Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is Tesla supposed to do. The used gasser market has tanked. They need to adjust to current market conditions or loose their shirts on every trade they take in.

I agree but we had finalized everything signed seal delivered and then out of the blue they say that they want to rethink their offer and give me another one 4 days out from delivery. Tell me that’s not messed up. The Entire process has been a mess.

Well I am in the same boat days before delivery they are having my trade in re-evaluated so I will
Find out the news probably tomorrow. I am hopeful but If’s it’s too low I will probably have pull out of the deal. Dilemma I could go forward and sell my car elsewhere? Not much experience doing that. Wish me good luck

Update on my situation. Tesla did re-evaluate my trade and it went down $515. I understand they need to do this, but what I did have a big problem with was that they did this a handful of days before delivery. Looks like the same thing happened to Texsae. I'm continuing after Tesla did respond saying they should have been clearer on their communication. I was given the initial trade value at the end of March. In late May Tesla started moving forward with the sale and send me all paperwork to sign on June 4th. At this point they should have re-evaluated the trade but they didn't. Since the paper work had my original value, I assumed they did the re-evaluation and I was good, then a couple days ago they announced they needed to re-evaluate the trade. This was incredibly poor business practice and horrible communication. I'm supposed to be speaking to delivery supervisors today, so we will see what they say. I do feel that I'm rewarding bad behavior but I will be tearing the supervisor I speak to a new one on this. Texans are getting a raw deal because our sales process is more complicated due to Tesla's inability to do direct sales here. Tesla should be the one making up this gap, not the customer. I'm getting a new batch of paperwork delivered today and I'm hoping I can still take delivery soon. I'm sorry to see that Texsae is dropping out but I fully understand his feeling and I'll will relay that to the supervisor I speak to. They will lose business if this continues. More to come on this saga.

Update on my situation. Tesla did re-evaluate my trade and it went down $515. I understand they need to do this, but what I did have a big problem with was that they did this a handful of days before delivery. Looks like the same thing happened to Texsae. I'm continuing after Tesla did respond saying they should have been clearer on their communication. I was given the initial trade value at the end of March. In late May Tesla started moving forward with the sale and send me all paperwork to sign on June 4th. At this point they should have re-evaluated the trade but they didn't. Since the paper work had my original value, I assumed they did the re-evaluation and I was good, then a couple days ago they announced they needed to re-evaluate the trade. This was incredibly poor business practice and horrible communication. I'm supposed to be speaking to delivery supervisors today, so we will see what they say. I do feel that I'm rewarding bad behavior but I will be tearing the supervisor I speak to a new one on this. Texans are getting a raw deal because our sales process is more complicated due to Tesla's inability to do direct sales here. Tesla should be the one making up this gap, not the customer. I'm getting a new batch of paperwork delivered today and I'm hoping I can still take delivery soon. I'm sorry to see that Texsae is dropping out but I fully understand his feeling and I'll will relay that to the supervisor I speak to. They will lose business if this continues. More to come on this saga.

@SparkyTX, if you don't mind me asking, what percentage was the $515? I'm in the same boat (March appraisal) and I'm just hoping it's only $515!

Mine dropped $2,000 four days from delivery. I drove all the way to The Woodlands showroom just so I could have a conversation with an actual human. I laid out my issues with the process and prefaced it with I’m not one to get so worked up about anything (which is true) but the whole process has been a massive mess with little to no communication and stressful. The salesperson I spoke, on multiple occasions, agreed that it was done improperly and they messed up. What is happening is they can pull whatever crap they want and people just take it. I will not give into there mess up at my expense because then they will never correct their own problems. I have given Tesla the opportunity to make things right and it appears they DO NOT CARE ANYTHING about you the customer but just another tick on their quarterly charts no given an ounce of care towards doing customers right. Honestly aside from having a garage full of MY accessories and a plug I had installed in preparation along with countless hours of reading and educating myself on the car the biggest and hardest pill to swallow was to tell my wife and 2 daughters who along with me have been busting at the seams with excitement that Tesla doesn’t care about us and put numbers over potentially life long customers. I wish others would hold fast to standing for and expecting good customer service and not just take it which in the long run would make Tesla a company known for not only great cars but great customer service.

I sent a tweet about this today but probably will go nowhere. You would think that a company that relies solely on their customers for advertising, they would be scanning these forums and youtube to engage with customers and keep up with what people are saying and experiencing. I guess they need to collectively sit with a bunch of cancellations before they notice.

Some of you need to take your cases to your state's Attorney General if Tesla is is suddenly changing their "good for 30 days" trade in offer just days before purchase. If the offer was made more than 30 days ago you don't have a case.
These trade in offers are also generated without inspecting the vehicle. I doubt Tesla is legally bound to honor them at any point prior to physically accepting the vehicle.

somewhere on these forums it was reported that Tesla actually revised trade in values down after the transaction was complete and was attempting to claw back some of the trade in value

Some of you need to take your cases to your state's Attorney General if Tesla is is suddenly changing their "good for 30 days" trade in offer just days before purchase. If the offer was made more than 30 days ago you don't have a case.
I signed a “final” MVPA with all the numbers on it and they threw that in the trash and aren’t honoring it. I have talked to counsel and we believe we have a case if they don’t make it right today. This BS has to stop.

Reactions: NY_Rob
My initial trade value was set back in late March, so it was well past the 30 day expiration when they sent me paperwork on June 4. I made the assumption that they were not changing it and then going through with the deal. Then on Monday they said they were redoing the trade value. So legally it was expired, but Tesla should have done something before sending me paperwork. I didn't bring it up as I didn't want them to say, oh you are right and then reassess the trade and drop the value. I too have dumped a ton of money in a charger, accessories and really don't want to pull the plug on this but I will be talking with Tesla and I will tell them I will continue to share this experience. I have put the ball in their court to make this right. We will see. I'm not holding my breath.

These trade in offers are also generated without inspecting the vehicle. I doubt Tesla is legally bound to honor them at any point prior to physically accepting the vehicle.

somewhere on these forums it was reported that Tesla actually revised trade in values down after the transaction was complete and was attempting to claw back some of the trade in value

I am worried that this would happen with my car. It's got plenty of rust and other dings, and its an 11-year old hybrid, so its HV battery is on weak side. I was thinking I will run into same issue when dropping car off for trade-in, so I photographed all the rust issues and contacted SA to make sure they are aware (and adjust trade-in value accordingly, so I at least know if I should bother). SA from Nevada called me back and we had a chat, where he pretty much was uninterested in anything I was trying to say. All he asked me if it can be driven, and didn't want to see any photos.

So after you mentioned that they attempted to get some money back after transaction was complete I am worried again.

My initial trade value was set back in late March, so it was well past the 30 day expiration when they sent me paperwork on June 4. I made the assumption that they were not changing it and then going through with the deal. Then on Monday they said they were redoing the trade value. So legally it was expired, but Tesla should have done something before sending me paperwork. I didn't bring it up as I didn't want them to say, oh you are right and then reassess the trade and drop the value. I too have dumped a ton of money in a charger, accessories and really don't want to pull the plug on this but I will be talking with Tesla and I will tell them I will continue to share this experience. I have put the ball in their court to make this right. We will see. I'm not holding my breath.
Sparky our stories are almost exactly the same who was your delivery person you worked with in Nevada? Maybe we can pin this down to an individual who has screwed all this up? As far as the 30 day offer business. When they sent the final MVPA with the numbers on it was their offer at that time that was signed by Tesla and us. That’s why it’s called a Motor Vehicle Purchase AGREEMENT! if either party disputes any line on it it would not be signed by either party. One party in the 11th hour can’t say never mind they want a new one that fits their needs and or wants. They messed up and they know it and should make things right. I really hope you take a stand and don’t cave. Tesla needs to be held accountable.

I had a 2005 Cadillac STS...original owner. Tesla offered me $1,600. Caravana offered $1,500 less $1,000 adjustment for a glorious $500.

Had it detailed and sold to the person I sold my business to for $3,500. Of course I had to take back a $2,000 8 month note. I know where he works, and I have the second set of keys until it's paid off.