Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade in offer for my Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD for my Model X Plaid is only in October but I wanted to get a quote on my trade in (2021 Model Y LR AWD, 24k miles) to see if they would be reasonable. I was told that they usually offer low $50k range for similar cars.. Got my trade in offer earlier today and they are offering over $59k for it.. My base price when I ordered was $50490 and $57k after options and sales tax.. I hope that there won't be a sudden drop in value before I'll take delivery of the Model X Plaid.. I'll try to not drive too many miles but that may be difficult..
At that offer, I won't consider selling it privately.. That offer is very fair.. Very surprised by it.. Hope that it holds.. Of course, value will be reduced as I add miles.. I understand that.
I keep my fingers crossed that I can take delivery of the MX Plaid well before October..

Reactions: jboy210
That's great to hear, thank you! I have a 2022 MYLR that my wife and I....dislike, thus our shift to the MX Plaid (also October). Surprised (happily) that Tesla offered so much, I think that is very reasonable especially after the trade-in tax credit (if that applies in your state). Thanks for sharing!

That's great to hear, thank you! I have a 2022 MYLR that my wife and I....dislike, thus our shift to the MX Plaid (also October). Surprised (happily) that Tesla offered so much, I think that is very reasonable especially after the trade-in tax credit (if that applies in your state). Thanks for sharing!
If you don't mind me asking, what do you dislike about the Y?

You are probably the 20th person whose post I have seen upgrading from a Y to a X. Looks like the Y is a gateway drug to the X.
It indeed is.. I used to be a NHRA licensed drag racer with a low 9 second Corvette.. Being able to run 9's with a daily driver on stock tires is insanity.. That's what I want.. The X is a better and faster Model Y..

I love my MY but I want even more power. 3rd row of seats with actual space for adults is also another reason .

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
It indeed is.. I used to be a NHRA licensed drag racer with a low 9 second Corvette.. Being able to run 9's with a daily driver on stock tires is insanity.. That's what I want.. The X is a better and faster Model Y..
I remember the drag racing days. We used to go to the Winter Nationals in Pomona in SoCal. Sorry to see the place close after 70 years. I also remember going to the Baylands Raceway drag strip close to where the Tesla Factory is now in Fremont. So amazing to see SUVs from the factory running 9 second quarters that would have blown away most of the competition at Baylands.

I remember the drag racing days. We used to go to the Winter Nationals in Pomona in SoCal. Sorry to see the place close after 70 years. I also remember going to the Baylands Raceway drag strip close to where the Tesla Factory is now in Fremont. So amazing to see SUVs from the factory running 9 second quarters that would have blown away most of the competition at Baylands.
I mostly drag raced from 2003 to 2008 and back then, it was unthinkable to have a vehicle that can go that fast and that you can drive it across the country without any changes to it...

This was my race car:

10 second run with a smaller engine

9 second run with a bigger engine

I haven't been to the drag strip since 2009..

If you don't mind me asking, what do you dislike about the Y?
Purely personal, it rides like a pile of bricks with wheels; the suspension is borderline-uncomfortable. No core issues around reliablity or fit & finish, it just feels like a bloated Model 3 with a noticeably-stiffer ride.
Wife & I take our Model 3 when we can, so can't wait to get the X to address the ride quality

Purely personal, it rides like a pile of bricks with wheels; the suspension is borderline-uncomfortable. No core issues around reliablity or fit & finish, it just feels like a bloated Model 3 with a noticeably-stiffer ride.
Wife & I take our Model 3 when we can, so can't wait to get the X to address the ride quality
Thanks. When my lease was coming up on my last X, I drove a Y and also found the suspension stiff and borderline harsh. I went home and ordered a replacement X. And now a year later I may be picking up the replacement X this week.

I do have the 19" Gemini wheels which have much better ride quality than the 20".. Which wheels do you have on the MY?

I don't have a Y... but I have to say that most of the visits to the Service Center have been with the MX. Mine is a 2016, so hopefully by now they have fixed the issues with the front and falcon doors. I also had the spline on the roof fly away. My wife only noticed it was missing when she went to a car wash and started to rain inside.

Another big one on the X is that it chews the rear tires particularly. I posted in another thread how my tires looked. Service Center charged me $266 to align it.
The X is even heavier than the S.

I just put 2 Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Run Flat in the rear of my X. I know you are not supposed to have different tires, but I could not pass on the deal Tire Rack had for the run flats. Problem is that they don't make the same exact tire for the front.

This is how the rear tire looked when I replace it.

View attachment 772910View attachment 772912

I had It aligned since then.
As for the trade in value of the MY, try Driveway,com. I'm in the process of selling them my M3. I got a few $k more than what I paid out the door for the M3.

Shoot, I traded my 2021 model 3 long range and got $59k trade and bought a 2017 model X 100D w 65k miles and FSD with 22” wheels and 6 seat configuration for $72k in like new condition about a month ago. Only thing it needs is the MCU upgrade which will give me 2 new displays. The large screen has that yellow border shadow. Loving it.

Shoot, I traded my 2021 model 3 long range and got $59k trade and bought a 2017 model X 100D w 65k miles and FSD with 22” wheels and 6 seat configuration for $72k in like new condition about a month ago. Only thing it needs is the MCU upgrade which will give me 2 new displays. The large screen has that yellow border shadow. Loving it.
The yellow border can be repaired without replacement by any Service Center.