Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade-In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the history of Tesla's trade-in offers. I have a high mileage car that I wasn't going to trade-in, but now I'm thinking I am going to. Carmax is offering $4500, however Edmunds says it's worth about $7500. I haven't taken it to Tesla yet, but just wondering if there are any people that have gotten quotes from both Carmax and Tesla and how they compare.

TIA

Unless you have a specific tax reason to trade, avoid it and sell through another provider or private party. I ordered in October, was given a 30-day quote from Tesla, and then they reviewed it and dropped it by $3,600 in just that month, which is a big depreciation hit. I should have just sold the car in October to Vroom/Carvana/Carmax.

Don't bother with Tesla OR Carmax. Tesla was the worst, but Carmax right behind. It was a waste of time with both. I got the highest quote with Vroom, and I'm in the process of selling them my trade. They offered 2 grand more than Tesla, and like $1,500 more than CarMax, but my car is worth almost 18 grand, so expect a lesser difference. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: westernvine
Don't bother with Tesla OR Carmax. Tesla was the worst, but Carmax right behind. It was a waste of time with both. I got the highest quote with Vroom, and I'm in the process of selling them my trade. They offered 2 grand more than Tesla, and like $1,500 more than CarMax, but my car is worth almost 18 grand, so expect a lesser difference. Good luck.

Appreciate the insight/data; just for comparison sake, at the time, Tesla initially offered me $4,000 over Vroom, which was already $500 over CarMax; however, I now realize selling to either with the new Tesla trade-in values means I'm the fool in the end, since it's been months.

When I sold a BMW 435i recently, I got the impression that the industry is a bit of a scam... maybe just because the dealerships are so corporate; I accidentally pulled a CarMax valuation for my VIN a few days before approaching the dealership; they told me, "hey, looks like you got a quote of $24,000 from CarMax recently; we'll save you the drive [20 miles away], and will match their $24,000". I was annoyed, because they must all be selling data on this sort of stuff, or all use the same algorithms and tables to value all the depreciation.

It's unfortunate that Tesla isn't more "on market" when it comes to trade values not only for the convenience some customers like but because most states have a sales tax advantage when trading with selling dealer/retailer e.g., a $25k trade in a 7% sales tax state could result in $1,750 in tax savings.