Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Truck vs other Trucks? Which would you get and why?

Tesla Truck vs Other Truck

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point, I guess I'm hoping Ford offers some help in Rivian's build quality as the drivetrain seems to be solid. The issues I've had with Tesla stems from poor build quality and then the poor service/workmanship afterwards so nothing gets fixed. Hands down the worst car buying and ownership experience.

I've not followed the Rivian closely. Is Ford helping to design it? Build it?

Don't read too much into this. It's not like they are going to take the first 100,000 built. They will have a pilot project, then a larger trial and only after they find them to be roadworthy and reliable and they can actually fulfill the duties required will the full order be released.

Either way, these won't be pickup trucks, so who cares?

I've not followed the Rivian closely. Is Ford helping to design it? Build it?

Ford & Amazon invested something like $700 million into Rivian this year, probably for the "skateboard" drivetrain. If Ford is going to put the F150 badge on a EV drivetrain that Rivian builds, there must be some input on something, but who knows what the arrangement is.

Either way, these won't be pickup trucks, so who cares?

All about that "skateboard" drivetrain.

Last edited:
No, it's not. My model X has a great drive train. It's the rest of the car and the service department that is crap.

eh?? Same for my model 3. The drivetrain has been great, everything else is garbage (especially service).

I was referring to Rivian's skateboard that Amazon/Ford is investing in. People care about this news because variants of this skateboard are probably going to be used across Rivian's vehicles, including these 100k Amazon vans and probably the F150.

Sure it mostly PR for now, but I'm hopefuly Rivian emerges as a legitimate competitor so Tesla gets's their crap together and improves build and service.

Last edited:
eh?? Same for my model 3. The drivetrain has been great, everything else is garbage (especially service).

I was referring to Rivian's skateboard that Amazon/Ford is investing in. People care about this news because variants of this skateboard are probably going to be used across Rivian's vehicles, including these 100k Amazon vans and probably the F150.

Sure it mostly PR for now, but I'm hopefuly Rivian emerges as a legitimate competitor so Tesla gets's their crap together and improves build and service.

Personally I don't think that will change Tesla. In many companies the culture comes down from the top and that is certainly true for Tesla. I sincerely think Tesla will stay the course too long and end up going under rather than adapt and change to fix such obvious defects in the company, which is more important that fixing the cars. I hope I am wrong, not that it will matter to me much other than potentially loosing my free supercharging. The value of Teslas seem to drop pretty quickly so the money I've spent is sunk cost for having an awesome accelerator pedal and that's pretty much all.

I think the many years of knowing what the public wants from cars will outweigh high tech wizardry with the existing world wide companies dominating the EV market. Yeah, they won't get off to a stellar start, but Tesla is focusing on things like having the fastest production car at Nurburgring when other companies will focus on the issues that buyers actually care about.

Personally I don't think that will change Tesla. In many companies the culture comes down from the top and that is certainly true for Tesla. I sincerely think Tesla will stay the course too long and end up going under rather than adapt and change to fix such obvious defects in the company, which is more important that fixing the cars.

I actually feel the same that it's only a matter of time, maybe a couple of years max. I live 25 miles from Fremont and sucks to see the company turn out this way (the tech sector in general with these a-hole CEOs). Agile methodology works for software startups to a certain point in the business lifecycle, not such much manufacturing and service it seems. The competition's becoming good enough to not deal with Tesla's bs...

Yeah, they won't get off to a stellar start, but Tesla is focusing on things like having the fastest production car at Nurburgring when other companies will focus on the issues that buyers actually care about.

I fell for FSD's promises which have had its goalposts move so much since I bought into it and the competition's tacc and lane assist is good enough for most people's use cases. I can't wait for 2020/2021 to see what Rivian, Daimler, VAG, and Hyundai/Kia offer.

I actually feel the same that it's only a matter of time, maybe a couple of years max. I live 25 miles from Fremont and sucks to see the company turn out this way (the tech sector in general with these a-hole CEOs). Agile methodology works for software startups to a certain point in the business lifecycle, not such much manufacturing and service it seems. The competition's becoming good enough to not deal with Tesla's bs...

I fell for FSD's promises which have had its goalposts move so much since I bought into it and the competition's tacc and lane assist is good enough for most people's use cases. I can't wait for 2020/2021 to see what Rivian, Daimler, VAG, and Hyundai/Kia offer.

I think i've said before that my preference will be for a slightly smaller pickup than a full sized F150 type beast. The T100 I used to own was perfect in most ways. Make it an EV with enough range and I don't know I'd drive my model X again. That's a big "if" though. With the winter weather impact it would need a lot of battery to get 300 mile range from a pickup. It seems Rivian is doing the same thing. They have a storage compartment where the gas tank used to be in an ICE.

I'd also be too worried about the battery to take it off road much. They put them on the bottom where they are exposed to being impaled. Rivian has a storage compartment where the gas tank would be in an ICE pickup.

Batteries will do nothing but get better. And software will help. Like Tesla conditioning your battery while navigating to a Supercharger.

Yes, it will be a similar progression to what ICE went through 100 years ago. It was some 50 years before they started making cars that would actually run reliably and be comfortable. It will probably be something like that before we have affordable batteries that don't dominate the weight of the car and provide sufficient range to not need to charge three times in a days trip driving. There will be a lot of progress made because there is so much room for progress.

Way back when, Jimmy Dolittle had a heck of a time convincing the gasoline companies to make any octane higher than about 80 for airplanes. They kept saying "There's no demand" and he kept saying "build it and there will be demand". High performance military piston engines used 105 and 120 octane by the end of WWII. (If I remember correctly)