Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade In Value Is Bizarre, What Is Our 2016 S P100D Worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its seems like the some Tesla owners feel their cars are immune from depreciation, at one point that may have been the case just like any other hot in demand car. Just like any highly optioned luxury car the "P" cars are going to take it in the shorts the first year or two.
Part of the problem with the P series is that no one knows the difference between a non-P and P model.. short of the little badge in the back.
I have always felt the P series should have different wheels, bumpers, and have certain specific options which would set it apart from the run of the mill model S.

Reactions: Vitaman
By buying his car as a trade in, they make the difference between the trade in value and the new Model X price plus the difference between the trade in value and what they can sell it for. That's still probably less than selling a new car straight up but it's probably not that far off. For example, if he trades in for an equivalent Model X, Tesla makes $152-$117=$35k. Say they sell the P100D for $127k (no CPO P100Ds currently available but that's about what previous ones have sold for), netting them $10k, for a total of $45k. Assuming a 30% margin on a $150k car, that's close to the $50k they'd make on just a new car. Obviously, I'm guessing at these. numbers but it doesn't feel way off. They also get the benefit of counting a new car as sold.
What you are describing is a common technique that dealers car dealers employ with trade-in values - they value the trade-in at higher than market value so the customer feels good about the deal, but they make it up on the profit from the new car (say they give you $5K more on your trade-in, had you not had a trade-in you would have been able to get $5K off). The true value test is ask for a trade-in cash value, i.e. you want to sell your trade-in car to a dealer without buying a new one.

I think those early news reports about Tesla is holding significantly higher residual value make people think that is still the case today and the fact that Tesla uses to guarantee resale value make people think their Tesla is worth much more than what's market value is today. With the constant upgrade and more standard features included in the base price there is no way current owners can use historical trade in value for today's market.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
I think those early news reports about Tesla is holding significantly higher residual value make people think that is still the case today and the fact that Tesla uses to guarantee resale value make people think their Tesla is worth much more than what's market value is today. With the constant upgrade and more standard features included in the base price there is no way current owners can use historical trade in value for today's market.

Telsa's are like the most expensive google phone ever made, with every update the old models are worthless
Talk to people in the used car business, they run from Teslas.. there is no rhyme or reason to pricing... bottom line is used Teslas are tough to sell.. you will take a hit, no worse than a Mercedes S class or 7 series. People that think a Tesla is something special need to stop hitting the medical marijuana shops... its a car.. you lose your ass on it, get over it.

Reactions: caltechkid