Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade in : Last minute odometer request?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for advice from anyone who has taken delivery and traded in their old vehicle to Tesla. So here's my current situation:

• Submitted for trade in offer in June, vehicle had 13k miles on it. Tesla offer was for $66k (2020 Ford Raptor)
  • Got VIN 8/26. Resubmitted for trade in offer (since previous one expired & I removed it)
  • Mileage is now 16,500. Offer comes back at $62k. Photos still are from June submission, with odometer at 13k.
  • Today I receive a text asking for updated odometer photo.
My concern is that the 2nd offer was based on the odometer listed in the photo, not the odometer I typed into the proposal submission form. While I had other offers in the $65-68k range, I'm saving approx. $3400 in sales tax by trading in through Tesla. Regarding the other offers, the $68k offer is from Vroom and I really am not comfortable with them taking the vehicle away and then 2-3 days later getting a check. Not to mention, the fine print indicates they can reevaluate the vehicle after taking delivery of it.

Sent a message to my SA, who always gets back to me... but, well... I'm impatient. More than that, if I need to start shopping again for trade in offers I want to have a viable plan B should Tesla come back with an even lower offer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey - I just traded my car in late August (for a MY3SR+) my valuation went down by $300 because of extra 1k in mileage (36250 miles when I started vs 37018 when they came by)
- They did not ask for odometer pics/proof just the caveat the trade-in offer is good within 1000 miles
- I saved ~$2500 in trade-in tax, but everywhere (Vroom, Carvana, Carmax) offered higher values...not enough to offset trade in tax however

In your case, since there is a $4k difference between what Vroom is offering WITH the potential Tesla may lower their trade-in offer, I'd say go with Vroom (I've sold a car to them before and it was pretty smooth). You have a new-ish Raptor with 16k miles, it's not like it has rust/beat-up interior/issues that will significantly lower that value. The Model 3 forum users also love Carbuyerusa.com (google them) who offer better pricing so worth a check!

Side note - My wife loved my 2-week old M3SR+ so much, we placed an order of a MYLR (exact same as yours - white/white/20") on 9/1 and hopefully will get it in Jan...hope you love yours, we can't wait for ours!

The same thing happened on our trade-in. Updated mileage = lowered trade-in value. I said screw that and rang up the local carmax since I didn't wanna deal with a private sale. Carmax came back with a 5K higher offer (roughly equal to blue book) so we went with them A couple hours later at Carmax and they cut us a check and we were done.

Hi guys,
Can someone explain what’s trade in tax credit? I have 2019 Lexus EX 350 that I’m leasing, end of lease is in May 2022.
I ordered my MYLR 2 weeks ago and EDD right now Dec-Jan.
I was gonna buy out my lease and sell the car, but looks like there may be another better options, can somebody advise me on this. Thank you

Hi guys,
Can someone explain what’s trade in tax credit? I have 2019 Lexus EX 350 that I’m leasing, end of lease is in May 2022.
I ordered my MYLR 2 weeks ago and EDD right now Dec-Jan.
I was gonna buy out my lease and sell the car, but looks like there may be another better options, can somebody advise me on this. Thank you
Trade in tax credit is simply not paying tax for the amount of trade in. If your trade is $10k you don’t pay tax on that $10k. So if the Y is $65k you pay tax on $55k.

Just an update after taking delivery. The 6% PA sales tax credit I received on the trade in was for the full value of the trade in. Since my trade-in value was MORE than the price of the Tesla, I ended up receiving money back from Tesla. I thought I'd be getting a check from Tesla, but they simply rolled it into the new car transaction and my monthly payment went down by a few bucks.