Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sparky our stories are almost exactly the same who was your delivery person you worked with in Nevada? Maybe we can pin this down to an individual who has screwed all this up? As far as the 30 day offer business. When they sent the final MVPA with the numbers on it was their offer at that time that was signed by Tesla and us. That’s why it’s called a Motor Vehicle Purchase AGREEMENT! if either party disputes any line on it it would not be signed by either party. One party in the 11th hour can’t say never mind they want a new one that fits their needs and or wants. They messed up and they know it and should make things right. I really hope you take a stand and don’t cave. Tesla needs to be held accountable.
You must also acknowledge that your trade has no serious defects or something to that effect, at trade time that leaves them the option to reevaluate your trade. It’s not like you are forced to take their car either. There are 2 sides to every argument, you always can back out as can Tesla.

Sparky our stories are almost exactly the same who was your delivery person you worked with in Nevada? Maybe we can pin this down to an individual who has screwed all this up? As far as the 30 day offer business. When they sent the final MVPA with the numbers on it was their offer at that time that was signed by Tesla and us. That’s why it’s called a Motor Vehicle Purchase AGREEMENT! if either party disputes any line on it it would not be signed by either party. One party in the 11th hour can’t say never mind they want a new one that fits their needs and or wants. They messed up and they know it and should make things right. I really hope you take a stand and don’t cave. Tesla needs to be held accountable.

Initially it was Parisblue and then Cory for the folks that weren't local as far as I can tell. You are right and that is what I will be telling the supervisor I'm going to be talking to today. Cory is the person that sprung the new trade assessment and the person I'm dealing with currently. He said a supervisor would call me today. I will update you on what happens. I'm going to push them to make this right somehow.

Initially it was Parisblue and then Cory for the folks that weren't local as far as I can tell. You are right and that is what I will be telling the supervisor I'm going to be talking to today. Cory is the person that sprung the new trade assessment and the person I'm dealing with currently. He said a supervisor would call me today. I will update you on what happens. I'm going to push them to make this right somehow.
Pairsblue is my contact too. I think we have found the main problem. On top of screwing the whole process up she does not answer calls, emails, and text or acknowledges receipt of large checks until many days after of asking Over and over again. Please let us know what you encounter. I have yet to speak to anyone after I sent a mass email to anyone I thought would care and or listen. Tesla is showing its true colors....

My initial trade value was set back in late March, so it was well past the 30 day expiration when they sent me paperwork on June 4. I made the assumption that they were not changing it and then going through with the deal. Then on Monday they said they were redoing the trade value. So legally it was expired, but Tesla should have done something before sending me paperwork. I didn't bring it up as I didn't want them to say, oh you are right and then reassess the trade and drop the value. I too have dumped a ton of money in a charger, accessories and really don't want to pull the plug on this but I will be talking with Tesla and I will tell them I will continue to share this experience. I have put the ball in their court to make this right. We will see. I'm not holding my breath.
Isn't it up to the consumer, when in possession of a trade-in quote GOOD FOR 30 DAYS, to do due diligence and have the trade-in re-evaluated if the sale is outside that 30 days?

Isn't it up to the consumer, when in possession of a trade-in quote GOOD FOR 30 DAYS, to do due diligence and have the trade-in re-evaluated if the sale is outside that 30 days?

Don't defend Tesla on this one. The guy had a signed MVPA and already paid his balance in full, and then they decided they wanted to re-evaluate his trade. If I go to the grocery store and complete a transaction for an apple, but get stopped on the way out the door and they tell me they just checked market price on apples and I owe them another 35 cents, I'm not paying them.

Tesla screwed up here, it's on them to not agree on a sale they didn't want to make.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Don't defend Tesla on this one. The guy had a signed MVPA and already paid his balance in full, and then they decided they wanted to re-evaluate his trade. If I go to the grocery store and complete a transaction for an apple, but get stopped on the way out the door and they tell me they just checked market price on apples and I owe them another 35 cents, I'm not paying them.

Tesla screwed up here, it's on them to not agree on a sale they didn't want to make.
I'm not defending Tesla, but rather pointing out that when you get a trade-in quote from Tesla, they always expire after 30 days and it is clearly stated in plain language.

Now, in this case you're right - there was a subsequent signed and paid-in-full MVPA, which is the final contract. Complicating things is the way Texas does things (er, how Tesla must do business in Texas due to arcane dealer-protection laws) where Texans must pay in full before the car is in the buyer's possession. I agree in this particular case that the poster has a valid claim for breach of contract.

For the others here that complain about Tesla not honoring the quotes after 30 days, I'm not so sympathetic, unless they have an executed MVPA with the trade-in amount as a line-item. I doubt that's the case for most.
When I first put my MY order in around the beginning of February, I got a trade in quote for our '15 MS 70D. Of course, then the COVID-19 pandemic pretty much stalled production starting in mid-March. So I knew that my trade in quote from February had expired. In late April, in anticipation of the factory re-opening, I once again asked for a trade-in quote, which was within $500 of the first offer but expired in 30 days (by late May).

I then sold the MS on eBay in early June for more than what Tesla had last quoted. Why? Because I expected any new quote to be markedly lower than the February and April quotes. I knew it was on me to either sell it privately or get another trade-in quote within 30 days of getting the MY. I'm not sure why people assume that a document that clearly expires in x days isn't honored and are upset by that fact.

Reactions: outdoors

I have a signed MVPA and a paid in full invoice. Hoping this doesn’t happen to me. Delivery Saturday.

Right, I'm specifically talking about the two Texans here who had MVPA's signed and payments already sent and then Tesla pulled the rug out from under them. There's no excuse for that.

My trade was lowered by 10% after covid, but I didn't have a signed contract and I expected it to drop. So i'll be selling to Carmax who actually offered me 5% MORE than more original Tesla offer.

I'm not defending Tesla, but rather pointing out that when you get a trade-in quote from Tesla, they always expire after 30 days and it is clearly stated in plain language.

Now, in this case you're right - there was a subsequent signed and paid-in-full MVPA, which is the final contract. Complicating things is the way Texas does things (er, how Tesla must do business in Texas due to arcane dealer-protection laws) where Texans must pay in full before the car is in the buyer's possession. I agree in this particular case that the poster has a valid claim for breach of contract.

For the others here that complain about Tesla not honoring the quotes after 30 days, I'm not so sympathetic, unless they have an executed MVPA with the trade-in amount as a line-item. I doubt that's the case for most.
When I first put my MY order in around the beginning of February, I got a trade in quote for our '15 MS 70D. Of course, then the COVID-19 pandemic pretty much stalled production starting in mid-March. So I knew that my trade in quote from February had expired. In late April, in anticipation of the factory re-opening, I once again asked for a trade-in quote, which was within $500 of the first offer but expired in 30 days (by late May).

I then sold the MS on eBay in early June for more than what Tesla had last quoted. Why? Because I expected any new quote to be markedly lower than the February and April quotes. I knew it was on me to either sell it privately or get another trade-in quote within 30 days of getting the MY. I'm not sure why people assume that a document that clearly expires in x days isn't honored and are upset by that fact.
I’m glad you see what happened to at least 3 of us here in Texas who worked with the same individual in Nevada. We signed as well as Tesla signed a FINAL MVPA with the state fed trade in and then in the 11th hour or 4 days before delivery they reevaluate what they sent two weeks ago. It’s a binding legal agreement they works both ways. I couldn’t at the last minute tell Tesla I don’t think your car is valued as much as you say so I want to redo the MVPA to Benifits me. I can guarantee that if the used market for whatever reason shot up and values jumped in my favor from their last offer I couldn’t say “excuse me Tesla let’s reevaluate our terms to benefit me” as I see the market has changed since we last agreed. Enough is enough and we as customers need to hold on ground and hold Tesla to treating us as a loyal customer not a number to their bean counters.

I had an offer for $7500 on my 2013 BMW 5 series. Expired and didn't even bother seeing their updated trade in offer (The car was only drive 2,000 more miles). Put it on Facebook marketplace and sold it for $2,000 more by the next day. The only problem is I need a ride home from work today... scheduled my pickup for next Tuesday but told them I could get it on Friday but they haven't gotten back to me.

I can guarantee that if the used market for whatever reason shot up and values jumped in my favor from their last offer I couldn’t say “excuse me Tesla let’s reevaluate our terms to benefit me” as I see the market has changed since we last agreed.

Well you sort of can; you can reject delivery of the vehicle, cancel your order, and place a new order.

Reactions: outdoors
Does Tesla still match the Carmax appraisal offer? i saw different answers, could someone clarify with their recent experience?

In addition, Tesla says its trade-in offer is good for 30 days. But if my MY is delivered outside that time window , will they still honor their trade-in offer?

So I had my '18 BMW X3 appraised back in March before corona and they offered me about $28k. At least $3-4 less than I had hoped for but tax savings and convenience blah blah blah. Well after corona and now that I'm about to take delivery, they did a reappraisal of it and they now are offering about $22k. It's very bad. Immediately rejected the offer and will be attempting to sell it through Carvana or a local BMW dealership since it is certified.

Anyone have experience with Carvana and their process? I did a quote online through them and it was exceptional, but not ready to take it in person since I don't have a delivery date. Curious if they offer huge quotes only to knock it down when they see the car in person. I was honest while filling it out and said it needed new tires, but the rest of the car is clean.

Also try Carmax. I had no experience with Carvana. But I sold my car to Carmax at a price 16% higher than Tesla's offer. The process is fairly straight. They took a "touch-free" evaluation and gave you an appraisal letter. If you decide to take it, you bring the appraisal with title docs. to their business office to finish the transaction. Over there, they may further take a test drive. In my case, it didn't change the final price.

So I had my '18 BMW X3 appraised back in March before corona and they offered me about $28k. At least $3-4 less than I had hoped for but tax savings and convenience blah blah blah. Well after corona and now that I'm about to take delivery, they did a reappraisal of it and they now are offering about $22k. It's very bad. Immediately rejected the offer and will be attempting to sell it through Carvana or a local BMW dealership since it is certified.

Anyone have experience with Carvana and their process? I did a quote online through them and it was exceptional, but not ready to take it in person since I don't have a delivery date. Curious if they offer huge quotes only to knock it down when they see the car in person. I was honest while filling it out and said it needed new tires, but the rest of the car is clean.

Also try Carmax. I had no experience with Carvana. But I sold my car to Carmax at a price 16% higher than Tesla's offer. The process is fairly straight. They took a "touch-free" evaluation and gave you an appraisal letter. If you decide to take it, you bring the appraisal with title docs. to their business office to finish the transaction. Over there, they may further take a test drive. In my case, it didn't change the final price.

I attempted to do Carmax back in March as well, but after going there for an appointment, they talked me out of getting it appraised then because the used car market had tanked and I wasn't about to take delivery anytime soon. They said to come back. When you said you did a touch free evaluation, did you still have to take it in and get reviewed or did you get an initial quote and then took it in for inspection? I'd like to get an initial quote and if it's good enough, then go in, like Carvana did online, but I can't find that on Carmax, or maybe it's something I new I should find with them.