you in that carvana, carmax, driveway, cargurus, etc were all 5-8k less. Only carbuyerusa was close to teslas offer and they were at teslas low end.

Reactions: LuryeMI
Upvote 0
You got about $100 less than their max? Holy cow congrats. I would be over the moon at this point if I got so lucky. I also had similar experience to you in that carvana, carmax, driveway, cargurus, etc were all 5-8k less. Only carbuyerusa was close to teslas offer and they were at teslas low end.
Yeah, I’m wondering if part of it is that my model 3 is the silver color which they stopped making pretty early on. I’m sure the rarity of it helps the value.

Reactions: AJLanger5
Upvote 0
I was just messing around with a loan calculator earlier

Have some of you compared how much sales tax you'd pay to Tesla on the new vehicle if you trade-in to Tesla vs selling it separately?

Trading in my HR-V cuts the sales tax by about $1k or so (taxed on new car cost minus old car trade-in value). that means if the best offer outside of Tesla is close to only $1k more, it's easier to just trade in to Tesla so save on the headache.

Similarly, my HR-V is technically still not paid off. I found out that I still owed almost $2.5k, even though I thought it was closer to $500 or $1k (apparently my auto-pay stopped a while back, thank goodness it won't count as late until August!). So, that became negative value on my trade-in. So... pay $2.5k extra in the loan so that Tesla pays off the rest of my old loan.. or pay off the old loan and keep the new loan lower? I figure, middle of the road. They say not to completely pay off a loan because it could delay your trade-in as you wait for the title to get mailed to you. So, I paid off the $2k I thought would be paid if my auto-pay had continued and left $500 for the negative value. And since the new loan doesn't get as much tacked on, I won't end up paying as much in interest.

Maybe I should bring it down to just $1...?

Anyway, the point is... might be worth it to crunch some numbers.

Upvote 0