Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade in Calculator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone use the Tesla Trade In Calculator prior to making their order to see what Tesla would offer you for a trade in if you proceeded with an order. If so, a few questions:

1. If you made the order within 7 days of receiving the quote, how close was the final offer to what the original estimate was?
2. When they e-mail you the offer amount, they say Net Trade In Amount - do you know if in this amount they are including HST savings due to trade in. So for instance when they say the trade in net trade in amount is $20,000 is that the actual amount they are offering for your car or is it really $17,700 + $3000 in HST savings?
3. I can't remember the steps the last time I ordered a Tesla but can you still cancel your order after they lock-in your final trade in amount through the final order process or is it in refundable at that point?

Basically the trade in estimate they emailed me through the calculator is one I think is a good offer but I'm worried they're either going to lowball me after I actually make an order or they're being cute with the amount by including HST savings similar to how they sometimes show new car prices with potential gas savings. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who use the calculator.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
It worked perfectly for me. They gave me a fair price within an hour or so. When I placed the order I had to send some pictures including one of the screen with the odometer reading. Original offer was confirmed.

When delivery day came, I parked the car close to the new vehicle and we moved stuff between vehicles. The entire time I was there, no one even looked at it.

Tax is charged on the difference between the trade-in price and the new vehicle price. That will become clear when the order is confirmed.

The term net trade in amount may relate to a lease or loan. I had neither, which probably simplified things.

It worked perfectly for me. They gave me a fair price within an hour or so. When I placed the order I had to send some pictures including one of the screen with the odometer reading. Original offer was confirmed.

When delivery day came, I parked the car close to the new vehicle and we moved stuff between vehicles. The entire time I was there, no one even looked at it.

Tax is charged on the difference between the trade-in price and the new vehicle price. That will become clear when the order is confirmed.

The term net trade in amount may relate to a lease or loan. I had neither, which probably simplified things.

Thanks for the info. So that sounds good - so, for installation, if the car is $80K and they emailed you a trade in offer of $20K, when you placed the order they honored the $20K offer and the HST was paid on $60K.

When you placed the order, did it then recognize you had a trade in estimate? When I click on the trade in email Order Now button, when I configure the car it doesn't reference anything about a trade in offer and I thought it may say something like "your trade in offer will be applied once the order in placed"

my trade in is $25,600 in Oct 2021 but Model 3 est delivery date will be April 2022. Do you know if tesla will match $25,600 at the time of delivery day?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Tesla trade in values are terrible. I spoke to a Tesla rep and he forewarned me how low trade in values are. My 2019 M3 std+ with 25K KMs was valued for $29,600. I will be selling privately for sure!
I held out for top dollar but I could of sold it within days of posting the ads for mid to high forties EASY. The market is starved for used Tesla's.

Electrek also agree. DON"T TRADE IN YOUR TESLA MODEL 3 for $30,000

Last edited:
Hi there, I just submitted a trade in request for my 2021 Model 3 SR+ and my "net trade-in credit" is $33,800. I still owe 23k on the car, so are they valuing my car at $56,800, or are they valuing my car at $33,800?

It says "Your Trade-In credit is your trade-in value ($33,800) minus the estimated payoff amount you provided.

Hi there, I just submitted a trade in request for my 2021 Model 3 SR+ and my "net trade-in credit" is $33,800. I still owe 23k on the car, so are they valuing my car at $56,800, or are they valuing my car at $33,800?

It says "Your Trade-In credit is your trade-in value ($33,800) minus the estimated payoff amount you provided.
My gf gas a lease. I entered all the info with what was left with the lease number. So they substracted 2000$ ish what was left to pay from the original quote.

Look at the end of the email the *.

Here is an exemple :

Your Trade-In Estimate
Apply it to your Tesla order within the next 7 days.
2018 Volkswagen Golf
TSI SE Hatchback Sedan 4D
16,000 kms
Net trade-in credit*
$12,021
Estimate valid until
August 23, 2021

This estimate will be valid for 7 days as long as the trade-in vehicle is free of major cosmetic and mechanical issues, has no history of any accidents, is drivable, and the odometer reading does not increase by 1,600 km or more. For more information, request a call. If your vehicle has any non-standard options or packages not represented in this estimate, you will have the option to complete a self-inspection after placing an order.

*Your Trade-In credit is your trade-in value ($14,800) minus the estimated payoff amount you provided ($2,779).

Obviously, will ask dealers around how much they will give us for.

Tesla just doesn't offer full value on anything. Yet according to Elektrek arrticle they don't mind reselling used Tesla tens of thousands over MSRP.