Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trip Data vs. Range Metrics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TylerTCF

Dec 23, 2018
Tx
Hi everyone! I have been reading tonight about something that has been bothering me. I noticed when looking at my Wh/mi and kWh used for my daily commute (based on the Trip menu) do not match the significant Range drop I'm seeing. I use about 320-360 Wh/mi depending on air temp/heating, see between 15.5-16.4kWh used, and drive between 44 and 47 miles depending on my routing. With all that said, I am seeing 52-65 miles range drop. I would think that systems being used by the car would all be calculated into my Wh/mi calculation. With that said, I can't explain the huge inconsistency in mileage. See the image I attached with the actual kWh used vs. the amount of kWh I would have had to use to make my range drop as much as advertised.

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 9.40.29 PM.png

This has been consistent over the last few months, but just now thought to ask about it. What am I missing?

Is there somewhere in my car's computer that is logging he history of all my drives so I can figure more out about this? I'm a data junkie and this is driving me insane.

The trip computer doesn’t account for energy that’s used while the car is “off.” Examples include pre-conditioning, climate control while you’re sitting in the car but before you press the brake pedal and phantom drain of about 1% per day while parked.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The trip computer doesn’t account for energy that’s used while the car is “off.” Examples include pre-conditioning, climate control while you’re sitting in the car but before you press the brake pedal and phantom drain of about 1% per day while parked.

Thanks. I will turn off pre conditioning and try this again since 1% per day phantom draining is only when its not plugged in, which for me is one third of a percent then (only when I am at work) and would equate to a couple miles not 20.

My guess is that the range estimation uses a different Wh/mi than your actual consumption. Switch to battery percentage and try to estimate the consumed kWh based on that.
For example the 85D has a battery with 77.5 kWh usable capacity. Deduct 5% for degradation so your 100% is around 73.6kWh. So the 16.4kWh usage is around 22% battery charge drop.

If 22% drop was 61 miles, that puts the 100% range to 277 miles which is close to the 85D range. However I don't know which model you have.

Hi everyone! I have been reading tonight about something that has been bothering me. I noticed when looking at my Wh/mi and kWh used for my daily commute (based on the Trip menu) do not match the significant Range drop I'm seeing. I use about 320-360 Wh/mi depending on air temp/heating, see between 15.5-16.4kWh used, and drive between 44 and 47 miles depending on my routing. With all that said, I am seeing 52-65 miles range drop. I would think that systems being used by the car would all be calculated into my Wh/mi calculation. With that said, I can't explain the huge inconsistency in mileage. See the image I attached with the actual kWh used vs. the amount of kWh I would have had to use to make my range drop as much as advertised.

View attachment 363526

This has been consistent over the last few months, but just now thought to ask about it. What am I missing?

Is there somewhere in my car's computer that is logging he history of all my drives so I can figure more out about this? I'm a data junkie and this is driving me insane.
You are comparing apples and oranges here. Rated miles are the equivalent of a fixed amount of energy and will be consumed at a fixed Wh/rated mi, depending on your car configuration. Driving at 361 Wh/mi is much higher than the rated mile equivalent, so that is why you see such a big discrepancy between driven miles and rated miles used. If you were driving at something around 280 Wh/mi (assuming you have a model S), instead of 361 Wh/mi, then you would see that your rated miles used would be much closer to your actual miles driven.
What car configuration are you driving? Because 361 Wh/mi seems a little high for a model S.

Last edited:
You are comparing apples and oranges here. Rated miles are the equivalent of a fixed amount of energy and will be consumed at a fixed Wh/rated mi, depending on your car configuration. Driving at 361 Wh/mi is much higher than the rated mile equivalent, so that is why you see such a big discrepancy between driven miles and rated miles used. If you were driving at something around 280 Wh/mi (assuming you have a model S), instead of 361 Wh/mi, then you would see that your rated miles used would be much closer to your actual miles driven.
What car configuration are you driving? Because 361 Wh/mi seems a little high for a model S.

I am normally between 310 and 333 but it has been cold and my copilots are heating quite a bit. Highways here are 75mph which makes lower numbers less feasible. I am driving a MS 90D on 21s.