Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm soon to swap my BMW for a M3 LR, which I'm super excited about as I'm sure you can imagine.

For various reasons I'm trading my BMW with Tesla.

I have a service light on my BMW currently as a service is just overdue.

Has this been an issue for anyone trading in? I don't recall being asked about the service situation when it was valued etc.

All previous services were completed when due etc.

I'm soon to swap my BMW for a M3 LR, which I'm super excited about as I'm sure you can imagine.

For various reasons I'm trading my BMW with Tesla.

I have a service light on my BMW currently as a service is just overdue.

Has this been an issue for anyone trading in? I don't recall being asked about the service situation when it was valued etc.

All previous services were completed when due etc.
Tesla barely look at the car when you trade it in so doubt that'll be an issue.

Having said that, most service lights on BMWs can either be reset by updating the service date within the idrive or by a sequence of button presses (depending on the modal you have).

Have you tried to search to see how to reset the service light on your BMW? If it's a general service and not a specific part (for conditional based servicing) there should be a way for you to reset it without connecting to the OBDII port.

I cannot say for every scenario, but we waited a long time for delivery and sods law, in the last 2 weeks before collection, the 9000 mile service message popped up. I called Tesla, explained the situation and was told not a problem which it wasn't. The need for service was mentioned in the auction details, so someone does check them, but not until the car is shipped off on the transporter.

Personally, I would call them though just to avoid any nasty surprise when you don't need it.

Thank you both for your replies, I'll double check. Out of interest where did you see your car being auctioned after? Might be painful to find out what it goes for! It's the aggravation discount I'm considering it as!

Thank you both for your replies, I'll double check. Out of interest where did you see your car being auctioned after? Might be painful to find out what it goes for! It's the aggravation discount I'm considering it as!
I'd suggest saying your fond farewells just before dropping it off at Tesla :) It'll soon be a distant memory once you're sat in your new car anyway.

If you are into sadomasochism, I suspect it'll appear on 'copart' at some point after you sell. There's not too many large car auction companies in the UK that deal with B2B.

Sods law my Golf's service light came on a few weeks before the big day (trading in with Tesla), but fortunately Google came to the rescue with some odd combination of wiper stalk and holding down something else to reset the service light. On the day Tesla did very quickly check the car, but I think it was just the odometer reading, although there's no knowing if they would've kicked up a fuss if there were any warning lights when they checked... I'd be surprised if the BMW doesn't have a way of resetting it.

I'd suggest saying your fond farewells just before dropping it off at Tesla :) It'll soon be a distant memory once you're sat in your new car anyway.

If you are into sadomasochism, I suspect it'll appear on 'copart' at some point after you sell. There's not too many large car auction companies in the UK that deal with B2B.
I asked my wife to take a photo of me and the Golf before handing it over. I can confirm I have not had any sad thoughts about it, and I certainly haven't missed it (even though it was a great little car).

I traded in my 5 Series Beemer and had a DPF fault appear a week before the trade in date. I got a local garage to look at it and their verdict was it needed replacing, rather than just cleaning, which was a £3k job.

Decided to fess up to Tesla and they couldn't have cared less! They took my old car without even looking at it and I never heard a peep about it.

I've since read on here that Tesla take the rough with the smooth on trade-ins. As their trade-in values are pretty mean they can afford to take a hit when they get a lemon like my car.

I might check out the auction if I'm feeling brave enough! Probably will forget very quickly though.

I traded in my 5 Series Beemer and had a DPF fault appear a week before the trade in date. I got a local garage to look at it and their verdict was it needed replacing, rather than just cleaning, which was a £3k job.

Decided to fess up to Tesla and they couldn't have cared less! They took my old car without even looking at it and I never heard a peep about it.

I've since read on here that Tesla take the rough with the smooth on trade-ins. As their trade-in values are pretty mean they can afford to take a hit when they get a lemon like my car.

Funny you should say that, I'm in the process of getting a warranty repair sorted before I trade in, been a right nuisance but its in progress now and should be all sorted before the big day (20th). Nothing like cutting it fine!

Hello all, first post here.

Not sure if this is in the right place or it required a new thread, but I contacted Tesla this week to enquire about trading in my Model 3 for the facelift and was offered £6000 less than what WBAC and HeyCar offered. I don't mind if Tesla/BCA had come in as the worst quote, but I didn't expect the quote to be that bad

After all, I'm trying to be a loyal customer.

Hello all, first post here.

Not sure if this is in the right place or it required a new thread, but I contacted Tesla this week to enquire about trading in my Model 3 for the facelift and was offered £6000 less than what WBAC and HeyCar offered. I don't mind if Tesla/BCA had come in as the worst quote, but I didn't expect the quote to be that bad

After all, I'm trying to be a loyal customer.

Loyalty seems a novel concept these days, Tesla no exception. They did the same to me on trade in quote, sold to WBAC instead and lost 3k from what I paid, which was 4K more than the Tesla offer. Given that the car saved me a bundle on petrol over 15months of ownership and tyres had worn quite a bit I was very pleased with the outcome. No idea how WBAC make their money given they go straight to auction!!

I'm not convinced that there ever has been such a thing as loyalty, at least between car retailers and customers. A former colleague of mine would buy a new VW Golf every couple of years, and always extol the excellent service he had from the local VW dealership. He'd been buying new cars from them for something like 20 years. Another friend ended up working in the same garage, and told me that my former colleague was seen by the sales team as a sucker, as he kept buying new cars at full list price and accepting trade-in values that were well below book value. Every time he bought a new car they had a sweepstake as to how much excess profit they would end up making on the deal.

I bought several Toyota's from a local dealership, and had pretty good service from them, but I never once accepted a trade in offer from them, and more than once I walked out saying that I'd changed my mind and wasn't going to buy a new car after all, when they wouldn't shift on the price. The price of new cars depended on whether or not they had met their sales targets in a particular period, so it paid to be patient, walk away if they wouldn't cut a reasonable deal and try again the next month.

Just to chime in with my experiences, back in september I did a Tesla trade in quote, when owning a tesla was a meer pipe dream, and they offered me 29k, which was actually a lot more than I expected so I started the ball rolling on getting a Tesla.

2 weeks ago I was finally ready to pull the trigger, so I did a new trade in quote (as the old one had expired) and they came back with 24k! There was no way I could afford to take that much of a hit on it and the whole idea was about to go up in smoke.

I checked WBAC and they offered me 27, which honestly was about the bare minimum I was happy to take, but then you read the small print and from dealing with them before I knew they were going to find every single excuse possible to knock the price down, then there's a £75 admin fee and this and that and whatever...

Then I found a company called Motorway. Never heard of them before so did some due diligence and gave them a punt, they initially came back with 27,500 - checked if I was happy with that, put the car up for some kind of auction and ended up selling it to Toyota (it was a toyota) for the original price, with no deductions or charges.

Guy came and picked it up yesterday. Whole experience was quite weird but glad it went through without a hitch, so now I'm just driving my boys car until I finally get my M3!

Then I found a company called Motorway. Never heard of them before so did some due diligence and gave them a punt, they initially came back with 27,500 - checked if I was happy with that, put the car up for some kind of auction and ended up selling it to Toyota (it was a toyota) for the original price, with no deductions or charges.

Guy came and picked it up yesterday. Whole experience was quite weird but glad it went through without a hitch, so now I'm just driving my boys car until I finally get my M3!

Another Motorway user here, they should be collecting early next week. The agreed sale is nearly 5k more than the Tesla trade-in offer.

Given that the car is also collected from home, it seems to be a bloody good system.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Out of interest my valuations from WBAC, Motorway & Tesla were very similar. (In fact my first valuation from Tesla expired and they re-did it and the valuation went up a few hundred quid).

In the end I didn't reset the service light. On the day they didn't even physically see my trade in. I went in, was told to park it in a car park around the back. I handed over the keys and V5 to the rep who gave me my M3 and drove away without them even seeing my old car, so I imagine service light is the last of their concerns.

Another Motorway user here, they should be collecting early next week. The agreed sale is nearly 5k more than the Tesla trade-in offer.

Given that the car is also collected from home, it seems to be a bloody good system.

The only thing I found weird, and ymmv on this, is that because I had a little balance to pay off my finance, I had to send the dealer a little over 1k, then the guy came to pick it up and asked for my signature on his tablet after appriasing the vehicle, but there was no "receipt" if you like and no proof of payment, the car just got driven away.

Have been assured by motorway that this is "normal" but yeah...felt odd.

Still not seen any payment to my finance, but then the finance is with Toyota and its Toyota that bought the car so I'm not overly worried.

The only thing I found weird, and ymmv on this, is that because I had a little balance to pay off my finance, I had to send the dealer a little over 1k, then the guy came to pick it up and asked for my signature on his tablet after appriasing the vehicle, but there was no "receipt" if you like and no proof of payment, the car just got driven away.

Have been assured by motorway that this is "normal" but yeah...felt odd.

Still not seen any payment to my finance, but then the finance is with Toyota and its Toyota that bought the car so I'm not overly worried.

Luckily mine's very straightforward, key for cash. The car's in excellent condition, so just hoping they don't scrabble for cheeky last minute reductions or something silly.