Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-in Value 2022 M3 AWD LR (Uptrade Possible?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I have a Model Y on order and currently have a 2022 Model 3 LR with 19” wheels, with 720 miles on it (Purchased July of this year). I was considering trading the car into Tesla for the MY, and just got my offer…. $38,300. The car is in brand new condition - not a single scratch - I barely drive it. I understand that the market has gone lower (along with everything else) but to lose over 30% in 4 months seems ridiculous.

Now considering not taking delivery of the Model Y. There are rumors that there will be a price cut and I have no interest in losing more money.

Anyone else running into this?
Time for a Rivian, me thinks.

Hey guys,

I have a Model Y on order and currently have a 2022 Model 3 LR with 19” wheels, with 720 miles on it (Purchased July of this year). I was considering trading the car into Tesla for the MY, and just got my offer…. $38,300. The car is in brand new condition - not a single scratch - I barely drive it. I understand that the market has gone lower (along with everything else) but to lose over 30% in 4 months seems ridiculous.

Now considering not taking delivery of the Model Y. There are rumors that there will be a price cut and I have no interest in losing more money.

@Dsnyc84 If you think your M3LR is worth more than that, sell it to someone else. You don't need to trade it back to Tesla right?

Or if used prices are really that soft now, would a lightly used Y make more sense than a brand new one? You should spend less selling and buying used, in a normal car market, than selling used while buying new.

As I understand it the recent used car craziness is pretty much over. Nobody is paying new or higher prices for lightly used Teslas anymore, or for most other mass produced cars. I agree that offer still seems on the low side, I bet you can get more elsewhere, certainly from a private party. But you will still lose a decent chunk of change compared to what you paid, especially factoring in sales tax if applicable.

Hey guys,

This should be the expectation (that selling a BRAND NEW car you just bought would be a large loss of money). Things are returning to "normal" and "normal" is losing either X,XXX or XX,XXX trying to sell a brand new car with 720 miles you just bought.

Reactions: tm1v2
Tesla is notorious for low-balling trades.

And sometimes charging more for used vehicles than they would have sold for new:
Here they're asking $73200 for a car that is effectively two years old (it's an early 2021 by the VIN) and has 11K miles on it, and would have sold for about $71990 new. Should be about $50K to $55K.

Tesla is notorious for low-balling trades.

And sometimes charging more for used vehicles than they would have sold for new:
Here they're asking $73200 for a car that is effectively two years old (it's an early 2021 by the VIN) and has 11K miles on it, and would have sold for about $71990 new. Should be about $50K to $55K.

It also includes FSD.

Hey guys,

Yeah I checked our similar spec 22LR 19" wheel 3 and it’s about the same, people think their 2019’s are worth more than that used but the prices are returning to reality. Used cars loose at least $10k as soon as it’s registered. Even Tesla is discounting brand new 2022 and a few 2023 showroom inventory LR 3’s $3,000-$4,000 now if you search. The Y’s are holding up better but will soon be in the same boat. People were spoiled with totally unrealistic trade values for a while. Tesla also throws in FSD on almost all used Y’s and depending on the timing also 3’s as well as an extra year of warranty to generate interest without discounting as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2