Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trashed my music partition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned a Model 3 since March of 2019, and have used a partitioned USB SSD as a dashcam and music storage device since then. I originally set it up as two FAT partitions, and this worked fine for years. Recently, I've noticed that the TeslaCam logo has been showing a red "X" from time to time, but not 100% consistently. I figured that the drive was overheating in the summer heat, and might be on the verge of failing entirely, so I pulled it to investigate and perhaps replace it. I discovered, though, that the car has trashed my partitions and created a new single exFAT partition with a label of "TESLADRIVE", wiping out my music partition, and also deleting some old TeslaCam recordings. I hadn't listened to music on that drive in a few weeks; I'd been favoring listening to my phone via Bluetooth. Thus, I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but it was between June 24 (when I know I listened to music off my drive) and July 9 (when I saved a new TeslaCam video in what I now know is the new partition). I had no Tesla software updates in that period, so the rude trashing of my music wasn't triggered by that.

My working hypothesis is that the Tesla software detected a problem with the drive and figured it'd be best to reformat it, thus wiping out my music; however, if somebody has a better idea, or knows for certain what happened, I'd appreciate hearing it. I can, of course, re-create my old music partition (likely on a new drive, since I no longer trust the old one), but if there's something I can do to minimize the risk of the Tesla trashing my partitions in the future, I'd like to know what it is.

Tesla doesn’t automatically reformat USB devices, and it won’t let you format manually in the car if more than one USB (or partition) is detected. My guess is that your USB became corrupt and you might have formatted it unintentionally. Are you the only driver?

Tesla doesn’t automatically reformat USB devices, and it won’t let you format manually in the car if more than one USB (or partition) is detected. My guess is that your USB became corrupt and you might have formatted it unintentionally. Are you the only driver?
I'm the only driver, and I did NOT tell the car to reformat the drive. That said, I did take the car in for routine service on July 1, so I suppose it's possible that the service technician did it for some reason. If it wasn't that, though, then if what you're saying is true, it was caused by a bug, because I most definitely did not initiate this myself.

That should have only been possible if one of the two partitions had been deleted due to corruption or whatever, unless the technician formatted the USB outside of the car. @srs5694, check your service invoice from July 1, maybe it says something about the USB.
There's nothing on the invoice about USB devices, TeslaCam, or anything closely related. The closest it mentions is that they checked the car's firmware version and did not force an update. Thus, if Tesla did it, they didn't log it in any way that showed up in my invoice.