Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla trade-in values decreasing :( Nov/Dec 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow. that is pretty low mileage! if i had your car, my mileage would be up even higher! at the time of Model 3 dual motor purchase, my infiniti was only 1 year old so i had difficulty justifying spending an extra 5-8k at the time for the performance model. thank you for that info.

by waiting, you'll get to maybe take advantage of the FSD software. of course, the time i'm trading in the vehicle, the FSD gets better. There's no way I'm getting FSD on the model Y. a waste of 7-8k. i hope your trade in value goes up!
My annual mileage dropped sharply during the pandemic, and now that I still WFH 4 days a week it's still pretty low. I do have the FSD beta active on my car, so I figure that by the time I'm ready to trade in (another year?) I'll have my fill of "testing" FSD.

Of course tax doesn’t play a role in trade in/list price. You questioned the prices we paid and we answered them.

Do you feel the need to get the last word? (Bonus points to you if you just reply “yes”) :)
If your playing along he Said After Tax! So my point stands. I also feel confident in 2017 you didn’t pay 62k for a model 3 List Pre Tax

I finally put my trade in info (2018 Model 3 tesla dual motor with fsd) due to my impending model Y delivery, and the trade in value that i got back in 24 hours was sobering. just above $28k for a 58k mile.

At first, i thought tesla was lowballing me or i was too "harsh/honest" about my cars condition, so i went to carmax (also similar value after in-person appaisal), and also vroom gave me similar numbers.

KBB's range is 31k-35k, but KBB really means nothing since it's not a real offer to buy the car........

the only thing working in my favor is that trading into tesla also reduces the amount of tax i have to pay on the car.

i haven't selected "accept offer" yet...... but it may come to that.....

anyone else have really reduced numbers than expected recently?
I just sold my 2018 3 LR RWD with FSD and 74500 miles for $32400. Tesla offered me $21.5k. Carvana was $19k. Total joke. You can't buy a similar car around here for less than $36k from a dealer and that is without FSD. I got what I was asking within six hours of advertising it at work. Definitely don't trade it in unless you really hate selling a car. Go to autotrader.com and find out the least expensive comparable Model 3 is in your area and price your's a few thousand less. It will sell quickly.

I'll add that my car had a $10k repair thanks to a rear quarter panel replacement when I got bumped at a stop sign.

If your playing along he Said After Tax! So my point stands. I also feel confident in 2017 you didn’t pay 62k for a model 3 List Pre Tax
Here, you can crow about being "right". This is my actual bill of sale and in fact my pre-tax price was "only" $61,500. So you're right, I didn't pay $62,000 for a Model 3.

The bottom line is that you are clearly having a faulty memory about what these cars cost at the time. They were very expensive because there was literally nothing else like them other than a different model Tesla that cost 10's of thousands more.

As I said, prices started dropping quickly at the end of 2018 and into 2019.

When you factor in tax incentives, my car was about $49,000 and I sold it for $36,750. It was four years old so I didn't do too bad although it's worth pointing out that I spent thousands on accessories/upgrades for mine that went to the new buyer and didn't factor much into the sale price.

IMG_58382270859E-1_scrubbed.png

Reactions: SWIPE and VT_EE
It was four years old so I didn't do too bad although it's worth pointing out that I spent thousands on accessories/upgrades for mine that went to the new buyer and didn't factor much into the sale price.
I hear/feel you about the accessories. I did 9k or so in bumper to bumper ppf and ceramic tint everywhere, including the expansive roof. At the time, not many places had worked on teslas.

Only private party would care about the accessories. For me, the time it takes to get the car detailed /pics taken, and then time to meet with potential buyers, etc…. I would rather spend time with family /friends. Maybe I could see what kbb offers from local dealers?

I have a 2021 MYP with 12k miles. I was in an auto accident 5 months ago and the body shop repairs were delayed due to parts shortages so I took delivery of a new 2022 MYP rather than pay exorbitant rental car rates. The repairs on my 2021 are now complete and I'm ready to sell it. The highest offer for it in August was 60k by Vroom. That offer is now down to 38k. I disclosed the accident in both trade in requests. I think car companies like Carmax, Vroom, etc. overpaid for Teslas when gas prices were sky high and now they can't sell the ones that they have so they're in no position to give a reasonable trade in offer on any additional Teslas.

Last edited:
I have a 2021 MYP with 12k miles. I was in an auto accident 5 months ago and the body shop repairs were delayed due to parts shortages so I took delivery of a new 2022 MYP rather than pay exorbitant rental car rates. The repairs on my 2021 are now complete and I'm ready to sell it. The highest offer for it in August was 60k by Vroom. That offer is now down to 38k. I disclosed the accident in both trade in requests. I think car companies like Carmax, Vroom, etc. overpaid for Teslas when gas prices were sky high and now that can't sell the ones that they have so they're in no position to give a reasonable trade in offer on any additional Teslas.
They are scared as hell of the economy as well Carvana May see bankruptcy if their stock keeps imploding

Reactions: Yelobird and ord3r
I have a 2021 MYP with 12k miles. I was in an auto accident 5 months ago and the body shop repairs were delayed due to parts shortages so I took delivery of a new 2022 MYP rather than pay exorbitant rental car rates. The repairs on my 2021 are now complete and I'm ready to sell it. The highest offer for it in August was 60k by Vroom. That offer is now down to 38k. I disclosed the accident in both trade in requests. I think car companies like Carmax, Vroom, etc. overpaid for Teslas when gas prices were sky high and now they can't sell the ones that they have so they're in no position to give a reasonable trade in offer on any additional Teslas.
Sorry having trouble with the math or the story. You had an accident 5 months ago (IE August). So you got a 60k offer on a damaged car with a promise to fix it or an estimate Before the accident? 38k for a collision car does seem fair. Many wouldn’t consider that as a buying option.

Sorry having trouble with the math or the story. You had an accident 5 months ago (IE August). So you got a 60k offer on a damaged car with a promise to fix it or an estimate Before the accident? 38k for a collision car does seem fair. Many wouldn’t consider that as a buying option.
$38k is a terrible price for a 1 year old MYP with only 12k miles, even with an accident. This is based on what I just sold my 4-year old M3 RWD for. He/she will make a ton more with a private sale. Trade-ins right now are worthless.

Reactions: navguy12
Trades are all well below wholesale values now. Car dealers are doing that to protect themselves against future loss in value.

You haven't taken a loss until you sell it and now is not a good time to sell.

Now is not a good time to sell if you believe that the resale on Teslas have hit bottom.

Resale value on Teslas has probably not hit bottom based on how much used inventory there is.

Also, check into Carvana stock price. They bought a lot of Tesla (and other used car) inventory during the peak.