Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade-in values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how on earth Tesla arrive at the value for a trade-in vehicle?
I got a valuation from them about a month or so ago for my 2018 VW Golf R, which at around £23k I thought was pretty reasonable. I'd indicated my interest was the Model 3.
A few days ago, I asked for a new valuation, this time against a Model S. The result? £15.7K!! To say that's a bloody insult is putting it mildly. Not amused.

Tim.

It’s not a good time to be trying to sell your car. I too would be very interested in what WBAC offer you.

Last year when I bought my Model 3 Tesla’s trade in for my car was about £1k less than WBAC.

Tesla have in the past honoured quotes even though car deliveries were delayed. By the time we got our car, our Tesla trade in quote was almost 6 months old and the car had just rolled into needing a service (sods law a week before collection), yet Tesla still honoured it. So even though WBAC initially came in higher, by the time of collection, WBAC was lower (even before they had kicked the tyres), we didn't need to get the car serviced and it was an easy trade in on collection day - drive there in old, drive away in new, so no transport costs/inconvenience etc to get to collection. Now, not an expensive car that we were trading, so differences only came in at £2-300, but it may be more considerable on a more expensive car.

Hi. I rated your post like Funny, because I passed the same situation with my Honda Civic Typer R (2018), one year ago. The value was very low.
Talking with "someone " tell me Tesla isn't interested in used car....
Try to sell privately..
Even this days is not so easy.... but you can try.

Good Luck!

I think the problem at the moment isn't so much whether people have the money or not, it's whether they think they will have the money in the future / can they get by with what they've got, etc. That, and the people who do call up bidding you in the balls because they'll assume you're desperate / because the virus means everything is worth £1 / "I'm doing you a favour mate", etc.

Anyone know how on earth Tesla arrive at the value for a trade-in vehicle?
I got a valuation from them about a month or so ago for my 2018 VW Golf R, which at around £23k I thought was pretty reasonable. I'd indicated my interest was the Model 3.
A few days ago, I asked for a new valuation, this time against a Model S. The result? £15.7K!! To say that's a bloody insult is putting it mildly. Not amused.

Tim.

You might have missed the news, the last months or so something rather big has been happening around the world!!

Spending money on luxury items like a Tesla or any car isn't going to be on anyones priority list anytime soon.

If you have cash, waiting for a few more weeks and you will be able to get some massive discounts on all cars (Tesla included).

Will we see a drop in prices for new or old Tesla's?
Personally I don’t think Teslas will be discounted. Unlike other manufacturers they don’t carry huge inventories, and only have one car factory to worry about. They also don’t have a network of franchised dealers depending on them. Demand for Tesla’s cars has always outstripped supply, and I think that will continue.

Reactions: Adopado and j1mgg
You might have missed the news, the last months or so something rather big has been happening around the world!!

Spending money on luxury items like a Tesla or any car isn't going to be on anyones priority list anytime soon.

If you have cash, waiting for a few more weeks and you will be able to get some massive discounts on all cars (Tesla included).
You bloody bastard... just after your other posts convinced me to go cash instead of PCP now you're saying I should've waited instead of dropping 60k on the car in March. You'll pay for this! :p

Covid is slowing down most all commerce. Prices of used cars, gasoline, diesel, etc are all under pressure.

With so many governments issuing new regulations for gas/diesel vehicles, and so many people wanting to step up to cleaner and more powerful electric cars, the prices of most ICE cars are going to be under pressure as well.

Many city inner circles are either banning ICE vehicles or charging them to enter the downtowns. ICE owners need to leave their cars at one of the outter ring roads and take busses/trains into the city centers. Some governments have already given notice that in the near future they will ban the production of gassers all together.

On a happier note, many of those governments are instituting rebates and tax credits for buyers of certain EVs.

As an example, when I purchased my X in California I was given a Federal Tax Credit, A State rebate, a Utility rebate and a 30% credit for installing my garage charging system. Also it was eligible for a 100% write off for my business with accelerated depreciation schedules.

The World is changing, and it is predicted that EVs will become more in demand and valuable and gassers will depreciate much faster as the pressures increase.

Right now, the lower prices of Gas/Diesel are making buying a new gasser appealing, but when the prices go back up again those gassers prices will drop like a rock.

In the US, people are still buying giant travel RVs that get only 8MPG. When gas prices ramp back up they will dump those as well

Reactions: Roy W.
You bloody bastard... just after your other posts convinced me to go cash instead of PCP now you're saying I should've waited instead of dropping 60k on the car in March. You'll pay for this! :p

Well prices could also go the other way, if there is less volume to shift the way manufactures make a profit would be to put up prices and increase margins per car!!!

My wife made me watch the news last night, pretty depressing to see the national debt now getting towards WWII levels.

Any of us still considering buying a luxury item at present should count out selves lucky, but COVID is going to make all of us poorer financially one way or another.

My trade in value was reduced, I just took the view that if the current situation demonstrates anything it’s that no one knows what is going to happen today, tomorrow, next week, next second. I was fortunate that I could take, albeit slightly grudgingly, the reduction and I’d rather enjoy the Tesla while I can rather than put it off worrying about unknowns.

If I end up on my death bed cash rich but experience poor, I’ve lost.

• Love
Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel
I had paid Tesla in full about 3 weeks before things really started to fall apart over here. Did briefly consider handing the car back immediately (not like I could really enjoy the 7 days grace) but ultimately took pretty much the same view as you. Money comes and goes, time only goes.

Reactions: Roy W. and Masklin
I bought my new S - LR in February; Tesla trade-in quote was for 1500 on my old Honda. I put it on GumTree at 0900, went shopping, got home at 1300 to 27 replies, three of which offered more than I'd asked. Second person I called back came up and at 3pm I had sold it for three times the Tesla quote.
Advertise locally for free at a reasonable price and forget about trade-in.