Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Truck vs other Trucks? Which would you get and why?

Tesla Truck vs Other Truck

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this in Sweden.

IMG_7511.jpeg

Ok, maybe three motors then? 1 in the front, two in the back? Seems the limitation is delivering the amperage to the motors, not the motors themselves?
So, with the recent news of the Plaid MS, MX line, 3 motors on the Truck would probably make sense by the time they are ready to deliver the truck and costs go down. Problem is, its like Christmas Eve for three more freakn years though!
Anticipation is killing me.

We don't know much about the Tesla truck but we know a lot about the Rivian. The Rivian specs are great but they have no charging network. With up to 180 kWh battery, you'll be needing a good fast charger for road trips. Also Rivian ahs never built trucks or cars. Tesla has built cars so that is two advantages. I just wish there were more Tesla truck specs.

There is some humor there. Tesla is terrible at designing and building cars. Tesla is good at designing and building drivelines. Totally different.

I was washing my car the other day and I realized just how hard it is to get into all the places where dirt, leaves and worse, salt will be accumulating. My car is horrible with all sorts of intermittent problems.

The Rivian is going to be some sort of a Super Truck. The Tesla will be some sort of an Uber Truck. I like EVs, but i just want them to be cars and trucks. Make them practical and pretty and electric... like GM and Ford are going to do.

I'll actually be surprised if Ford's first all electric vehicle isn't an F150, but maybe not. They may want to stick their toe in the water with some sort of SUV first.

I had a Toyota T100 which was a bit smaller than a full sized pickup without being as small as the compact pickups. Goldilocks size. I doubt anyone will make an EV that size. That reminds me, I'm not sure the Rivian is really a truck. Isn't that bed a bit small? Or is the rest of the truck rather large?

My next truck will be dependent on the service network because Tesla's service is atrocious in its own home base of the Bay Area. If Rivian's service is being done by Ford and the build quailty is better than current Tesla (not very difficult) the R1S is definitely going to be my next vehicle.

My next truck will be dependent on the service network because Tesla's service is atrocious in its own home base of the Bay Area. If Rivian's service is being done by Ford and the build quailty is better than current Tesla (not very difficult) the R1S is definitely going to be my next vehicle.
@ the Atlanta Rivian showing Scaringe was asked about the service and said "Service will not be done by Ford"

I had a Toyota T100 which was a bit smaller than a full sized pickup without being as small as the compact pickups. Goldilocks size. I doubt anyone will make an EV that size. That reminds me, I'm not sure the Rivian is really a truck. Isn't that bed a bit small? Or is the rest of the truck rather large?

It kind of reminds of the old Chevrolet Avalanche that looked like a Tahoe with trunk spaced chopped off... more of a weekend warrior truck.

@ the Atlanta Rivian showing Scaringe was asked about the service and said "Service will not be done by Ford"

Well that really sucks.... Hopefully, they don't go Tesla's route of focusing on sales/production numbers and leaving owners with the worst service in the industry.

I've learned my lesson buying at Tesla. I don't think I'll buy any more vehicles from companies that haven't made a few millions. Do you really expect the initial Rivian to be a great vehicle in the sense of reliability and longevity? I wouldn't buy a Ford F150 EV until they've sold a million either. Also, I don't like the really large trucks. Last year I picked up a 2005 Tundra and it's too large for me. Nice ride and back seat though. If they make an EV version of the T100 I'd be in... after they sell a million. lol

I've learned my lesson buying at Tesla. I don't think I'll buy any more vehicles from companies that haven't made a few millions. Do you really expect the initial Rivian to be a great vehicle in the sense of reliability and longevity? I wouldn't buy a Ford F150 EV until they've sold a million either. Also, I don't like the really large trucks. Last year I picked up a 2005 Tundra and it's too large for me. Nice ride and back seat though. If they make an EV version of the T100 I'd be in... after they sell a million. lol

Fair point, I guess I'm hoping Ford offers some help in Rivian's build quality as the drivetrain seems to be solid. The issues I've had with Tesla stems from poor build quality and then the poor service/workmanship afterwards so nothing gets fixed. Hands down the worst car buying and ownership experience.

The S I purchased in early 2013 has been as good as any other car I've had and much better than some. If I needed a truck, I'd go with Tesla.

I typically buy 3/4 ton crew cab, standard bed (6.5’) diesel 4x4 pickups. I have a Denali HD currently. I don’t tow or haul heavy loads but like having the extra capability “just in case” plus the 700 plus mile cruising range on a tank of diesel.

I hope the Tesla truck challenges the traditional notions of what a truck is (crew cab, 5.5’, 6.5’, or 8’ box, etc.). If it’s going to look like a mini version of the semi, with little to no hood, Tesla has the chance to put longer boxes on trucks that have the same footprint as regular trucks. It would be a real differentiator. Something like that with 500 plus real world miles of range and I’m in.

If it simply looks like an electric version of a regular pickup, I’d be hard pressed to consider switching to one.

I wouldn’t consider another EV manufacturer besides Tesla due to the robust Supercharging network and the fact that I already have an HPWC in my garage.

Reactions: doghousePVD
My 2013 Model S and my 2016 Model X have been very reliable, not many problems and when there is a problem my SC takes care of it. It is unfortunate if the newer cars are having problems I’m very happy with my Tesla’s and would love to have a truck if it is not weird looking and affordable.