Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to understand the Tesla trade in process.
I ordered new model X but the delivery is expected in 2-3 months, I will trade in a car and already submitted the details and got the trade in value which I like. the thing is I have 30 days to accept it but the new X would not be delivered in that time frame.

Can I keep on using my car until the delivery? any limitations?
Anyone have any previous experience with this process?

Good question? I got an estimate on a trade-in but was not impressed (higher mileage car.) I would think you could let the estimate expire and do it again in a couple months. They have the estimate web page standalone, so you can do it anytime outside of your car purchase as well.

I bought the refresh model x. Have a coupe and an suv that I’m selling. The Tesla trade in price for the coupe was embarrassingly low. Tesla called and said it was the best they could do. I sold it on my own for 20k more than their offer. It was a 2010 911 turbo so maybe it was just the type of car. However, I also got a quote for my 2015 BMW X5 and they quoted me 10k below Kelly blue book trade in value...it’s got 60k miles so not too high for the model year. I’ll likely sell on my own as well.

Anyway...the answer is that you have to get another quote closer to the time of delivery and there’s a good chance it will be lower (hopefully not by much)

I bought the refresh model x. Have a coupe and an suv that I’m selling. The Tesla trade in price for the coupe was embarrassingly low. Tesla called and said it was the best they could do. I sold it on my own for 20k more than their offer. It was a 2010 911 turbo so maybe it was just the type of car. However, I also got a quote for my 2015 BMW X5 and they quoted me 10k below Kelly blue book trade in value...it’s got 60k miles so not too high for the model year. I’ll likely sell on my own as well.

Anyway...the answer is that you have to get another quote closer to the time of delivery and there’s a good chance it will be lower (hopefully not by much)

That’s very frustrating because you don’t get the tax help when you buy the car without a trade in I’d imagine.

The "final" trade offer is good for 30 days or 1k additional miles. Since you won't be taking delivery of your next vehicle within that time frame, you'll have to resubmit for an updated value. As you get closer to your delivery date, you may also want to get quotes from CarMax, Carvana, etc. as backups.

As others have pointed out, check with other places like CarMax. Last year Tesla offered us $5K for a 2011 BMW 335i with 25,000 miles. We took to CarMax and walked away in 30 minutes with a check for $10,000+.

Generally, Tesla will match a CarMax quote. You could have had a $10,000 trade-in as opposed to a check.

Just got a quote from tesla for my 12/16 MX that has 63k which I bought last Feb for $65k. Trade in quote gave me was $36k, ridiculous as I was expecting maybe 50-50k at least since it still has 3 years warranty remaining and there are not too many 6 seaters our there.

Just got a quote from tesla for my 12/16 MX that has 63k which I bought last Feb for $65k. Trade in quote gave me was $36k, ridiculous as I was expecting maybe 50-50k at least since it still has 3 years warranty remaining and there are not too many 6 seaters our there.
$36k is certainly low but expecting more than $50k in trade is unrealistic. Below is a link to a 12/16 MX 75D with much fewer miles (34k), 6 seat, FSD, clean history, etc. for $53,600 retail.
2016 Model X | Tesla

Related question. I placed a refresh order with a May-June timeframe and was shocked to get a call/text 40 min later from my delivery advisor. I plan on trading in a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor on my account. When I start to fill out the forum it states “confirm exact kilometers” in the box. I’m in the US and it seems a bit strange. Is that normal? I hesitate to complete it in case it’s a website localization description error. The conversion could be a big change if it really wants miles. That and just like the OP, seems way too soon.

upload_2021-2-20_17-49-11.jpeg

Has anyone recently traded in a model X (or any Tesla) with FSD ?

Elon reported that Tesla would begin recognizing FSD value as part of a trade in. While I am not expecting the full $10K, I'd expect to see some portion of that price reflected.
I believe Elon's comment was that he'd “look into” a claim that Tesla doesn’t value FSD on trades. I don't think there is any evidence one way or another that they did or didn't recognize FSD values. There are too many variables (miles, other options, condition, inventory needs/demand at the time, etc.) to know for sure if a particular offer "appropriately" values FSD or not.

If Tesla wants to lock in a sale and/or wants a trade for inventory, etc. they will make a fair(er) offer. If not, they won't. This is regardless of FSD or no FSD. All you really have to work with is the bottom line trade value. If it's "better" than what you can from other dealers, take it. If not, sell it elsewhere or keep the car. How much of the value is attributed to (or claimed to be attributed to) FSD doesn't really change the overall transaction. The offer is what it is.

Reactions: Bigriver
It seems to me that Tesla is only reluctantly in the used car business. They need to accept used cars as trades, but really don’t try to maximize how you feel about it. Clearly all non-Tesla’s go off to auction. I have wondered what fraction of Tesla’s they also send to auction, as I am pretty sure that is what they do with any with non-OEM mods.