Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla trying to install a used battery in my 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does nobody bother to read anymore? The warranty is not that long. Here are the relevant bits:

“The decision of whether to repair or replace a part or to use a new, reconditioned, or remanufactured part will be made by Tesla, in its sole discretion.”

And:

“If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty repair, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a new, reconditioned or remanufactured part at the sole discretion of Tesla. The warranty replacement may not restore the vehicle to a "like new" condition, but when replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred ”

I’m not surprised Tesla is not offering a new battery. The reason they have the above warranty policy and that they apparently don’t want to sell you a new battery is likely that they need them all for new cars.

... but this is due to an accident and is an insurance case. Has nothing - zero, zip, zilch -to do with warranty.

So, yeah, I can read just fine. Might want to try that yourself.

Does nobody bother to read anymore? The warranty is not that long. Here are the relevant bits:

“The decision of whether to repair or replace a part or to use a new, reconditioned, or remanufactured part will be made by Tesla, in its sole discretion.”

And:

“If your Battery or Drive Unit requires warranty repair, Tesla will repair the unit, or replace it with a new, reconditioned or remanufactured part at the sole discretion of Tesla. The warranty replacement may not restore the vehicle to a "like new" condition, but when replacing a Battery, Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement Battery is at least equal to that of the original Battery before the failure occurred ”

I’m not surprised Tesla is not offering a new battery. The reason they have the above warranty policy and that they apparently don’t want to sell you a new battery is likely that they need them all for new cars.

Apparently you are one of those people that doesn't bother to read. This is not warranty related, it is an insurance claim and thus that language you quote is not applicable. Many insurance policies specify new replacement parts only. Read your policy.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Mine does specify paying for new parts. Tesla refuses to sell a new battery. Nor can I seem to get an estimated trade in value from them, once repairs are completed, so I can include a diminished value amount.

I like my car, but given their size, it’s time for them to start acting like a mature company.

Mine does specify paying for new parts. Tesla refuses to sell a new battery. Nor can I seem to get an estimated trade in value from them, once repairs are completed, so I can include a diminished value amount.

I like my car, but given their size, it’s time for them to start acting like a mature company.

May I ask what insurance you use? Having them specify only new parts is amazing!

For anyone confused, one of OP's most recent posts is this:

"A drive shaft cam off a truck in I-95 and punched a hole in it."

This will indeed be an insurance thing, not necessarily a Tesla thing. You can double-check the details of your policy, but it's entirely normal to use remanufactured/refurbished parts of equivalent performance. Some repairs under insurance also come with their own additional warranties.

Even if this was a non-insurance warranty replacement, Tesla's stated warranty policy is to use something of equivalent capacity at minimum. This could be new or refurbished. You pre-replacement part was used, after all.

Sure its an insurance thing, but who's insurance? If the Trucker's, then the OP could demand OEM. ('you broke my car, now you fix it with OEM parts'.) If the trucker is unknown, then the OP is subject to his/her own insurance policy limits. (assumes a fault state; no-fault states have their own rules/regs)

Regardless, what the OP is saying is that Tesla no longer manufactures new battery packs for the '18 models, so his only solution is a refurb.

Guaranteed "like new"... no. Guaranteed "like what's being replaced"? Yes, of course.

I totally understand where @ZoomsansVroom is coming from... it's shocking to many when they learn that insurance repairs are done often with remanufactured or recycled parts. This isn't a Tesla thing, but an insurance thing.

You of course have the ability to request a new part -- and pay the cost difference yourself. That /would/ be a conversation between you and Tesla.

But all insurance is required to do is return your car to as it was; not necessarily use new parts. They use remanufactured parts wherever possible.

It's infuriating, sure, but that's the reality of the situation.
Do you know this or are you speculating?

I’ve never seen an insurance plan that requires brand new parts. If such exists, I’d love to see one.

Not like I have seen everything (far from it), but I have never seen, heard, or read about any insurance policy that ever specified NEW parts. I have seen, read, heard about insurance policies that require OEM parts, or that allow for purchasing the manufactures part instead of some third party version of said part, but no where have I seen or read, or ever heard about a requirement that the part be new.

Of course, we are not looking at the OPs insurance policy, but I would bet that if you dig into the details of said policy, it specifies parts from the manufacturer, but doesnt say those parts must be new (it may say "like new" though).

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
I’ve never seen an insurance plan that requires brand new parts. If such exists, I’d love to see one.
Your insurance company may offer new OEM parts as an endorsement to the policy.

The endorsement that I purchased from my insurance company states that: "Whenever reasonably available as determined by us, we will specify in our repair estimate the use of new parts furnished by or for an original equipment manufacturer to repair or replace the damaged parts of your covered auto."

The OP has entirely unrealistic expectations. I have an old expedition that was involved in a minor accident a couple years ago. Insurance company only replaced the damaged front end components with used parts. Which was totally acceptable because they aren't responsible for making the truck new again.

Zoom's battery was no longer brand-new the moment he drove the car off the lot. Making the car BETTER than it was before the accident isn't their responsibility. To make you "whole" they have to put it back to the way it was. Which was USED.