Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in firms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The paperwork I got from Tesla not long after confirming my order says that they will take trade-ins "...through our multiple partners, including AutoNation."

I am going to email my DS to see who the other firms are, but she is slow to respond. Does anyone know if I can trade though CarMax?

For my Ford Fusion Hybrid, AutoNation quoted me (online) $17,500.

In person, here in Tucson, CarMax will pay me $19,000.

I used AutoNation for an Audi A5 convertible because their offer was within a few hundred of others and hassle free. The advantage is they will send the check directly to Tesla reducing the amount you pay tax on. I don't know if the others do that too. So get the best offer and do the math as far as tax.

Having done this recently, Carmax was not one of the outfits that Tesla deals with on trade-ins. The other groups seem to be private wholesale market/auction groups. One of these unnamed groups gave the best offer for my car versus Carmax or Autonation.

I think you will find that Tesla is now using a group of wholesale buyers that are providing very competitive bids. Basically they email your car's evaluation to all of their partners at the same time and the one that responds with the best bid is the one they provide to you. You may want to give Tesla a try on an ICE trade.

When I traded in my car to Tesla, I went to get a carmax quote first. Tesla actually asked that I provide them with a copy of the carmax quote, as most of their buyers will meet or beat the carmax quote. In my case, the carmax quote was actually more than I thought I would get for the vehicle, and Tesla was able to get a matching offer from one of their buyers, allowing me to get the sales tax benefit from the trade in.

AutoNation quoted me $24,500 for my 2007 Audi RS4. I later was contacted by Shift, which offered me a guaranteed price of $31,680, plus 50% of any amount in excess of that if the car is sold for more. Going with Shift. So far they seem great, although I'll know more tomorrow after I hand over the keys.

The paperwork I got from Tesla not long after confirming my order says that they will take trade-ins "...through our multiple partners, including AutoNation."

I am going to email my DS to see who the other firms are, but she is slow to respond. Does anyone know if I can trade though CarMax?

For my Ford Fusion Hybrid, AutoNation quoted me (online) $17,500.

In person, here in Tucson, CarMax will pay me $19,000.

I was able to sell the Fusion Hybrid (2013 22K miles) for $21,400 in a private sale.

AZ sales tax in Pima County is 5.6%, so I needed to sell for more than $20,056 (19K * 1.056) to break even after the sales tax considerations, so I ended up doing quite a bit better than I needed to!