Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Truck vs other Trucks? Which would you get and why?

Tesla Truck vs Other Truck

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All things equal, which they never are, I certainly would consider a Tesla EV truck. The problem is that for me, a truck is a tool, one that gets beat up and neglected for much of its life (I use my truck to get deep off road for hunting, scouting, gathering firewood, etc.) My current truck was $29,000 new (this was 2009) and I still feel a bit bad about the abuse it endures. These days, a similar truck would run $40,000. Not cheap, but I doubt any EV truck, let alone a Tesla, with the same type of capabilities would come anywhere close to that price.

If you own a truck as a statement, rather than for the utility of the vehicle, then it's all probably moot and price isn't as important.

Reactions: outdoors
I have to assume an Elon Musk designed truck is coming with some insane functionality. Hopefully it has the ability to revamp how trucks are used in a good way.

Time will tell but I’ll be keeping a close eye on the details this truck offers. If they can nail the design and appearance then I have no doubt it will be a hit. If it looks bad, or small then it might be a bust.

Interested to see how they overcome aerodynamics and give it strong range over a typical gas powered truck

We don't know much about the Tesla truck but we know a lot about the Rivian. The Rivian specs are great but they have no charging network. With up to 180 kWh battery, you'll be needing a good fast charger for road trips. Also Rivian ahs never built trucks or cars. Tesla has built cars so that is two advantages. I just wish there were more Tesla truck specs.

All things equal, which they never are, I certainly would consider a Tesla EV truck. The problem is that for me, a truck is a tool, one that gets beat up and neglected for much of its life (I use my truck to get deep off road for hunting, scouting, gathering firewood, etc.) My current truck was $29,000 new (this was 2009) and I still feel a bit bad about the abuse it endures. These days, a similar truck would run $40,000. Not cheap, but I doubt any EV truck, let alone a Tesla, with the same type of capabilities would come anywhere close to that price.

If you own a truck as a statement, rather than for the utility of the vehicle, then it's all probably moot and price isn't as important.

Well put. Made me laugh at the "Made me feel bad about the abuse it endure" haha Good to know that when I buy i might want to remember that sentiment ;)

Well put. Made me laugh at the "Made me feel bad about the abuse it endure" haha Good to know that when I buy i might want to remember that sentiment ;)

The truth is that one of the first things I did when I got my P85D back in 2014 was take it offroad during a winter storm. It was the most expensive car I had ever owned and I couldn't help myself. That P85D actually was very good on muddy, rutted trails.

If Ford said it was working with Rivian to help them build a truck or Rivian said they were helping Ford build an electric vehicle, I'd be a whole lot more excited. Each has its own expertise with little overlap. Rivian has said that they are not going to vertically integrate like Tesla. Ford and other car mfrs (except Tesla) only build engines and bodies now. Even transmissions are outsourced. That can work until you change power plants and have to include batteries and have software to operate the inverter(s) battery management. Tesla is also killing by having OTA updates that not only fix things but add features.

Hurry up Elon. Need to replace our 150.

IMG_6499.jpeg

Can't help but wonder that Tesla went back to the design board after the Rivian release and is adding features and making changes to challenge Rivian. Although it's a little smaller than I hope the Tesla truck is, the more I see of the Rivian the more I like. Tempted to put a deposit down but need to wait on the Tesla reveal.
With Teslas tech, they have to do better than Rivians ~450-475 Watts/mile for range, and hopefully they stick to dual motors. I cant really see that big of a benefit for 4 motors. Weight, extra components to break doesnt seem to make sense. You obviously dont need 10k ft/lbs of torque, so two motors delivering even half that seems like overkill. I'll take more battery, or the Battery backpack option Rivian is proposing is pretty sweet.

Very true
Tesla's Supercharger network is impossible to ignore.
Very true. Going up and down for a weekend camping trip towing my trailer, I was wishing I could do that with a Tesla, but there is no way it makes sense to have to disconnect a trailer to charge. Tesla will need to make some adjustment either way to allow the Tesla truck to be utilized the way its intended (as a truck, towing things). There are tons of rest stops that all the semis park and rest at, seems logical to leverage those locations for Trucks and Semi..

Very true

Very true. Going up and down for a weekend camping trip towing my trailer, I was wishing I could do that with a Tesla, but there is no way it makes sense to have to disconnect a trailer to charge. Tesla will need to make some adjustment either way to allow the Tesla truck to be utilized the way its intended (as a truck, towing things). There are tons of rest stops that all the semis park and rest at, seems logical to leverage those locations for Trucks and Semi..

I don't know how common the setup is, but at the Seaside, OR supercharger, the 8 chargers are arranged as 4 chargers each, on what would be 2 sides of a single aisle where cars park. So typically, one would pull nose first into a slot, from either side.

But that setup ALSO enabled somebody with a trailer in tow to pull through one spot into the next spot. You take up 2 spaces, but at least when I did it, I was the only one there charging. And then when done charging, you can continue forwarding, pulling out and away, and never need to unhook or back the trailer getting in and out.

Of the <10 superchargers I've charged at, that was the only 1 with that setup :|

Can't help but wonder that Tesla went back to the design board after the Rivian release and is adding features and making changes to challenge Rivian. Although it's a little smaller than I hope the Tesla truck is, the more I see of the Rivian the more I like. Tempted to put a deposit down but need to wait on the Tesla reveal.
With Teslas tech, they have to do better than Rivians ~450-475 Watts/mile for range, and hopefully they stick to dual motors. I cant really see that big of a benefit for 4 motors. Weight, extra components to break doesnt seem to make sense. You obviously dont need 10k ft/lbs of torque, so two motors delivering even half that seems like overkill. I'll take more battery, or the Battery backpack option Rivian is proposing is pretty sweet.
Four motors splits the torque at any given power level=fewer snapped axles. Also with motors for each wheel, there is less chance of jackknifing.